Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
newbie5
newbie5 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Chinese PDF Problem

I have converted Chinese txt files into pdf format (using Calibre). The pdf opened correctly showing the Chinese content, however, after about 10 pages the pages become blank all the way to the end of the book.

The same thing happened on the Sony PRS 350, Kobo and Aluratek, can anyone help me? Many thanks.
newbie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Sony PRS-650
Have you tried to use a different method to convert the txt file to PDF? Like opening it with Word and saving the document as PDF? Or printing the text file to a PDF printer?
UpSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
newbie5

Thank your for your response.

I have tried converting the txt file using various software and online sites, none of them seem to work.

(I have a very old version of Word that do not support saving the document as PDF.)
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

you could send it me (via PM or public link) and I'll give it a try (I have a few more PDF tools, maybe a working one )
Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
newbie5

Thank you very much, here is the file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 119+洁如新.txt (162.9 KB, 272 views)
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
UpSpin
Enthusiast

I opened the document with Word 2010, changed the page size to the optimal size, removed the double line break and saved it as PDF file. The results worked, but the loading time was rather slow.
So I printed it from Word to the Adobe PDF printer. The results looked identical, but loading time was reduced.

Because I have no idea about chinese font I created it with the default selected one (SimSun) and one called Adobe Kaiti (looked somehow nicer )

I don't know if the font size is ok to read it. It looks a bit dim on the eReader screen, so make sure you change the view settings to +40 contrast and -40 brightness to make the font bolder and darker and better readable.

So if you prefer different settings, tell them me.

You can also try to install OpenOffice or the now called LibreOffice which supports exporting to PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 119+洁如新 SimSun.pdf (695.3 KB, 518 views)
File Type: pdf 119+洁如新 Adobe Kaiti.pdf (1.26 MB, 315 views)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
newbie5

Thank you so very much, I am going to test them out today and let you know the results.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
newbie5

to UpSpin, thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Both PDF files are WORKING !!!!!

For some strange reasons the Kaiti file pops up with larger font size in odd places within the document.

I have also taken your advice and installed OpenOffice, I used the "export to PDF" and it is also working well. I used the 12 pt font size with 仿宋 (fongsong), it turned out just great. Before your post it never occurred to me that using different conversion tools can have such a significant impact.

非常感谢您!

Tags
chinese sony pdf