Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #24076
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "Master of Many Treasures", by Mary Brown. This is the third book in the "Unicorn Ring" series, and the final third of the Baen omnibus edition called "Here There Be Dragonnes", which I bought in 2003. It follows on directly from the events of the previous book in the series. Very enjoyable "quest" type fantasy, and the omnibus of three long books represents excellent value for money. Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #24077
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Sharpe's Escape by Bernard Cornwall. Whichever is next in my Sharpe read-through.

More campaigning in Portugal.
Another enjoyable adventure with Sharpe.

Next up: A re-read: The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #24078
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Grrrr. Just got notice that the next book in the Rivers of London series from Ben Aaronovitch is delayed, AGAIN. Now projected January of 2017.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #24079
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Do you know that some of the Wodehouse stories/books are available in audio format through Librivox? Free is good.
Free is indeed good and there are Librivox audiobooks which are the equal of professional efforts. I've listened to some of the Librivox Wodehouse; it's just that when I can pick up an audiobook for a trivial sum that is read by Simon Vance or Frederick Davidson, say, the gold standard among readers, I can't resist.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #24080
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up: Witches Abroad after that since it came in a couple days ago.
Excellent as always. I am wondering how many references I missed in this one though. I certainly missed a few.

Next: Some non-fiction with Felicia Day's You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #24081
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished "Fatal Voyage", by Kathy Reichs. This is the 4th book in the "Temperance Brennan" series of novels about a forensic anthropologist, and the best so far in what's already been an excellent series. In this book, Dr Brennan is called in to assist in helping identify bodies in the aftermath of an air crash in North Carolina, and is soon embroiled in a deeper mystery. Very highly recommended!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #24082
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Grrrr. Just got notice that the next book in the Rivers of London series from Ben Aaronovitch is delayed, AGAIN. Now projected January of 2017.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #24083
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next up: I honestly have not decided yet! need either a break or a new buying perhaps.
After having a day's break, I started reading this non fiction, and could not stop till it ended : Labrador - The Story of the World's Favourite Dog by Ben Fogle.

A social history of Labradors, and how they have become the world’s most beloved dogs, by writer, presenter and long-time dog lover Ben Fogle, whose beloved black Labrador, Inca, famously accompanied him on numerous journeys and adventures.

Labradors are the most popular breed of dog in the world. Not only a great family companion, they also excel at hunting, tracking, retrieving, guiding and rescuing. But where did the breed originally come from? How did it develop? When did black, yellow and chocolate Labradors first appear? Did they really all come from Labrador in Canada and are they really all related to just one dog?

In this first history of the Labrador, Ben Fogle goes in search of what makes Labradors so special. Their extraordinary companionship, intelligence, work ethic and loyalty is captured by Ben as he weaves the story of the breed into his own story of his beloved Inca.

Next up : I bought today 9 books' series by Erle Stanley Gardner today from various sources. I'll start with 'The D.A. Calls it a Murder'. Cozy detective mysteries, with a new lawyer hero Doug Selby, written between 1937 and 1949.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #24084
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: A re-read: The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein.
Which shows itself to be up to a re-read. A very good start to the series, and I'm looking forward to books 5 & 6 once they get written.

Next up: Anno Dracula by Kim Newman

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-24-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #24085
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Which shows itself to be up to a re-read. A very good start to the series, and I'm looking forward to books 5 & 6 once they get written.
Yup, so am I. Come on over and join the discussion in the Book Club. Rosemary is there as well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:23 AM   #24086
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next up : I bought today 9 books' series by Erle Stanley Gardner today from various sources. I'll start with 'The D.A. Calls it a Murder'. Cozy detective mysteries, with a new lawyer hero Doug Selby, written between 1937 and 1949.
Finished the first book of The D.A. Series, The D.A. Calls it a Murder. This first book was published in 1937, whereas the first book of Perry Mason series was published in 1933. The young lawyer Douglas Selby gets elected as District Attorney and finds a murder to be solved immediately after his election. He is obviously under pressure of press and public, and makes a lot of mistakes being unexperienced.

I found the character of Doug Selby somewhat less confident and witty in comparison to Perry Mason, despite all the government machinery at his disposal. However, these are my initial views, and a little bit different opinion could develop when I read the other books in the series. But, however, It will be a nice recommendation for the ardent lovers of writing of Gardner, I believe.

Next up, The D.A. Holds a Candle, second book of the series.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:30 AM   #24087
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

Next up: Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
Which was fun. Especially trying to spot every other fictional character he's crammed into Victorian London.

Fun enough that I'll be reading the second one soon. Although I did find his basic premise silly.

Spoiler:
The basic premise being that Dracula could become effective ruler of Britain by enthralling and marrying Queen Victoria

but first, Skylock by Paul Kozerski. An old Baen purchase. Not too impressed so far...

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-24-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:06 AM   #24088
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A couple of books recently finished:

"Star Man's Son", by Andre Norton. This is the first half of the "Darkness and Dawn" Baen omnibus which I bought in 2003, and is a post-apocalypic novel set 300 years after a devastating nuclear war, telling the story of a young man's travels from his mountain tribe into the outside world, and the adventures that befall him. I'm not particularly a fan of Norton - her books are rather formulaic - but I quite enjoyed this one.

"Silhouette in Scarlet", by Elizabeth Peters. The third book in the "Vicky Bliss" series. In this one, Vicky travels to Sweden and gets embroiled in a search for buried treasure. Hugely enjoyable nonsense, and highly recommended.

That's 50 books for the year now, so well on track for my usual 100 books a year goal.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-24-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #24089
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "No Night Without Stars", by Andre Norton, which is the second half of the "Darkness and Dawn" Baen omnibus (I've no idea why Baen give their omnibuses names that bear no relation to the books that are in them!). Another post-apocalyptic novel in which a young man seeks adventure in a world full of danger. Really, I find Norton's books very tedious; I honestly don't know why I bother to read them.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #24090
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really, I find Norton's books very tedious; I honestly don't know why I bother to read them.
I enjoyed the first few I read. But there is a bit of sameness to them all. OTOH, I haven't read any of her Witch World series - perhaps they are more varied?