Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Interesting article on publisher's profits on eBooks

Publishers typically earn about $2.15 per digital book versus 26 cents for a print copy, according to Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. While publishers see digital books as the future, the market is dominated by the Kindle, leaving them vulnerable to Amazon.com’s bargaining power.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aWhjmdVFcC2Q
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Interestingly enough, that's quite an argument in favor of selling non-DRMed ebooks. Amazon has the "iTunes" advantage right now. One way to wrestle market share from Amazon is to create an outlet for ebooks unencumbered by DRM. Fictionwise's MultiFormat is good because it covers pretty much the whole gamut of ebook readers. Sure, the Amazon MP3 store didn't quite compete with the iTunes store but I think it came too late in the game. If the publishers want to have some measure of control, they should really re-think getting rid of DRM now instead of when they're even more in the mercy of Amazon.

By the way, I only started buying digital tracks when Amazon launched their MP3 store. Prior to that, I bought CDs (only ones with a bunch of good tracks I'd be willing to listen to over and over) and ripped them myself.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Well, it makes sense that an e-book will send less revenue to the publishers, since the cost of productions is lower. I'm not sure it's nearly $2/book though, even for a hardcover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Interestingly enough, that's quite an argument in favor of selling non-DRMed ebooks. Amazon has the "iTunes" advantage right now. One way to wrestle market share from Amazon is to create an outlet for ebooks unencumbered by DRM.
...except that most publishers would flatly refuse right now to release their books in a non-DRM format.

More competition is on its way, but unfortunately it will almost certainly have DRM and charge more than Amazon.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
Publishers typically earn about $2.15 per digital book versus 26 cents for a print copy, according to Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. While publishers see digital books as the future, the market is dominated by the Kindle, leaving them vulnerable to Amazon.com’s bargaining power.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aWhjmdVFcC2Q
That's income, not profit.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
chaznsc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Well, it makes sense that an e-book will send less revenue to the publishers, since the cost of productions is lower. I'm not sure it's nearly $2/book though, even for a hardcover.

...except that most publishers would flatly refuse right now to release their books in a non-DRM format.

More competition is on its way, but unfortunately it will almost certainly have DRM and charge more than Amazon.
What other cost is there? Formatting is done whether its printed or digital.
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
chaznsc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's income, not profit.
Thats not really clear in the article. I'm betting that's profit. If it isnt, they should be giving Kindles away for free.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
Thats not really clear in the article. I'm betting that's profit. If it isnt, they should be giving Kindles away for free.
The article doesn't use the word profit, so I would say that it is pretty clear.

Also, you have to remember that that number was provided by a so called analyst. It probably has no connection with reality.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The article doesn't use the word profit, so I would say that it is pretty clear.

Also, you have to remember that that number was provided by a so called analyst. It probably has no connection with reality.
The article goes on to say:

Quote:
Amazon.com, which cut the Kindle’s price yesterday, pays publishers $12 to $13 for Kindle editions of books on the New York Times best-seller list, and typically sells them for $9.99, said Paul Aiken, executive director of the Authors Guild, a New York-based group providing legal support to writers. Publishers are concerned that Amazon.com will start demanding lower prices from them so it can start making more money on digital books, he said.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Actually, something here doesn't add up. If publishers made $2.15 in profit on an e-book and only 29¢ profit on a paper book, they'd be over the moon about the e-books. That's probably why I misread it at first, assuming that paper books making more for the publishers.

It also seems very unlikely that Amazon will routinely boost e-book prices to $12.95 for all their books, especially if B&N's e-books wind up with that pricing (as they apparently plan). More likely is that they're hammering on the $9.99 price point, make a profit on most books at that price point anyway, and will use whatever means at their disposal to get the publishers to cut their wholesale e-book pricing.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Actually, something here doesn't add up. If publishers made $2.15 in profit on an e-book and only 29¢ profit on a paper book, they'd be over the moon about the e-books. That's probably why I misread it at first, assuming that paper books making more for the publishers.

It also seems very unlikely that Amazon will routinely boost e-book prices to $12.95 for all their books, especially if B&N's e-books wind up with that pricing (as they apparently plan). More likely is that they're hammering on the $9.99 price point, make a profit on most books at that price point anyway, and will use whatever means at their disposal to get the publishers to cut their wholesale e-book pricing.
Assuming they could sell as many copies of an E-book as they can of a P-book.

E-books are still a tiny tiny niche in the publishing world. Estimates are E-book sales are 2% to 4% of the P-book sales.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Profit margins are one thing, but there is also pricing psychology.

I think the publishers don't want to see the price of 'books' go from $25 (retail) to $10. Even if a customer cannot actually buy an ebook for $10 (because they don't own an ebook reader), the existence of 'the same' book at a much lower price is going to play with their minds, and they will not feel that $25 is a good value, and they'll spend that money on something else.

So a good strategy for them is indeed to price the ebook closer to the street price of the print version. And they do, generally speaking. But Amazon (in pursuit of its interest to own the ebook market) undercuts them by setting the price lower for best sellers, and they are kinda stuck with that model since Kindle customers have come to expect it (at least I have, even though I haven't bought a best seller yet).

It just remains to be seen who wins this tug of war on the perceived value of a 'book'. I think Amazon's position is pretty strong right now, but it's far from clear where it will wind up in a few years.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-16-2009 at 12:13 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chaznsc, ebooks, kindle, profit, prs-505