Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I confess, I broke down and now I have BOTH readers

Yup, I am an inveterate gadget freak and I now own both a Sony 505 and a Kindle. I thought I would post my own comparisons in case anyone is interested...

For comfortable holding while reading, the Sony wins hands down. Sony incorporated the cover to improve the book-like feel of the device while the Kindle's cover is clunky at best. I can see using it to protect the screen while I carry the Kindle around, but it is not at all comfortable to hold while reading. The good news is, the Kindle slides in and out of it easily.

The Kindle is larger, heavier, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about that keyboard. I use an ebook reader for reading (duh), and that keyboard seems like a lot of extra baggage to carry. I can slide my Sony in my purse, but the Kindle will not fit...Sony wins this one, too. Really the ergonomics of the Sony are hard to beat, I think.

In a side-by-side screen comparison, frankly I can't see any difference. The pictures on the Amazon website make it look like the Kindle's screen is a lot whiter than it actually is. Both screens have dark grey lettering on a light grey screen.

Kindle has a user-replaceable battery, which is nice...and the SD memory slot is under a rubber cover on the back, nicely protected. I'm always afraid I will lose the memory card from my Sony, since hitting it at just the right angle pops it out. I'm not saying it is easy to remove, mind you, but it is not protected like it is on the Kindle.

The Kindle has much better software for organizing and using ebooks, and I do like being able to purchase them directly from the device. I bought a couple of books using my PC on the Amazon website, and they 'showed up' on my Kindle immediately. I bought one using the Kindle, and it also popped up fast. Very nice. Oh and the most expensive was still less than 10 bucks, which is a lesson Sony could stand to learn. It's bugged me for awhile that some ebooks I purchased from Sony could have been had in hardcover format for the same price or even less.

As we all know, both devices are saddled (some would say 'crippled') by the use of proprietary formats. Sony claims their reader will accept PDF files, and it will, but frankly it doesn't display them very well. I learned quickly that I was better off converting them to Sony's format, and there is a lot of software around to do this. Ditto converting ebooks in lit format, text, html, etc etc, a little time spent with Google will provide lots of conversion software.

Kindle uses its own format, but it will also accept Mobi format books (oddly enough, the documentation doesn't say this, but it does work). I downloaded MobiReader (it's free) and imported ebooks in several different formats...the MobiReader converts them as part of the import process. Then I moved them to the Kindle using the USB cable they included in the box, and the books look just fine. So, in both cases, books can be converted for use on the reader without too much trouble. This is good news for those of us who have a goodly collection of ebooks in many formats.

The Kindle comes with a standalone charger, but it will also charge via USB, as can the Sony. This is nice because I carry a universal USB charger in my tote bag, one that works for my cell phone and iPod and a few other gadgets I carry. Either ebook reader adds nicely to this collection.

So....both readers are nice. Both have things that need a bit of work. Neither is perfect. If I could have the Sony's look and feel with the Kindle's features, I'd be a happy camper. I will use both readers (good thing, too, because neither was cheap) and I do not regret either purchase.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As for books prices, take a look at the Connect store. You will see that prices have fallen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
So....both readers are nice. Both have things that need a bit of work. Neither is perfect. If I could have the Sony's look and feel with the Kindle's features, I'd be a happy camper.
Why don't you try cross-breeding the two of them?

Thanks, mdibella, for the excellent comparison of both devices. I pretty much felt it would be as you outline, and i'm sure I'll get a Kindle eventually, probably waiting for the next version and/or a price drop, a la iPhone. If I do, like you, I'll also keep the Reader too.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So....both readers are nice. Both have things that need a bit of work. Neither is perfect. If I could have the Sony's look and feel with the Kindle's features, I'd be a happy camper. I will use both readers (good thing, too, because neither was cheap) and I do not regret either purchase.
Actually, the big bang for me would be the content. I have and prefer the Sony, for the reasons you listed. If I get a kindle it would be for the content availability and pricing thereof. While synching wirelessly is nice... I can live without it. I always have several "to read" books on the Sony so I don't need to worry about having to get something "now" to read.

I'm sure it's to much to hope that Amazon sells allows other readers to consume the kindle files... but I think there gonna make thier money on books not Kindles. I wonder if at $399 they are making money on each device or just using it as way to generate more book sales. Sort of like how the cell carriers really don't make money on the phones... they phone is a way to be able to sell you the services.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
I have both as well. Being a mac guy, I never had access to the Sony Store (I don't have a PC or any windows software) so the Kindle and my Mac get along way better than the Sony Reader 500 did. So this pushed me over the edge and I will probably sell my Sony Reader.

One thing I did notice was that my Kindle is so much FASTER when you open and process a book for the first time. But I don't know if the Sony 505's were faster than the 500's.

Also, this hasn't been talked about before, but my Sony Reader actually would make my hands cold at night (I keep the thermostat low at night in the winter). Since the Kindle is plasticy I don't have the problem.

On the other hand, I paid more for something that is more plastic so that sorta sucks.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
The Kindle comes with a standalone charger, but it will also charge via USB, as can the Sony. This is nice because I carry a universal USB charger in my tote bag, one that works for my cell phone and iPod and a few other gadgets I carry. Either ebook reader adds nicely to this collection.
What kind of USB charger are you using? I have tried a couple of standard 5v USB wall plug chargers with my Sony and none of them charge it. I've read elsewhere that it only accepts a USB charge if plugged into an actual computer. I have no idea *why* this should be, so perhaps you've got the right charger to do it sans computer.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

It is a Sonnet USB adapter I bought on Amazon, and it accepts the cable that came with the Sony reader. Seems to work OK...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
mdibella
Groupie

Hmmmm I plugged in the adapter to the Sony reader and now I am not so sure. I thought I remembered using it to give the reader its first charge, but the charging light is not coming on...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hmmmm I plugged in the adapter to the Sony reader and now I am not so sure. I thought I remembered using it to give the reader its first charge, but the charging light is not coming on...
If the 500 is dead, it will not charge from USB. The 505 however will.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Thanks for the nice comparison! I really like my 505 but gadget envy is messing with my mind. The ergonomics is a big concern and it is interesting to hear that you find the 505 more comfortable to hold. I bought one for my father for Christmas so I'll be trying it in a week or so (he wants me to figure out how to use it so I can teach him so opening it is not as lame as it sounds). I'll report my thoughts then to add to the mix.

-Greg

Last edited by Greg G; 11-21-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
mdibella
Groupie

It is hard to explain, but the 505, in its cover, feels more like a book in my hands. It is weighted like a book and my hands curve around it to hold it like I do when I read a book. So in that context it is easier to forget that it is NOT a book.

The Kindle doesn't sit in my hands like a book does. The weight is distributed differently. And it's awfully easy to turn the page by accident as I move my hands around trying to get it to lie comfortably.

I am not saying it is a fatal flaw, but it's different. It will take getting used to in a way that the Sony did not.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:40 AM   #12
Fzzt
Enthusiast
Fzzt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Great comparison, thanks for posting it.
I'm still waiting on Sony to come through with that special rate for my reader so was interested in how the Kindle stacked up to it.

Some of the reviews I read online made it sound like the only way to get your documents loaded onto the Kindle were to send them to Amazon and pay .10c,
while I don't like the charge for doing something the computer based software should do automatically, I find the idea of possibly having sensitive documents being stored by Amazon to be ludicrous.

*edit - however being able to have someone email you a proposal directly to your reader sure simplifies things.

I agree that they both seem to have their merits and it'll be interesting to see the next versions of these readers.
Fzzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzzt View Post
Great comparison, thanks for posting it.
I second to it.

One of the biggest attractions of Sony Reader for me is its similarity to a real book. I cannot read from PC Monitors not just because of drawbacks of LCD screen (eyeswise) but also because it doesn't feel right in my hand or there are buttons to press and mouse to click.
If Sony ever make 9.7" reader I will definitely buy one. I can live off other bookshops (who drop their prices now, thanks to Kindle ) that sell .lit books with easily removed DRM, which makes my money investment future proof and easily converted to .lrf. I also read almost everyday for 30 minutes in the darkness with Verilux clipped to Sony Reader's cover. Would be quite awkward to do it with Kindle because it is heavier as it is and its odd cover.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
mdibella
Groupie

After more use, I am becoming a bit happier with the feel of the Kindle. I do leave it in the case...it will lock in with a bit of fiddling, and using the case makes the Kindle's funky shape easier to hold.

I see they've sold out of two shipments now...I wonder how many units that is?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:

Your tote bag sounds like my desk at work: ipod, cell phone, ereader, pda, jump drive.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote