Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
Gerry Beard
Gerry Beard began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO touch
Kobo Touch and Calibre - syncing problems

Hi everyone
My problem is as follows (apart from being a newbie).

Before downloading Calibre (whose existence I was unaware of until arriving here!) I managed to load books using Kobo desktop software, however more often than not when plugging in the USB cable my Kobo T would only display the connect to computer screen for a second and then revert back to the home page. It was as if the cable connection was dodgy.
Now trying to use Calibre the difficulty is in locating the device. Wireless network is set up and seems OK, can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?
Many thanks for reading this.
Gerry
Gerry Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you trying to use Calibre to add books via USB, or do you hope to add books via the Calibre web interface?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
I got a question somehow related, when selecting the Kobo output profile in Calibre, I assume epub will stay .epub for the transfer, .mobi will get converted to .epub, but what about .pdf files? I'd like Calibre not to convert them. Is this the default or do I need to change something elsewhere? The Calibre GUI is really overwhelming at first ...
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Gerry Beard
Gerry Beard began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO touch
PeterT

Hi thanks for your response.
My preference is for a wireless connection, I have tried the USB lead in desperation.
I use an intel mac and at the moment I don't see the Calibre disk mounted in finder whether I am using the USB lead or hoping for a wireless connection.

I think, no I know I am confused! I understand that Calibre has a server which I could access via the net. This is not what I am after, I just want to be able to load books to my Kobo without using the USB lead from Calibre on my mac.

Last edited by Gerry Beard; 11-01-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Further thoughts
Gerry Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can get books on via:
  • USB connection and then Calibre / ADE / Kobo Desktop / Direct copy to the device
  • WiFi from a web server such as Calibre Content Server
  • Copying the books onto an micro SD card and using that
  • WiFi from the Kobo store (and then only in kepub format)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert