Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #1741
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I've found that trying to get my current collection in order is keeping me from buying new books. I'm both removing DRM from my Amazon buys and organizing my other downloads in Calibur. Updating covers, filling in data, converting all into epub and so on. I've passed the 3k mark and only about another 7k to go.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #1742
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Now my husband has gone to the darkside and fallen in love with audio books, my well laid plans of buy 1 book and we both read it has fallen in a heap.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #1743
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I went to a new bookstore that just opened in Ann Arbor (Literati, and it's small, but lovely) and picked up a book in paper that I've been meaning to read for awhile and never gotten around to - and the friggin' font is too small, so I have to go get it in eformat so I can enlarge the text to a readable size!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #1744
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I went to a new bookstore that just opened in Ann Arbor (Literati, and it's small, but lovely) and picked up a book in paper that I've been meaning to read for awhile and never gotten around to - and the friggin' font is too small, so I have to go get it in eformat so I can enlarge the text to a readable size!
Those days of impossibly small print seem to be over for me. I haven't been able to read or re-read treasured print books in years, even with my reading glasses. I'm so thankful for ereaders.

But...after having cataract surgery early this month in one eye I can now see the tiniest print with cheap Dollar Store reading glasses. Next Wednesday I'm having the second surgery and will re-read Time and Again and The-Seven-Per-Cent Solution, neither available in ebook format. Plus I can read all those lovely Henry Wade Harrap's Shilling Library editions I found last year.

I expected cataract surgery to give me back the ability to take road trips while losing what is left of my near vision. Instead I can read anything again with the cheapest glasses. So I'll likely purchase fewer ebooks with all those shelves of old print treasures available again.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #1745
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
And now, after getting the book so I could enlarge the font, there's some sort of magic in the css that won't let me. I'm working on trying to find a way to fix that, though. (calibre is my friend, but I don't really know what I'm doing.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #1746
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Those days of impossibly small print seem to be over for me. I haven't been able to read or re-read treasured print books in years, even with my reading glasses. I'm so thankful for ereaders.

But...after having cataract surgery early this month in one eye I can now see the tiniest print with cheap Dollar Store reading glasses. Next Wednesday I'm having the second surgery and will re-read Time and Again and The-Seven-Per-Cent Solution, neither available in ebook format. Plus I can read all those lovely Henry Wade Harrap's Shilling Library editions I found last year.

I expected cataract surgery to give me back the ability to take road trips while losing what is left of my near vision. Instead I can read anything again with the cheapest glasses. So I'll likely purchase fewer ebooks with all those shelves of old print treasures available again.
This was my DW's experience with her surgery as well. She went from struggling to be able to read at all, and very iffy driving vision to vastly improved at both. Like you, she's now moving to get the second eye done, since it's starting to be an issue.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #1747
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I bought about 130 ebooks over the past years, I've only read maybe half of them, still working on going through the rest before I get more.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #1748
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
still working on going through the rest before I get more.
Good for you! But don't pass up any great deals (75% off or more) on favourite authors, although that might seem an odd thing to say in this thread.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #1749
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Good for you! But don't pass up any great deals (75% off or more) on favourite authors, although that might seem an odd thing to say in this thread.
Umm... I couldn't resist four books in am Amazon daily deal. i don't think I'm going to make my target of only 120 ebooks bought this year.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #1750
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Look! There's a word for our problem:

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #1751
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Look! There's a word for our problem:

I don't have a problem (yeahright), I just like to read this thread (uh huh). And I just had to repost this image!

copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #1752
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I am currently organising my ebook collection in calibre (at long last). I'm including freebies from on-line books stores, but not public domain freebies. 4202 books at present, although there may still be some duplicates in that lot.

I've added extra columns for "Parts" (for omnibus editions and short story collections), "Read" (whether I've read the book or not), "Price" (the amount I paid for the book) and "Shop" (where I got the book).

For "Date" I'm using the date I paid for or acquired the book. For "Published" I'm using the date of the first edition (or latest first edition date of any part).

Only 2900 books to go....

It does mean I'll be able to approach my unread pile systematically. Still ignoring the freebies, I can work my way through unread bought from earliest to last!

Currently I'm reading a book I bought in January 2002...
Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #1753
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
What a project, Paul. I didn't realize you hadn't been using Calibre all this time.

FWIW, I tried using a "Read" column for a while, but then gave it up. It was a nuisance to maintain, and not terribly relevant when there are often times I choose to re-read a book. Also, since I don't keep my audio books in Calibre, the "Read" v. "Unread" status is a bit ambiguous.

All that aside, getting all your books into Calibre, with all that additional metadata, will really give you a handle on your reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #1754
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
ok, I fell for the kindle edition of the 4-volume Game of Thrones collection. a nice deal for just about $16... incredibly hefty, should take a long while. Nice edition, can't believe some people don't know how to use the back button to go back to table of contents if they so wish.

I've resisted it this far all the hype, but what the hell... luckily, I haven't watched the TV series...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #1755
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
What a project, Paul. I didn't realize you hadn't been using Calibre all this time.

FWIW, I tried using a "Read" column for a while, but then gave it up. It was a nuisance to maintain, and not terribly relevant when there are often times I choose to re-read a book. Also, since I don't keep my audio books in Calibre, the "Read" v. "Unread" status is a bit ambiguous.

All that aside, getting all your books into Calibre, with all that additional metadata, will really give you a handle on your reading.
I now have all my Baen books with date or purchase and price. I'm up to 2008 for my Fictionwise books. But it's in 2008 that I became aware of drm-removal software. And my rate of purchase from Fictionwise went way up!

2500/4000 books to go...