Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #14131
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Way of the Wolf (The Vampire Earth 1) by EE Knight
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #14132
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Scarecrow Returns
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #14133
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Re-reading Mark Helprin's incredible novel "Winter's Tale."

It's as good now as it was almost 30 years ago.

Don
A wonderful book!

Apparently they're now making a movie of it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #14134
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I'm almost halfway through the third volume of Shelby Foote's historical trilogy about the American Civil War. Thank you all for recommending it.

I may read Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin next.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #14135
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Stephen King, G. Norman Lippert and Jim Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well I finished my re-read of Deathly Hallows earlier and have now completed my second re-read of the entire series. I feel I enjoyed it even more than my first two times through. Since G. Norman Lippert has announced the impending release of his fourth James Potter novel, James Potter and the Morrigan Web (a free download) this Autumn, I am considering a re-read of his first three. But first I've begun reading Stephen King's 11/22/63: A Novel, and am already in the middle of Chapter 3. It really is an interesting read so far!
I've completed reading Stephen King's 11/22/63: A Novel and really really enjoyed it. Also I know a lot more about Lee Harvey Oswald and the J.F.K. assassination than I ever wanted to. But that's okay because King makes it all so very interesting and I became quite absorbed in the tale. Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to start a re-read of the three books in the James Potter series by G. Norman Lippert.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #14136
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Re-reading Mark Helprin's incredible novel "Winter's Tale."

It's as good now as it was almost 30 years ago.

Don
And I remember thinking I should read it back then....I wonder why I never did. Will have to get it back on the list...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #14137
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
A wonderful book!

Apparently they're now making a movie of it.

I wasn't aware of that. Thank you! I hope it captures the element of magical realism in the book.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #14138
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
The Book of Basketball - Bill Simmons
Great read, if you love "The Sports Guy's" humor, which I do. 700+ pages of love for the NBA, all very well written and thought out, and with surprisingly little bias worked in for his favorite players/teams. A little on the expensive side for Kindle, still, at $13.99, but I got a ton of enjoyment out of it. - A

The Legend of Huma - Richard A. Knaak
This is a re-read for me, albeit from 15+ years ago. Still as good as I remembered, maybe even better. The only great non Hickman/Weis involved DragonLance book. Rivals some of their better works as well, it's that good. - A+

No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden - Mark Owen
Just came out today, can't wait to get some time with it tonight.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #14139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yesterday I finished Star Trek: Voyager: Eternal Tide by Kirsten Bayer. It was quite good.

Today I've started A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow.

Quote:
It’s December in the Park, and a ranger is missing. It’s no great loss to the rest of the Park rats, they figure he’s stumbled into a snowbank and will re-emerge come breakup, just in time for the ground to thaw and them to bury him. But when the man sent to look for him also disappears, Kate Shugak, ex-investigator for the Anchorage D.A. and Park homesteader, is sent in search of them both.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #14140
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
An interesting set of SF and Fantasy short stories. A different style to the ones in Analog and Asimov's. Also some gossip/review articles, which I mostly skipped.

Next up: Interzone #212, Sep/Oct 2007 by TTA Press Authors
Another interesting set of stories. I probably should have read this closer to the time I bought them! I'll start adding one in every so often.

Next: The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, September/October 2012. I didn't notice that this had come out. Good so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #14141
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yesterday I finished Star Trek: Voyager: Eternal Tide by Kirsten Bayer. It was quite good.

Today I've started A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow.

I just finished that one and loved it. I am now readingH.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian.

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #14142
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Heheh, so I finished the whole HP in about 3 weeks. That was my first time, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
On the other hand, I simply can't get involved with Quidditch at all! Sections dealing with that "game" leave me cold. Fortunately there aren't too many of those scenes. The adolescent love sections are equally boring and Fred and George have been and remain the most irritating characters Rowling ever created.

I'm a completist, so I'll go on and read Deathly Hallows and hope that it is better than its predecessor.
Really??? I found the Quidditch and the commentator highly amusing. The twins are nice too. Almost as pleasant as Snape.

I also finished Dance Dance Dance (Murakami), and now I'm reading Master and Margarita (Bulgakov).
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #14143
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I just finished that one and loved it. I am now readingH.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian.
Apache
I'm assuming you've already read Master and Commander, the first book in the series? It's not an absolute, certainly, the books stand alone. But there is so much history and character development across the series that it's useful to start at the beginning. Or, if not, go back and read the earlier book(s) when you can.

This is one of my all time favourite series, full stop.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #14144
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The series has gone through its own transformations from the opening novel. In the end Rowling manages to end in a fairly effective manner. There is plenty of action, some unusual twists, and an effective ending--though the little "19 Years Later" epilogue is a bit cheesy--but not unpleasantly so.

All-in-all, this is certainly not the best {nor anywhere near the best} YA fantasy. The Darkangel trilogy is much better {IMHO}. But it is good and worth reading. I feel that the most effective character in the book is Snape because there is a redemptive dimension--which is more effectively brought out in the film. The other characters have some vividness but are generally flat--though there are a few moments when Harry does round out a bit-especially in this final volume.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #14145
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I've been working through some of the free mysteries I downloaded.

Paul Levine's Solomon vs Lord (library audiobook)
The mystery plot was an intriguing background to the two lawyers spitting and hissing at each other like cats, in heat. Lively dialogue and complicated characters made this a winner and I'll be adding the rest of the series to my to-be-read list. I'm looking forward to trying out his Jake Lassiter series as well.

J. C. Simmons's Blood on the Vine
The author gave the central character an interesting background, but failed to take advantage of it. In fact, all the characters in the book were flat and dull. I'll pass on the rest of the Leicester series.

Margaret Maron's first Sigrid Harald book One Coffee With
I've read many of Maron's books and was thrilled to find this long out of print one for free a few weeks ago. It didn't disappoint.

I also read a couple of Josephine Tey's early books, The Man in the Que and A Shilling for Candles. It's a shame she didn't write more books, since they are both charming and underrated in my opinion.

Last edited by Synamon; 09-05-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote