Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
electrocutus
electrocutus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Cool veteran reader...

Hi everyone,
I just recently discovered mobileread.com, and it's a great resource.
I recently joined the "e-ink" reader revolution and bought a Sony PRS-300 Reader. Before that, I had been reading ebooks for many years. I first started on a Palm Pilot over 10 years ago (remember CSpotRun?), moving through a succession of various Palm-powered devices over the years, eventually ending up on a Windows Mobile smartphone.
I really love the Sony Reader, although I miss the ability to read in the dark, but I'll take the extended bettery life over that.
My only issue so far with my Reader is that I have a fair amount of DRMed books I bought over the years, and I can't transfer them and read them on it.

Thanks!!!
electrocutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello electrocutus
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, electrocutus!

Have fun with your new 300 and exploring the forums.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome! What format are your drm'd books in? There are ways to strip drm from some if you are willing to do that. And as far as I'm concerned if you bought them and only intend to use them yourself, that is perfectly acceptable.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hi electrocutus, welcome to MobileRead forums!

What sort of books do you like to read? Will you share you favorite author?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
King Windom
King Windom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Welcome. I also graduated from a Palm to the PRS-300. It's nice not to have to turn the page so often. DRM can, as mentioned above, be removed. The PDB format used on the Palm can also be converted to a Sony friendly format using Calibre. There is lots of great information from lots of great people to be found on this forum. Happy reading. Dan
King Windom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi electrocutus and welcome to MobileRead. I used to read on an iPaq but, once I got my hands on a eInk device, I never looked back. And, as for light, there are plenty of clip-on lights available at reasonable prices
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
electrocutus
electrocutus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
thanks for the welcoming notes :-)

The DRM'd books I have are in a couple of different formats: secure eReader and secure MOBI mostly... I've read most books I bought and probably don't care too much about converting them all, but there are a few I bought more recently that I hadn't had a chance to read before I saw the eInk light!!

As for my favourite authors, it's hard to tell. I love sci-fi and related genres, and Orson Scott Card and Neal Stephenson are among my favourites. However, since I got my Reader, I started checking out a few classics from my public library, and I've now read my first 2 Steinbeck novels... East of Eden was just amazing.
electrocutus is offline   Reply With Quote