Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
@alex, is a hobgoblin second cousin to a bugaboo?
I'm not sure. Bugaboo is not in my Oxford Paperback Dictionary, and Wikipedia says see bogeyman.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Somewhere in my net reading I saw that the n-dash was used for numeric or date ranges, without spaces; the em-dash, without spaces, everywhere else.

OTOH, I can understand having more uses for the en-dash... I think you should be consistent within a work, though.
Whether one uses em-dash with no spaces or en-dash with spaces for "any break in thought" is a stylistic choice, and as with all such arbitrary choices, the 'right' choice changes with time and place.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
After checking the epub and mobi files in various viewers, and sometimes seeing a space or a box before the em dash, I decided to let them remain orphans and fall where they may. I think that's the lesser evil of the choices since I can't control what device or viewer people read on.

I checked various purchased books and library books, where the formatting was done very nicely, and they all had orphaned em dashes, even when there was a space before the dash (which in that case I think it could be avoided using &nbsp for the space though).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And one more question about em dashes that's come up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think I've seen all these styles:
2. double em dash at the end (making sure there's no gap between them):
His thoughts were confused—he had been drinking—and he did not answer. I would like to kn——
I've used the double em dash as you have here (following the original format of the book). It looks perfect on my Sony reader and in all viewers for epubs. But when I convert it to mobi, there's always a small gap between the 2 em dashes.

Is there any way to avoid that gap between the em dashes for mobi format?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Is there any way to avoid that gap between the em dashes for mobi format?
I don't think so, but it probably depends on the font.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no gap between consecutive em-dashes when viewed on the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't think so, but it probably depends on the font.
Correct. With electronic fonts you are at the mercy of the font's kerning table, the renderer's use of that table, and the renderer's own letterspacing rules.

This latter point is generally more of an issue when justification is being applied by the renderer, either due to its own settings or instructions in the ebook itself. If the display renderer needs to space out the letters in a word, rather than just the space between words, it will space out punctuation as well as alphanumeric characters.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

That's great to hear, thanks for the info. I don't have a Kindle, so used Kindle for PC to check it, and it definitely shows a gap there. When I used the Kindle Previewer, it shows a gap but only for the Paperwhite.

Glad to hear that's not how it display on a real Kindle reader though.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've even modified the font I use in my reader, with fontforge, to force a negative kerning between consecutive em-dashes.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote