Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
AnthonyNoel
AnthonyNoel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Touch: Setup stuck on stage 3

I bought a Kobo Touch from WHSmith's Bristol airport outlet yesterday, and with some time to kill before my flight, started to go through the setup using my MacBook and the airport's free wifi. It didn't work, but I didn't worry too much since I had to cancel the process after 30 minutes when my flight was announced.

Later that evening, now at home in Germany, I tried again but with various intersecting problems that are making it difficult to narrow down what might be wrong.

First of all, I tried to connect to my existing Kobo account but it returned an error message, something like:
Quote:
"This email address is already linked to a Facebook account. Would you like to use Facebook to log in?"
But there was no link to click to open the Facebook log in screen.

I started again, several times. Sometimes the Facebook log in button would appear, sometimes it wouldn't.

Next, I went to the Kobo store and created another Kobo account and linked that to my existing account opened using Facebook.

Returning to the eReader setup, I now logged in without using Facebook, and this worked as far as the next stage, configuring and syncing. There's a progress bar on screen, and the message "Checking for books...". And this is where it's stuck.

If I exit the setup process, I get a Success and Congratulations message, but as soon as I click the eReader tab again, it's back to the start.

I've tried:
  • Power off and on
  • Soft reset via the hole on the rear
  • Factory reset
  • Redownloading the Mac OS desktop software
  • Bypassing the Kobo software altogether and using Adobe Digital Editions
  • Sleeping on it overnight

Nothing has worked.

I've tried calling Kobo support on 0800 33 22 33 44, but (get this for a frustrating outcome) but this goes to the SCOTTISH POWER ENERGY EFFICIENCY ADVICE LINE.. ARGH!

A few other relevant facts:
  • I have one book in my Kobo account, purchased when I first registered using only Facebook and before I bought my eReader
  • I have both German and English addresses and banks; I've tried switching these around in my account to see if that helps.

I'm stumped. I want to send it back and buy an iPad, because at least I won't be locked into a single retailer (the main reason for not going Kindle) and Apple understands how to make a consumer's experience with a new device painless. Well, most of the time anyway.

Can anyone help? I'm not quite ready to give up...
AnthonyNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You do know that Kobo does not lock you into the Kobo store, right? If you want a 6 inch eINK device then I am not sure why your alternative is an iPAD, but different strokes. You can open a ticket with Kobo over email: help@kobobooks.com.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
AnthonyNoel

Quote:
You do know that Kobo does not lock you into the Kobo store, right?
Oh, yes. I do realise that. That's its main selling point as far as I'm concerned. At this moment in time, that's all it has going for it. The iPad comment wasn't really made in earnest, just frustration.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Try checking your anti-virus software and your firewall permissions. I know that people have had difficulties with setup with some specific proggies running. Help may know which ones.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
AnthonyNoel

Quote:
Help may know which ones.
Sure, I'm waiting on their response.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.7 at home, so no anti-virus or firewall is in use.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you used the # for WHITCOULLS in Australia.

WH SMith support is
Quote:
Prefer to call us?
Call 0845 604 6543. We're here Monday to Friday, 9am - 5.30pm, except for public holidays
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNoel View Post
I'm using Mac OSX 10.7 at home, so no anti-virus or firewall is in use.
It does have a firewall. Look in your System settings under Security & Privacy > Firewall. If you do want to make changes (I'm not sure exactly what's required, as I haven't read the other threads) you'll need to click the lock and enter an admin password then go into Firewall Options; and also to be sure that you're not leaving yourself open to security breaches with the changes you make.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
AnthonyNoel

Hi Peter,

Quote:
I think you used the # for WHITCOULLS in Australia.
Unfortunately not, here's a screen shot

The WHSmiths help link has quite a few options, but the only thing for Kobo enquiries is the same as the "Need Help? Ask Kobo" query box.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
AnthonyNoel

Quote:
It does have a firewall. Look in your System settings under Security & Privacy > Firewall. If you do want to make changes (I'm not sure exactly what's required, as I haven't read the other threads) you'll need to click the lock and enter an admin password then go into Firewall Options; and also to be sure that you're not leaving yourself open to security breaches with the changes you make.
Apologies to Taming and thanks to Meera – I stand corrected.

However, I discovered that my firewall is already deactivated.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See my image please...

and http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Support/Hel...ctWHSmith.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 006.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	87995  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
AnthonyNoel

Thanks Peter,

but the only Kobo relevant help point on that page is the Ask Us query box, which takes us to the Kobo FAQ resource. There isn't a telephone number, other than the one I found which seems to be rerouting to Scottish Power.

I've contacted the email help desk and I'll wait for their reply.

A.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Anthony as I said you are calling the wrong mumber. PLEASE look at the screen shot I supplied.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
AnthonyNoel

Hi Peter,

I see it now, thank you. However, it doesn't reflect well that they listed the number for their NZ partner on their UK site – with no other possible telephone contact available, can I be the first person to have come across this? Seems unlikely, but nevermind.

The email help team have been in touch with the suggestion of a replacement unit.

So, ho hum. Back to square one.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNoel View Post
Hi Peter,

I see it now, thank you. However, it doesn't reflect well that they listed the number for their NZ partner on their UK site – with no other possible telephone contact available, can I be the first person to have come across this? Seems unlikely, but nevermind.
I have heard that Kobo reuses the same numbers for contact in different countries. Is it possible that you're having a telephone/dialling malfunction of some kind? The Scottish energy efficiency advice line number is 0800 512 012.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
I am sorry to hear of your problems, but it may help to know that I too am having problems with a Kobo Touch purchased at WHSmiths.

I also reached the Scottish energy line first - but then I noticed that from the UK, it is necessary to dial exactly the number displayed on the Kobo Help page - including the two 00's at the start:

00800 33 22 33 44

Doing that, however, has actually not resolved my problem - and I am still waiting for Kobo to respond to the information they asked me to supply by email on Sunday, and which I sent back to them immediately. I phoned, and my problem was escalated to the Second Tier team on Tuesday, but I have heard nothing further.

Today, since my husband's faulty Kobo is only 33 days old, I tried to return it to the WHSmith's that it came from. They refused to do anything, as it is over the 30 days limit (despite the fact that it only worked for 3 weeks, and then failed while we were on holiday in scandinavia and unable to return it immediately). However, they did give me a form with a FREEPOST address to send it to - titled "Kobo dReader - Faulty Returns".

When I purchased the Kobo Touch, I had no way of knowing that it was an American / Canadian product, with American / Canadian support. WHSmiths is a UK company. Kobo books appears to be a UK website, selling in £. I really like the Kobo Touch - mine is working well, and provides me with great ebook reading. But the whole area of reliability and support is very upsetting.

Good luck!
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote