Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast
fleaaaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
Do you read on it?

Hey I was just wondering if anyone actually has an iPad to read on. I just got a sony reader, PRS350 and love that, I didn't want to get an iPad because I heard reading on a screen like the iPad's is a strain on the eyes after a while, like reading a book on the computer which I wouldn't enjoy. So am I correct in thinking that it's not really a replacement for a reader with E-ink technology?
fleaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have a Xoom and I love it for reading pdfs, magazines, color and web browsing. I hated trying to read pdfs one my eink readers but it's a pleasure on the Xoom.

I also switch around as I'm reading -- Xoom, Sony, DroidX, Kindle, etc. using the various Android apps as needed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
I got my iPad for reading. I find that e-ink is more of a strain on my eyes than the iPad's screen because I need very good lighting and contrast to read. I don't think I would be able to read even on the new e-ink screens without sitting directly in the sun (bad idea with my fair skin!). The iPad doesn't strain my eyes at all, as long as I use a decent text size and don't have the screen too bright. I also think it's healthier for my eyes, because the glare from a bright light is probably worse for them than the small amount of light from the iPad's screen when I'm reading in night mode. I have trouble with some backlit screens, though. Some screens like the one on my phone cause me a lot of eye strain. I got lucky with the iPad having a screen that doesn't hurt my eyes.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting. I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone that get's eyestrain from e-ink readers. ...
Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
My iPad has become my morning/evening newspaper and lecture platform for technical pdfs. Normal books go onto my PRS-505. I love both for... a thousand reasons! (yeah, I'm that lazy to specify =P)
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
My "real" reading (for pleasure) is on my Pocketbook 360. I love the ergonomics of it; it's so convenient to hold and always be comfortable. I use it because the e-ink is better on my eyes and for long reading sessions (which is, for me, longer than 1/2 hour), I don't get eye strain.

I do get eye strain if I attempt a straight reading-only session on my iPad. But, other than that, the iPad is for everything else. Nothing better than sitting down in the morning with my coffee, the iPad and my RSS feeds/forum browsers.

Wouldn't give up either one and they work great for the purpose for which I got them. Best purchase(s) ever!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I read exclusively on my iPad. I have poor vision and can not see e-ink at all anymore. I recently sold my Sony because it was totally useless to me.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Interesting. I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone that get's eyestrain from e-ink readers. ...
I have an eye condition. I can't read normal books because of the text size, so I thought that e-ink might work for me, but the contrast wasn't really good enough unless I had a very bright light, and I couldn't read for too long. I've found the iPad better for long periods for reading, but I really miss e-ink's great battery life. I'd love to get a look at a new e-ink screen with a portable book light and see how long I could read that. A kindle would be nice, because I'd have the text-to-speech if my eyes started to get sore. The iPad works for me for now, though.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphiresilver View Post
I have an eye condition. I can't read normal books because of the text size, so I thought that e-ink might work for me, but the contrast wasn't really good enough unless I had a very bright light, and I couldn't read for too long. I've found the iPad better for long periods for reading, but I really miss e-ink's great battery life. I'd love to get a look at a new e-ink screen with a portable book light and see how long I could read that. A kindle would be nice, because I'd have the text-to-speech if my eyes started to get sore. The iPad works for me for now, though.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
I read on it, too, though the screen's too bright even at its lowest setting--I use Stanza and put it in "Rocket ebook" mode for a restful green background!
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast
fleaaaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
iPad reading

Okay, thanks lol good to know some people have made this work too.
fleaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I read on mine-books, magazines, websites, messageboards...
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
With the sale that VZW has/had on the original iPad, I contemplated getting one for my mother (and possibly myself). She'd use the hell out of it for reading and possibly email stuff for school. I have enough computer stuff (2 laptops, 2 desktops) so I'd probably use it primarily for reading and maybe supplemental web-browsing and some work-related apps.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I do. Pretty much exclusively an LCD reader now days. I do my daytime reading on the iPad and go to sleep reading my Pandigital (smaller and not worried about dropping it off the bed when I drop off).

My little Sony 300 is pretty much an orphan, though I'll take it on the go sometimes.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Yep. Bought it specifically because I was going to shift to reading ebooks ( because I ran out of space for collecting pbooks).
Didn't want to be tied to one bookstore, so I passed on Kindle and the Nook after giving them both long looks.
Decided that my eyes could survive reading lcd, rather than eink.
Frankly, its worked out quite well. I get to shop from various bookstores. and the book reading apps are fine. The Ipad also is great at displaying pdfs with the Goodreader app.

Last edited by stonetools; 04-01-2011 at 12:51 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote