Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
Lily
Lily began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-505
Library doesn't recognize the reader, reader froze

Hi,

I am new in this forum - so "Hello to you all".
I came by it as I was searching for help getting my Sony reader working again.
Unfortunately I am not a great crack in all things technical, so please excuse me if I may appear a little bit dumb. ;-)

My PRS-505 froze in the middle of reading an ebook.
I am unable to turn the power off, the device doesn't react of either trying to turn it completely off or to turn a page or to return to the menu.
If I connect the reader to the computer, the ebook library doesn't recognize it.

What can I do?
I am totally lost.

Thank you very much.

Lily
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How long has it been since the last charge? It could be that the battery is completely discharged but I'm not sure why your computer is not recognizing it. Try charging it for awhile and see if that breaths some life into it.

Others might be able to offer more solutions.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Lily

Hi MerLock,

Thanks for answering so quickly!

The battery sign shows it is still half full.
The last charge was a few days ago.

Anyway - if I connect the reader to the computer via USB there is no red light indicating the battery is loading.

Lily
Old 09-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Hi Lily, I have had this happen before, and inserting a pointy object (paper clip works) into the reset hole in the back brought it back to life, good as new.

Good luck!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Lily, with a new Reader the battery calibration takes a few charges to settle and show an accurate reading.

See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

I would do a long mains recharge first. Then try a reset if that hasn't worked.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Lily

Hi Patricia, hi Donnageddon,

many thanks for your help!!

As I don't have an independent charger for my reader I tried to recharge via my notebook.
The good news is, that the red LED showed. :-)
Hopefully this will solve my problem.

To avoid future problems I will buy a charger as soon as possible.
I hope I can find a seller who delivers to Germany.
Do you know if I have to use solely Sony chargers or are there others who do the job too?

Greetings
Lily
Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Lily, You can use a Sony psp charger. You should be able to get one from shops that sell computer equipment, or computer games.

Leave your Reader connected until the little red light goes off.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
Lily

Patricia, thanks again.

I hope, this will do the trick and the problem will not return.
I was totally confused since I bought the reader just 2 months ago.
But now - thanks to you and the others - I am very optimistic.

Have a nice day!

Lily
Old 09-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Good luck and let us know if any of the solutions worked for you.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
As I don't have an independent charger for my reader I tried to recharge via my notebook.
The good news is, that the red LED showed. :-)
Hopefully this will solve my problem.

To avoid future problems I will buy a charger as soon as possible.

Greetings
Lily
I have never used an independent charger for my Sony 505, I only charge via the USB.

But if you find yourself away form a USB port for long periods of time, a charger might be a good option.

I don't think this was the source of your original problem. I think your 505 just froze. For this situation, I have always just used the reset to good results.

Take care, and welcome to MobileRead!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:35 AM   #11
Lily

Good Morning!

After letting the reader connected to my notebook the problem is solved!
It now works as if nothing happened.
Paradoxically my computer now recognize the reader as usual.
Though I don't understand the cause of the freezing I am very glad to have my reader "back".

Donnageddon, I tried to reset while the reader was frozen, but the reader didn't respond in any way to sticking the paper clip in the little hole.

Thank you all again for being so friendly and helpful!
I appreciate it a lot!

Lily
Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
When you press reset, you won't see any indication that anything happened (except that buttons stop working). You need to toggle the power switch to start the reader again.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #13
Lily

Hi Igorsk,

as it happened, the reader froze again yesterday, damn it!
This time neither computer nor notebook recognized the reader.
So I tried sticking the paper clip in the reset hole plus switching the power - it worked! Your advice was very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Lily