Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
aguaKate
aguaKate began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Boox M92
What's good in the 9.7" e-ink world? M92?

Hello all!
I am thinking about selling one of my two full sized Edges and getting an M92. I tried to get some feedback on the Onyx boox forum, but I realized that it's hard to compare with the EE unless you know everything that it can do. So, I decided to come back here and see if anyone here knows how the current options stack up.

I'm thinking about the M92 since it seems to have nice hardware and a good developer community. The pearl screen is the main attraction, and a few of the annotation/scribble features look even better than the edge (it resizes handwritten notes as you resize the document, which is pretty nice).

I know that it won't be able to offer all of the advantages of the edge (so sad to say these almost three years later that this is still the case), but does anyone have experience with these devices? Mostly I'm looking for good reading and highlighting/annotating possibilities with the most mobility possible. For example, the one thing I really miss on the edge (other than the awesome pearl screen), is the ability to batch export multiple annotated pdfs. Getting them off the device easily is a big feature!

Any thoughts?
aguaKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I looked at (read about) the M92 for my husband, but he decided to stick with his smaller screen Kindle instead. I know they had firmware/button troubles (?) early on, but might be good now. If you get one I'd like to know what you think!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
aguaKate

Hi Filark! Thanks for the reply. I think I will end up getting one and will report back with my experience. It seems as though there are some good options for EE people in tablet world (the Galaxy Note being the most obvious), but much less so in terms of the eink side.

It sounds like the M92 has a good developer community that is pushing a lot of improvements, which gave me some confidence. In terms of academic capabilities, I am cautiously optimistic that it may have some advantages over EE, but I am also very sure that it won't be able to measure up on other features.

I'm going to bet that the advantages will make it worth taking the plunge, but there's no question that I'm going to hang on to one of my EEs!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
aguaKate

Just to follow up on this post...

I went for the m92 and have been using it for the past two months. It is much buggier than the EE, but has some enough advantages that I've been using it as my primary academic reading device.

Here are my favorite features:

1. Absolutely above all, the pearl eink screen with the increased contrast is a pleasure to read on. I'm sure you've all seen them. The Edge screen is great, the pearl screen of the m92 is even better.

2. Annotations: it has a couple of features I really like, including the option to export all of the text you've highlighted into a text file. The text file separates the text chunks and includes the page they were extracted from. Very handy and the export works quickly. The highlighting feature also works better - more precisely than the EE. However, it does not have line straightening, one of my favorite EE text marking features. My lines are back to being messy.

3. Performance: it's a bit speedier than the eink side of the EE (as it should be considering how much newer it is).

4. Syncing: not as good as the EE by a long shot, but I've found it very easy to use an app to sync the files using and app that copies things between the SD card and the indicated folder on my computer. I don't miss the dropbox connectivity as much as I had expected. (This feature is said to be in the works though)

5. Related to number one (my second favorite feature) GLYPH EMBOLDEN in PDFs!!! If you have a faint PDF, this feature saves it and makes it readable again! Even with good PDFs I usually punch this up a bit for increased contrast.

The main thing that this device really fails on is in note taking. It has all of the potential in terms of hardware (the stylus is more precise than the ED), but the note application is not very good right now. I only use it in a pinch. This may be improved though since the developer community is strong. In addition to a few annoying bugs, I have a couple of other small issues (ex. the color of the highlight when you flatten an annotated PDF and read it on your computer is best described as 'mud,' both ugly and hard to read - but on the upside, you can edit the highlights on the exported version and it maintains the searchability of OCRed text - something the EE falls short on).

Overall, I've been very happy with the m92 and would recommend it to any Edge lover who uses it primarily for reading and academic text marking.

Hope this is useful info!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks for the review, aguaKate!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
zaza13
zaza13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguaKate View Post
Just to follow up on this post...

I went for the m92 and have been using it for the past two months. It is much buggier than the EE, but has some enough advantages that I've been using it as my primary academic reading device.

Here are my favorite features:

1. Absolutely above all, the pearl eink screen with the increased contrast is a pleasure to read on. I'm sure you've all seen them. The Edge screen is great, the pearl screen of the m92 is even better.

2. Annotations: it has a couple of features I really like, including the option to export all of the text you've highlighted into a text file. The text file separates the text chunks and includes the page they were extracted from. Very handy and the export works quickly. The highlighting feature also works better - more precisely than the EE. However, it does not have line straightening, one of my favorite EE text marking features. My lines are back to being messy.

3. Performance: it's a bit speedier than the eink side of the EE (as it should be considering how much newer it is).

4. Syncing: not as good as the EE by a long shot, but I've found it very easy to use an app to sync the files using and app that copies things between the SD card and the indicated folder on my computer. I don't miss the dropbox connectivity as much as I had expected. (This feature is said to be in the works though)

5. Related to number one (my second favorite feature) GLYPH EMBOLDEN in PDFs!!! If you have a faint PDF, this feature saves it and makes it readable again! Even with good PDFs I usually punch this up a bit for increased contrast.

The main thing that this device really fails on is in note taking. It has all of the potential in terms of hardware (the stylus is more precise than the ED), but the note application is not very good right now. I only use it in a pinch. This may be improved though since the developer community is strong. In addition to a few annoying bugs, I have a couple of other small issues (ex. the color of the highlight when you flatten an annotated PDF and read it on your computer is best described as 'mud,' both ugly and hard to read - but on the upside, you can edit the highlights on the exported version and it maintains the searchability of OCRed text - something the EE falls short on).

Overall, I've been very happy with the m92 and would recommend it to any Edge lover who uses it primarily for reading and academic text marking.

Hope this is useful info!
This is very useful for me ...
I have been looking for a m92 review on google and found your post so decided to register just to let you know that ...

Last edited by zaza13; 06-23-2013 at 09:42 AM.
zaza13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9.7", academic use, annotation, eink