Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
texmex
texmex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR 600
Can PDF books be renamed?

Some PDF books saved to the elibrary read "word.doc1" or something similar (no title).Can those files be renamed? I read a post that said to right-click the file and select Rename but, I tried that and did not get an option to rename. The options were preview, copy, paste or delete. Any help appreciated.
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
yes, I have done this with many of my pdf ebooks. You need a handy-dandy freeware program called A-PDF INFO Changer which you can get at http://www.a-pdf.com/infochanger/index.htm.

If the pdf file is passworded you need to remove the password using PDF password remover v3.0, which you can get at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...-Remover.shtml before the info changer will work.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
texmex
texmex began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR 600
Thanks alot. I'll try those programs.
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
eBook Library won't do it - but Calibre will.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
eBook Library won't do it - but Calibre will.
yeah, but I don't think it will show the change on the reader itself, just on the Calibre software. I may be wrong, but the only way that I know to permanently change the information so that it shows up both on the PC software AND the reader is to change the PDF file's metadata attributes by using PDF tool programs like the ones I mentioned above.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
xiutian
xiutian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Nexus One, Alex
I just renamed a few Chinese PDFs to English using Calibre and I can confirm that the changes show on the Reader as well.
xiutian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Calibre will change the metadata of pdf files. However, you then have to deal with all the crap that Calibre tries to force onto you--the "ultimate" organizational system with extra folders/multiple file copies, etc. The program above will simply let you change the metadata for the selected file--no additional copies or folders to deal with.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
BeCyPDFMetaEdit is another freeware to change metadata titles of pdfs.

http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm
Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
However, you then have to deal with all the crap that Calibre tries to force onto you--the "ultimate" organizational system with extra folders/multiple file copies, etc.
Or you don't. You can just use the command line tools calibre provides to do the work. Or, you can import the book to calibre, make your changes, save to disk and delete the ebook from calibre. No muss, no fuss.

I'm not sure why there is an insistence to spread this FUD.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
yeah, but I don't think it will show the change on the reader itself, just on the Calibre software. I may be wrong, but the only way that I know to permanently change the information so that it shows up both on the PC software AND the reader is to change the PDF file's metadata attributes by using PDF tool programs like the ones I mentioned above.
Initially the change is made only within Calibre's database, but if you do a "Save to disk", it will re-write the PDF with the changed metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Initially the change is made only within Calibre's database, but if you do a "Save to disk", it will re-write the PDF with the changed metadata.
This is really counter-intuitive...If I change the metadata, well, it's just to change them...Why ask for something more?

So, if I use calibre because I wish only to change the metadata, instead of changing them, plain and clean, I must after it tell calibre to save to disk?

If I understood this properly, this is very confusing...

As far as I am concerned, I use freeware programs to change metadata at least for pdf files because I had trouble with calibre output , probably because of this , for me at least, "strange" behaviour.

And for tags? They are I suppose part of the metadata? We need to create them with calibre and save to disk also? What triggers the creation of a collection in the Reader?

Last edited by roger64; 10-18-2009 at 04:26 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
This is really counter-intuitive...If I change the metadata, well, it's just to change them...Why ask for something more?

So, if I use calibre because I wish only to change the metadata, instead of changing them, plain and clean, I must after it tell calibre to save to disk?
You have to do "something" to get your file out of Calibre's library - you either save the file to disk, or you tell Calibre to send it directly to the device. Either way, that is the point at which it re-writes the file with the current metadata. I'm afraid I really don't see anything in the least counter-intuitive about this; when your book "emerges" from Calibre it has the metadata you've requested. Why do you care at what point the metadata gets written to the file?

Consider the case of files which don't have metadata - text files, for example, or (to a lesser extent) HTML. The only place that Calibre can store metadata for these is in its own database.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you care at what point the metadata gets written to the file?
I like to use on my Reader PDF files in 9x12cm format that I create for this purpose. I had bad experiences last year with calibre. I realized that collection and metadata info regarding PDF files just disappeared after some weeks on my Reader when the metadata had been modified and sent by calibre for whatever reason. It was just instable. A reset and it was gone. So I do not trust anymore calibre for sending PDF files to my Sony PRS-505.

This behaviour being unacceptable, at least for me, I switched to a small freeware to just write my metadata on PDF files. After that I copy manually the files to the Reader and, since that time, I lost not one metadata for any PDF file.The only hitch is that I do not know how to add collections...

Between two evils, I chose what appeared to be the lesser one. And I hoped I could use calibre this way, just to write metadata for collection purpose....But it seems that a "tag" is not enough...

To conclude with intuition:
Suppose I have a PDF file on my desktop. In order to install it nicely in my Reader
- I import it into calibre. It creates a copy of it in a calibre folder somewhere in my Documents folder.
- I check and modify the metadata using calibre. I click OK.
If, now, I open this file, I will see that the metadata changes have NOT been taken into account.
You tell me calibre is waiting some other order or move. If for some reason (Reader is away, whatever), I decide to postpone the installation on the Reader, where will this additional metadata information be stored? Will it be lost? But I clicked OK...

Sorry, but this behaviour looks a little too complicated for me. When I click OK for the changes, I expect them to be done or I should see a kind of warning like "Your intended changes will be implemented when..."

You tell me I am wrong. Well, I'm probably cheaply wired

Last edited by roger64; 10-18-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: intuition
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If, now, I open this file, I will see that the metadata changes have NOT been taken into account.
Yes, it is Kovid's policy for Calibre to not modify the original ebook that you import. It makes perfect sense.

Quote:
You tell me calibre is waiting some other order or move. If for some reason (Reader is away, whatever), I decide to postpone the installation on the Reader, where will this additional metadata information be stored? Will it be lost? But I clicked OK...
Your metadata is certainly saved at the time you edit it. It just isn't saved into the original ebook file. It is stored in the Calibre database.

Quote:
Sorry, but this behaviour looks a little too complicated for me. When I click OK for the changes, I expect them to be done or I should see a kind of warning like "Your intended changes will be implemented when..."
It is not really complicated. When you click ok your changes are done. They just aren't saved in the original ebook file as you expected. As Harry said, some file types just don't allow for storing the metadata... or they allow for storing some. For example there is no place to store tags or a summary in most ebook formats.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I think the thing to realize is, Calibre seems to be designed with the idea that it is your repository for books and not simply a tool to modify information in an existing repository. It is very similar to the concept used by iTunes (depending on your iTunes library settings of course), where you import your file(s) into the tool and after that you let the tool handle every other operation (editing, conversion, file transfer, etc). Therefore, if your only goal is to change meta data and not use any other feature that Calibre offers, it is a rather poor choice because of the reasons mentioned by other posters (tedious process flow of import file->change data->export file). If, on the other hand, you need to convert the book or edit the metadata of multiple books at once, it might make more sense.

As far as using Calibre as the actual repository, I personally think it leaves a lot to be desired when compared to iTunes or my own file structure archiving system. That being said, I'm sure others love it and it fits their needs/tastes perfectly for that task.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote