Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
spinningdoc
spinningdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Non
Fonts - can't 'add existing file'

I've had a search on the forum and couldn't find any similar problems, so please do point me in the right direction if this has already been dealt with.

Having painstakingly set up a vanilla epub in Sigil with a few bits of CSS and got it working, I wanted to embed a font, pretty much to see how it's done, and then see if my Sony would deal with it. So just playing around really.

I get that embedding a font means:

1. 'Importing' it into Sigil
2. Declaring it in the CSS
3. Invoking it in the html file.

(Not sure if those are the right words but you get what I mean I hope.)

However I'm falling over at the first of those. I right click on the 'font' folder in Sigil, and choose 'Add Existing File'. I navigate to the Fonts folder (I'm on XP), but when I select a font, either by double clicking, or clicking on open, nothing happens. The dialogue box remains, nothing's added in Sigil. It's a dead end. Dragging and dropping doesn't work either.

All thoughts/suggestions welcome!
spinningdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningdoc View Post
I've had a search on the forum and couldn't find any similar problems, so please do point me in the right direction if this has already been dealt with.

Having painstakingly set up a vanilla epub in Sigil with a few bits of CSS and got it working, I wanted to embed a font, pretty much to see how it's done, and then see if my Sony would deal with it. So just playing around really.

I get that embedding a font means:

1. 'Importing' it into Sigil
2. Declaring it in the CSS
3. Invoking it in the html file.

(Not sure if those are the right words but you get what I mean I hope.)

However I'm falling over at the first of those. I right click on the 'font' folder in Sigil, and choose 'Add Existing File'. I navigate to the Fonts folder (I'm on XP), but when I select a font, either by double clicking, or clicking on open, nothing happens. The dialogue box remains, nothing's added in Sigil. It's a dead end. Dragging and dropping doesn't work either.

All thoughts/suggestions welcome!
Use the Main Menu (IIRC there are parts broken with the Book Browser right click: Add)
File| New| Add Existing

BTW You can't add fonts (directly) from those INSIDE the Windows/Fonts folder. Move (drag) the font from the Windows font folder to the desktop folder, Now COPY them and PASTE them BACK into Fonts so you still have them available in Windows.
You can now use the normal Sigil Add on the saved fonts.
Note: Some of the fonts in the Windows folder are only licensed for use with that install of Windows. Check the properties before you embed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
spinningdoc
spinningdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Non
Thanks for the speedy response. Adding fonts from a copy rather than the Windows/Fonts folder did the trick.
spinningdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Move (drag) the font from the Windows font folder to the desktop folder,
Wouldn't it be FAR safer to COPY the font elsewhere and not MOVE it initially?

A COPY in Explorer is done by holding the SHIFT key down while selecting and dragging the files to a new location.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Wouldn't it be FAR safer to COPY the font elsewhere and not MOVE it initially?

A COPY in Explorer is done by holding the SHIFT key down while selecting and dragging the files to a new location.
Copy seems to be disabled (functionally locked out) for the fonts folder
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I tried it on Windows 7 and it worked fine.... I opened Explorer, browsed to C:\Windows\Fonts . I was then presented with the same view I would see in Control Panel | Fonts. Here I was able to select multiple fonts and then with the Shift key held down moved the mouse to the desktop. The tool tip changed to Copy..

Actually I lie... It made NO difference whether or not I had the shift key held down; the tool tip shows COPY not MOVE.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Copy seems to be disabled (functionally locked out) for the fonts folder

All of which "copied" fonts, of course, will be subsequently licensed by the user, as they're Intellectual property also protected by copyright. Right? Windows fonts, and the dreaded "Font Suitcase" on Apple are provided for personal use, not for subsequent "distribution or dissemination" as in, epub-publishing. Just a heads' up for the OP, so he doesn't run into trouble. (This doesn't pertain to books created for your own personal enjoyment--only books intended for sale and/or even free distribution.)

We run into this daily here at the shop; we get books with hundreds of dollars' worth of copyrighted fonts in them and when we tell the publisher to go license the fonts, zoiks!, what a cataclysm THAT turns into!

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote