Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
nalbagli
nalbagli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Please Help with scan PDF on my Sony reader

Hi I am a college student and just bought the Sony Reader 700, mainly for reading University texts which are on pdf format, but the problem is most of my texts arescan pdf so when I try to read it on the device it is to small. Is there any type of solution for this, to at least make it readable?

Please help I am really worried about the fact that I may have spent $350 that took me time to earn on a device that will be almost useless for my purposes

Thank you all
nalbagli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you can zoom in and you can switch to landscape mode,

but zooming every page might get annoying.

you should be able to return it depending on where you bought it.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
PaperCrop is the best tool for your problem.

This tool was designed for two column research papers, cuts the columns and reformats it to one column.

It also has reflow for single column PDF which makes large PDF vewable on any smaller sized screen.

Here is the download page (link)
And here is the MobiRead thread(link)

This tool can pretty much make any PDF readable on the SONY. However the more complicated the PDF the more likely there will have to be some manual tailoring.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-01-2009 at 10:15 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
alrumich
Enthusiast
alrumich doesn't litteralrumich doesn't litter

Device: PRS-700, iPod Touch, Samsung Q1U, HP Pavilion tx2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbagli View Post
Hi I am a college student and just bought the Sony Reader 700, mainly for reading University texts which are on pdf format, but the problem is most of my texts arescan pdf so when I try to read it on the device it is to small. Is there any type of solution for this, to at least make it readable?

Please help I am really worried about the fact that I may have spent $350 that took me time to earn on a device that will be almost useless for my purposes

Thank you all
I got Sony for the very same purpose and am reading a lot of articles and book chapters on it. In most cases you have to read in landscape mode, but it usually quite good; it you OCR the scanned PDF in Acrobat prior to uploading it to Sony, you will be able to highlight the text and add comments.

Sony is a pretty good option for this purpose, although an extra inch would have been great.
alrumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
nalbagli

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrumich View Post
I got Sony for the very same purpose and am reading a lot of articles and book chapters on it. In most cases you have to read in landscape mode, but it usually quite good; it you OCR the scanned PDF in Acrobat prior to uploading it to Sony, you will be able to highlight the text and add comments.

Sony is a pretty good option for this purpose, although an extra inch would have been great.
sorry for my ignorance, but what is OCR???

Thanks =X= I will try the program now
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Optical character recognition. its not perfect (far from it) but for the above purpose, highlighting, it works fine.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
nalbagli

Hi I was trying PaperCrop and I dont know how to use it well because my pdf it has horizontal pages with two book pages on it and I dont know what configuration can I use for it to work.
Does any body know what do I have to do??

Thanks

Another question is it possible on papercrop to go page by page making manually the rectangular crop box?

Last edited by nalbagli; 06-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi I was trying PaperCrop and I dont know how to use it well because my pdf it has horizontal pages with two book pages on it and I dont know what configuration can I use for it to work.
Does any body know what do I have to do??

Thanks

Another question is it possible on papercrop to go page by page making manually the rectangular crop box?
Can you post a screen shot of the page? It' would be easier to trouble shoot if I could see the problem.

Yes you can I do this all the time. You can resize any rectangle displayed on the screen. To create additional rectangles Click on the background and drag the box to the desired size.

Then click the <Process Current Page> button. By default this creates a JPG image stored in a sub directory where the PDF file was created. The name of the sub directory is usually the PDF name.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
nalbagli

here is a pic of the file i am trying to convert:
Old 06-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
nalbagli

I could do my own cropping on the first page but my problem is that I dont know how to advance pages to do it in each one
Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Oh. Hit the page down to go to the next page and page up or the previous page.

Also if the lay is to remain the same throughout the book, deselect the "Use automatic segmentation" checkbox
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
nalbagli

sorry if the question is too stupid but I really can turn the page of the doc in the program,
what do you mean by hit the page down?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Not a dumb question. Most US PC101 keyboards have a "page up" and a "page down" key, usually located next to the "Home" and "end" key. I assume you have one if not try using the up/down keys. These have arrows instead of characters
Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
nalbagli

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Not a dumb question. Most US PC101 keyboards have a "page up" and a "page down" key, usually located next to the "Home" and "end" key. I assume you have one if not try using the up/down keys. These have arrows instead of characters
ok I finally understood haha, well I think my only option will be doing it page by page because they are not all centered

Thank you very much for your help...but my last question, when I do it page by page at the end I have only .gif images on a folder but how do I get the pdf file?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
alrumich
Enthusiast
alrumich doesn't litteralrumich doesn't litter

Device: PRS-700, iPod Touch, Samsung Q1U, HP Pavilion tx2500
Quote:
sorry for my ignorance, but what is OCR???

Thanks =X= I will try the program now
Sorry, I assumed it is clear. My bad.
OCR - optical character recognition; in Acrobat this option can be accessed via the main menu:

Document -> OCR Text Recognition -> Recognize Text Using OCR.

This operation will convert scanned pictures of text into the actual text; it will place it beneath the picture, so the original layout will remain intact. This will texs you will be able to search and highlight and annotate.

If you also go to the Preferences (Main menu: Edit -> Preferences) and check "Copy selected text into Highlight, Cross-out, and Underline comment pop-ups" (on the tab "Commenting," section "Making comments"); the text you highlight will be automatically copied into your comments, which can be exported into a separate file.
alrumich is offline   Reply With Quote