Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #91
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanescu View Post
I tried diags, fastboot or main .. nothing.
Your way of trying to use recovery mode is not correct. make sure that you're following this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
To get your kindle touch or k4nt into USB Recovery mode, plug in the USB cable, the press and hold the power switch until the power LED turns off, then press and hold the "Magic Key", then release the power switch, then release the "Magic Key". The "Magic Key" is a special button that is different on each model of kindle, and is used to enter USB Recovery mode.

Kindle Model, Magic Key:
Touch, Home button
K4NT, Five-Way Down button
K3, Volume Down button (different VID/PID).
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #92
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
@bstanescu: I just glanced at the beginning of the video after reading thomass's post above. I think what has confused you is that a bricked kindle may enumerate as being in USB Downloader mode when powered on (VID/PID 15a2:0052), but it is not actually listening for USB Downloader mode commands until you do the "magic key" sequence.

This "false USB Downloader mode" has been documented previously by yifanlu and others. To successfully use MfgTool (or imx_usb_loader), you MUST use the magic key sequence as shown above.

Please try again after using the magic key sequence, and report back with your results.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-01-2012 at 07:15 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #93
bstanescu
bstanescu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4NT
Thanks for your replies.

I did tried that too, numerous times (some tutorials about USB Recovery mode say that you should even press the magic key before starting to press the power button - tried that too). I tried all the combinations (even with the home button as magic key).

Fact is that - when I plug the kindle in, the OS does not recognize it as an HID device.
If I press (or start pressing) the power button, kindle shows up as an HID device, BUT, after the led goes off (and I press the magic key), it shows as disconnected from the OS and will not show again as an HID device, so I'm not able to use the MfgTool.

My question remains: should the device change visible state (eg: display something else?) After all successful MfgTool attempts (MfgTool reported successful) I tried the fastboot command, but it just gives me < Waiting for device >
bstanescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #94
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Try with Linux and imx_usb. Windows is giving waaaay too many problems with its driver hell, while on Linux it usually "just works".

EDIT: here's a link to get you started: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2269848 . Just read the discussion starting from that post, and you should be able to figure out what to do.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-02-2012 at 05:34 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #95
yash
yash began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4NT
can someone help :(((

Originally Posted by yash
hi i have a frozen/bricked kindle 4 nt, i read all i could on this forum and followed your "simple guide" and "noob's guide" too. here is what i did:

1. connected kindle to win7 64 bit via usb and put it in recovery by holding power then down arrow after the light went off.

2. it was recognized as HID device. then i used mfgtool: profile fastboot and hit start.

3. i had to start inf wizard to get my kindle recognized as as libusb kindle

4. made a folder c:\fastboot added these files :
a) mmcblk0p1-4.0.1
b) diags_kernel-4.0.1
p.s: i was confused here cause i was crossing files but i went through with this as mentioned in noobs guide might have been a mistake i dont know

5. then i flashed them and tried to reboot in cmd.exe but nothing showed up on my kindle it was still stuck where it was.

6. now my computer doesnt regognize my kindle at all meaning as before this it doesnt let me see the stuff it has like books n docs (it doesnt show up as a drive anymore)

m really confused m not that good in programming and stuff (m a doctor give me a sick patient to treat)

ok so what do i really do and how to get it up and running. please make it as simple as u can coz i have been reading all ur posts on kindle n m soooo confused

i just want it to run it used to no jailbreak or changing images just running. or is it bricked for good ?? the screen still has parts of advertisement it got stuck on with white lines through it.

thanks n sorry if i am asking for alot but i would really appreciate ur help
yash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #96
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Take two vodkas and call us in the morning.
(That is an attempt at a Russian Doctor joke.)

Your 4.a is not matched with your 4.b - (the file system is 'main' and the kernel is 'diags').

That may be how this trouble got started.

I turn this question over to those who know more about how to recover from this situation.

While waiting for replies - keep the kindle connected to the charger!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #97
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Touch
@geekmaster: I'm charging KT but after every two hours the orange LED turn off. I must hold Power+Magic Key to turn it on. Is it charging when there's no LED turn on ? Must I use Power+Magic every 2 hours to keep orange LED on ?

More infomation:

- Kindle 5
- The Diags can't run
- Bootloader u-boot corrupted.
- I tried MfgTool on Windows XP, imx_boot_loader+fastboot on Ubuntu
- I've tried command here
ppoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #98
yash

Thanks knc1

I tried matching the files and flashing but after each attempt no luck.
Waiting for the reply from the gurus

For now I am charging it from a wall outlet.

The led is orange not green does that mean something?
Screen is still in that previous state some at&t advertisement.
With lines throughout

Thanks again
Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #99
yash

Also, i read somewhere that it is not necessary that kindle 4NT will boot to diags screen i just have to proceed to next step according to noob's guide is that correct? if yes how do i proceed to next step and copy the main file to main system on my kindle when it doesnt reboot and get recognized as a usb/kindle after doing the cmd commands (fastboot reboot).

Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #100
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yash View Post
Thanks knc1

I tried matching the files and flashing but after each attempt no luck.
Waiting for the reply from the gurus

For now I am charging it from a wall outlet.

The led is orange not green does that mean something?
Screen is still in that previous state some at&t advertisement.
With lines throughout

Thanks again
It most probably means that the device is stuck in a programming loop that would over discharge the battery if left without external power.

@gurus: Help needed here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #101
yash

i understand that (read it somewhere before i started) so i have kept it on charging constantly. any news to how i can repair it ??
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #102
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
The lines throughout indicate the screen could be broken, but no i dea other wise...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #103
yash

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
The lines throughout indicate the screen could be broken, but no i dea other wise...
the screen isn't broken, i sure can tell if it was when it got frozen a week ago it had this at&t advertisement on it, after fidling with it for a week now it seems grey, black, and white lines are trying to cover this advertisement
thats all

still not very clear how to bring it back to life, wish i could try a defibrillator
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #104
xray
xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.xray got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle keyboard
Help with adv 1.67

I have a k3 wifi that is bricked. I have spent many hours reading and searching thru the numerous threads and think I have a handle on this except that I cannot get atk 1.67 to see a USB. I have loaded and unloaded multiple times. I am using a computer with win xp and I am getting very very frustrated? as I said please help. Also when exactly should I plug in the kindle to the USB. Sorry I really am not a programmer pretty close to clueless.

Last edited by xray; 11-12-2012 at 07:21 AM.
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #105
abderrahman
abderrahman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
K4NT wouldn't boot

I flashed everything without errors
but after rebooting from diags the K4NT doesn't go back to the "Under tree" screen... in fact the power button doesn't do anything!

But, diags & fastboot both work (thru Mfg)... however, main u-boat will not work

i tried the /dev/zero, also didn't solve the problem

Battery was full before the process
I got my files from the pastebin URL by GreekMaster. so files are correct
abderrahman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking