Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
permutations
permutations began at the beginning.

Device: Loox 720
PDB file cannot be encrypted - but why?

I created a PDB file using DropBook - handcoded the PML. I sent it to Ingram for encryption and distribution and their system rejects the file - says it can't be encrypted. I'm supposed to create unencrypted files and submit these to Ingram for encryption, which I have done.

The file loads perfectly in eReader and B&N reader. There is only one graphic and it is small (<64K and 8-bit color). What is wrong? Is there something about DropBook that creates files that cannot be encrypted?

Thanks in advance.
permutations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sorry, I've never done this, so I've no idea. You could try asking the people who make DropBook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by permutations View Post
I created a PDB file using DropBook - handcoded the PML. I sent it to Ingram for encryption and distribution and their system rejects the file - says it can't be encrypted. I'm supposed to create unencrypted files and submit these to Ingram for encryption, which I have done.

The file loads perfectly in eReader and B&N reader. There is only one graphic and it is small (<64K and 8-bit color). What is wrong? Is there something about DropBook that creates files that cannot be encrypted?

Thanks in advance.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know the answer, but you could try opening the PML in eBook Studio and generating the PDB that way maybe that would work...
http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/ebookstudio.htm
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
permutations
permutations began at the beginning.

Device: Loox 720
I emailed customer service on ereader.com (makers of DropBook) right before posting here - i.e. days ago - and no one answered.

My understanding is that DropBook handles more PML than eBook Studio - or so says the readme. DropBook is a more mature program. eBook Studio just has a WYSIWIG interface so you don't have to write PML.

My rep at Ingram is no help at all with this (so far - trying to stay optimistic). I don't know what to do.
permutations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Based on my understanding, pdb format is open format with many sub-variations. So, many readers use pdb format with their own private-defined data field.
There is no open pdb encryption format. Although it's possible to encrypt pdb file, but, such pdb files are only readable by certain readers. Well, the reasoning must be reversed, you must choose a reader which is capable of reading encrypted pdb files, and you must create pdb files with the corresponding creator software. iSilo is a good example. Pdb files encrypted by iSilo creator can only be read by iSilo reader.
If you want to encrypt pdb file, you must make sure that the chosen reader is capable of decrypting the file. If the reader does not support reading encrypted pdb files, then of course you can't create encrypted pdb files which is readable on that reader.

Last edited by ericshliao; 08-08-2009 at 03:49 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I found a book this morning that's PDB, I don't suppose Kindle can read that...can it?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
I found a book this morning that's PDB, I don't suppose Kindle can read that...can it?
Not without conversion. Calibre will convert some PDB's, but if it's an iSilo PDB I don't think anything will convert it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Probably not. The first ting to do is to open the file with a text editor and look for the File Code, see Wiki: PDB. If this is TEXtREAd (PalmDOC), then you could try renaming from .pdb to .prc and it might work on your Kindle. If it is PNPdPPrs (eReader), then it might have DRM (if so, you probably gave your credit card number as a passcode) which can be circumvented using ereader2html.py. If an eReader .pdb does not have DRM, then Calibre can convert it to MOBI for you.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote