Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
(Solved) Rooted - where's Google Calendar?

Hi folks,

The rooted Nook Color is my first (ever) Android device, so please bear with me as I try to understand this OS.

I've noticed lots of images of other folks' misc. Android devices, and it appears that they have apps like Google Calendar, Email, and other apps the would seem to come standard with Android 2.1.

Is there something I need to do to enable these?

Thank for any help/understanding.

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 12-14-2010 at 08:15 PM.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Let me clarify here ... when I say "Google Calendar," I'm not even really sure that's what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to find some kind of calendar, where I can schedule stuff and have a friendly reminder once in a while. If it were to sync with Google, and provide some kind of desktop widget to boot, bonus.
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You can install those traditional Google apps if you enable access to the Android Market.

http://www.nookdevs.com/Enable_the_Android_Market

Also, you may be interested in the thread of Successful Apps on Rooted NOOKcolor.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109344
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Hi, Scion, thanks for the reply.

I do have the Android Marketplace installed, I did a search for Google Calendar, but it doesn't really seem to be finding the actual application.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

One other thing - when I search the Android marketplace for pretty much anything, it indicates that it found anywhere from 100 to 5000 results, but it seems I can only see about 10 or 15 of those, and there is no way to scroll for more?
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have access to the Market yet. I rooted prior to the breakthrough. I can't answer your question about search results.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Understood. Thank you for being so helpful in so many threads here in the forum, Scion. Sure is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

I'm now reading that the base Android apps are actually included in the open source SDK, which would lead us to believe that we could build the apk from the SDK, and then push install. Anyone else with some new insight?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Yes, there now some steps, or even a script that performs the steps for you to get google market and accounts working on the Nook. See Nookdev or xda-developers for the steps.

Once you have the Market working, Gmail will be installed and working too.

The google Calendar app can then be installed (actually it is 2 apks). I have successfully done this after extracting the calendars apps from the updated CM_5.0.8 file here
http://thekilpatrickproject.com/down...torola/sholes/

I had to ADB push them to the /system/app directory (after enabling R/W access). This step was pretty easy after doing it earlier to enable Market access.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Yes, there now some steps, or even a script that performs the steps for you to get google market and accounts working on the Nook. See Nookdev or xda-developers for the steps.

The google Calendar app can then be installed (actually it is 2 apks). I have successfully done this after extracting the calendars apps from the updated CM_5.0.8 file here

I had to ADB push them to the /system/app directory (after enabling R/W access). This step was pretty easy after doing it earlier to enable Market access.
Great! I've enabled Market access. I'll take the next step.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Quote:

Thank you so much for this. Worked perfectly.

I browsed to the website you mentioned, downloaded "update-cm-5.0.8-Droid-signed.zip", unzipped "Calendar.apk" and "CalendarProvider.apk" to my
"C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools" directory.

Then I opened an elevated command prompt, navigated the dos prompt to the platform tools directory, and typed (without the quotes):

"adb install calendarprovider.apk" <hit enter key>

and then again for:

"adb install calendar.apk" <hit enter key>

What a treat!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Okay, so in that same zip file were a couple more treats that worked:

Gallery3D.apk (if you have more than 30 photos/videos, you need this)
Calculator.apk (simple, but missing otherwise on the Nook)

Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
One other thing - when I search the Android marketplace for pretty much anything, it indicates that it found anywhere from 100 to 5000 results, but it seems I can only see about 10 or 15 of those, and there is no way to scroll for more?
Found an answer:

Quote:
It's a portrait mode bug. If you hold the nook in landscape mode, it displays them all (from what I hear).
Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Can anyone confirm that their Calendar is updating? Mine only seems to be showing events from the initial sync ....
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Can anyone confirm that their Calendar is updating? Mine only seems to be showing events from the initial sync ....
How do you get the calendar to do the initial sync? Under "My Calendars" it has US Holidays and my gmail account. It pulled in the holidays but not my events.

Edit: Figured it out. I simply uninstalled and re-installed. It pulled in my events.

Last edited by SCION; 12-15-2010 at 05:44 PM.