Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
devabe2005
devabe2005 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to set expiry date to my mobi file

Hi Eveyone,

I am converting epub to mobi file by using kindlegen commandline tool. But i Need to set expiry date for my mobi file. So that after expiry date it will not work in kindle device. Please help.
devabe2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devabe2005 View Post
Hi Eveyone,

I am converting epub to mobi file by using kindlegen commandline tool. But i Need to set expiry date for my mobi file. So that after expiry date it will not work in kindle device. Please help.
While the Mobipocket DRM system did allow for an expiry date, I don't think any Kindle devices pay attention to it, nor can you easily set it, since Kindle DRM is per-device and there's no code available to apply the DRM.

In short, what you want isn't possible.

And even if it was possible, Kindle DRM is easily removeable, which would also remove the time limit.

I suggest you have a first page in the book, stating that it is a time limited copy, and that it should not be used after a certain date, and why. i.e. rely on an honour system. It's far more likely to work than any kind of DRM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert