Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Kobo Operating Temperature

My kobo does not like the cold, the text fades out the longer it stays outside.

I do understand the technology behind eInk and I can understand why it does that. But the other day I saw a kid reading his kindle while waiting for the train, while I cannot do more that 2 page turn, before I can't see the text correctly or the old page is superimposed on the old, he didn't seems to have a problem. He did have a silicone protector on the back.

Is it just the Kobo that does that? Do you think that a protector would help? Anybody saw the same thing?

Also I just found out the Summary page from 1.4 is nowhere to be found in 1.8.

To the kobo people, please add a sort by series.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Good question, I'd like to know the opposite end as well. I haven't had any problems reading in the sun and temps we have had in the NZ summer but I did leave my kobo out in the direct sun - in it's cover and it was REALLY hot when I picked it up. No damage though. Maybe they are better in sun than they are in the extreme cold
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
As far as sort by series goes- I just used Calibre to edit the metatags of any series I had, and labelled them accordingly. Took only a few minutes, and now there they are and easily found.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
sort by series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
My kobo does not like the cold, the text fades out the longer it stays outside.

I do understand the technology behind eInk and I can understand why it does that. But the other day I saw a kid reading his kindle while waiting for the train, while I cannot do more that 2 page turn, before I can't see the text correctly or the old page is superimposed on the old, he didn't seems to have a problem. He did have a silicone protector on the back.

Is it just the Kobo that does that? Do you think that a protector would help? Anybody saw the same thing?

Also I just found out the Summary page from 1.4 is nowhere to be found in 1.8.

To the kobo people, please add a sort by series.
there is a plugboard script for calibre that sorts by series very well.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo
It fades in cold temperatures, but I still find it readable as long as I'm not out too long. I've used it in temperatures below -20 C for ten minutes or so. It definitely fades, but I can still read it.

I was standing on an outdoor subway platform for about 20 minutes this morning (it was around -11), and it was still functional.

I don't know if it would get progressively worse if I read in the cold for longer than that ... but then again, if I'm reading in the cold for a half hour or more, I might have other things to worry about.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
While it doesn't mention lower limits, the user guide specifies the max operating temp for the Kobo is supposed to be 45c.

One thing to remember about E-ink though is that one of the components of the tech is a liquid (oil to be exact), and like most liquids, expose it to cold enough temperatures, it will freeze. So if you're seeing faded, slower responding text, or ghosting, then chances are you're starting to see the oil solidify, preventing the proper colored pigment to flow through. Not sure what ype of oil its using, but I figure it some sort of mineral oil mix; while mineral oil freezes at -30c, it viscocity starts to degrade/increase below 10C.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fading text can be acceptable, but when there is ghosting it is difficult (just this morning I had 2 page plus the cover showing, for just a few minutes of using). But I was impressed by the Kindle not showing any problem, maybe it is the Kobo that is more susceptible to fading.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
it's always possible I suppose that the silicone skin would offer some sort of protection (deflecting wind, providing some thermal shielding). The basic device and tech are the same as the kobo though, so I'm not sure why it would perform better in colder weather... maybe something to do with the oil being used in the pearl screens compared to the previous gen that the kobo still uses? maybe the processor/memory chips run a bit hotter in the kindle, keeping the overall device warmer?

I've got a leather book cover on mine. I'm going to go bridgehead for a latte and I'll see how mine acts with it *Shrug*

- Update -

So, I spent a bit of time outside and I think my hands were more affected by the cold than the kobo (gloves are too bulky to hit the button with). This morning it's about -17c, and while they aren't reporting a chill factor, I'd beg to differ. On the way to the shop, I left the kobo in its case. I stood outside my office for 5 minutes before casually walking down the street. I was able to get through a chapter with no noticeable change to the screen or page change speed. I stayed in the coffee shop for 10 minutes to warm it up, then took the cover off and walked back to the office. On the way to the shop, I had the wind at my back, but on the way back to the office, it was hitting me, and the kobo, head on. I still took my time heading back and got through another chapter (reading the second book of the night angel trilogy, and chapters are on average about 12-15 pages with my prefered font size). Only by the time I got back to the office did I really notice that the previous pages text was slightly ghosting in the background. The main text was definitely faded, but neither issue caused any complications in reading the text. I'm sure if I had left the cover on, I would not have experienced any issues at all, but I'm sure it still would have degraded over time, however, I probably would have been out of the cold by the time that happened.

Last edited by Psyke; 02-03-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Update.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I found sticking it under your armpit (inside your jacket) to warm it up works to bring the screen back to life
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
I found sticking it under your armpit (inside your jacket) to warm it up works to bring the screen back to life
That's exactly what I do.

By the way thanks Psyke for doing a little testing.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Psyke is right, the screen is oil so it slow's down the colder it gets.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-19-2012 at 11:52 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
mdennis
mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Toronto was super cold last week, got to work plugged in kobo and my screen was a kaleidoscope.

Blaming that on cold if kobo warranty asks
mdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I have an opus, and i noticed some effect of the cold on the screen. Even if not what I would call an "extreme" cold. Same for my orizon. E-ink seams to be cold sensitive.

Quote:
Nigol I think the kindle and the kobo would have the same for ghosting in cold weather because now they use the same screen I think...correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes for K2, no for K3 that have pearl screens.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-10-2011 at 03:27 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
mdennis
mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well after my screen died, sent to kobo and they sent me a brand new kobo. So atleast they are good on warranty service.
mdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
The kid with the Kindle probably had hot hands.

I find it a bit humourous that a machine that's put out by a Canadian company would have problems with cold weather more than with hot...
amo is offline   Reply With Quote