Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
andyberry
andyberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
New Firmware 1.8 for Original Kobo is here!

Downloading it now
Fire up your Kobo Desktop app and accept the update, then plug in your KObo.
Fingers crossed
-A

Last edited by andyberry; 12-13-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: (correcting typo)
andyberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Just started the upgrade. Though the last word was it would be rolled out to customers at a gradual pace so it might take a while for it to kick off for everyone.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
ackc
ackc began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Wonderful! Does any one have access to the release notes by chance?
ackc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
AAAAHG the pain i didn't get it yet boohoo
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
We found a problem with one of the new features in 1.8, so we've stopped the upgrade for now. Sorry for the early excitement - we will turn it back on once we've resolved it.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
what gives I dont get an option to update? I have the newest desktop but no option to upgrade to 1.8??
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

I'll post the release notes when we re-start it as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
dashto
dashto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Oh come on!

Bad tease...

So about how long is it going to be for the re-post?

And for those of you that did get it, initial impressions?
dashto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Sorry about that.

We've been beta testing for the last few weeks - maybe some of the beta testers can share their experience?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Can we get this on SD card please? After 1.4 I am not keen to do the update via USB.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

We will release the SD card image, but as in the past, you will need to be able to format an SD card as ext3 and copy the files onto the SD card to make your own.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We will release the SD card image, but as in the past, you will need to be able to format an SD card as ext3 and copy the files onto the SD card to make your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Can we get this on SD card please? After 1.4 I am not keen to do the update via USB.
You can grab a card reader from Dick Smith for next to nothing at the moment and it reads like, a million different cards.
Just a lightweight USB device... easy as.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashto View Post
Bad tease...

So about how long is it going to be for the re-post?

And for those of you that did get it, initial impressions?
Looks like I was pretty quick on the draw. I managed to get the release...however, time will tell if it's so buggy that it becomes unusable. However, so far, so good! It looks like it's what they promised.

- can read while plugged into the computer
- can delete books directly on the device
- options to show cover on sleep mode and/or power off
- newspapers and magazines
- probably more...just haven't noticed it all yet

Only problem I can see is that the desktop application still syncs ALL books even when I purchased just one...takes forever to sync with the number of books I have.

I like what I see so far though! Great work
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I feel bad that we did not catch this error in the Release candidate we tested over the weekend. It was a feature that worked flawlessly in the beta before that, so i guess i didn't think to check.

For me, the best part of this update isn't the new features, but actually the very, very improved sync, both with the desktop and with mobile devices. It makes it very easy to plug in my reader, go to the desktop application, open a book there and quickly page through and set a bookmark one page from the end. Then I can sync and easily move the book out of I'm Reading. While it isn't elegant, it sure is easier than doing the multiple click thing.

Page turns are very fast now--again, not a new feature, but a big improvement. You still have to wait a bit for chapter changes, but the page turns are great.

I'm also a big fan of the dictionary and the of the new feature that makes it possible for us to choose to have our readers automatically shut down after 15 minutes in sleep or not.

Oh, and did I mention that we can now load RTF, txt, and html formats along with a whole bunch of image files? Just create a documents folder and drag them in there.

There's more...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Is there landscape mode? Custom button assignment?
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote