Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Android 2.1 Note taking App?

I have a Superpad, which has android 2.1.
I find in my line of work that I am constantly carrying a paper notebook around to scribble notes in.

Is there a good app that I could use so I could start using my tablet instead? I would really like to use it for more than just a comic/manga reader
I need something I can write with my stylus, quickly, and then easily find again later that day.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
I use SuperNote, just not sure it is compatible with Eclair.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
I use SuperNote, just not sure it is compatible with Eclair.
According to Google Play Supernote is compatible with 2.1 on up.
Link
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
According to Google Play Supernote is compatible with 2.1 on up.
Link
Then it gets a big thumbs up from me. I was too lazy to look it up... Thanks.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Personally I've forgone the whole stylus option on Android tablets and have opted to use a good keyboard like FlexT9, Swype, or SwiftKey to enter text. The value here is that text is searchable so I can later perform serches(more on this later). Pen taken notes will also be image based so they will take up much more space.

That said there are a few good Pen optimized note taking apps. I use Gnote which has features for keyboard and Stylus. The nice thing about Gnote is it syncs with your Gmail account so you can later access your notes from a PC or other Android device.

Also a good app is also Quil wich is optimized for taking notes with a stylus.

I would however recommend that you use something like Catch or Evernote to store your image based notes. These services OCR your notes so you can search them later
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I recommend EverNote. You can access your notes via a PC app, or the browser, and has a sync feature. Very nice and convenient.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I recommend EverNote. You can access your notes via a PC app, or the browser, and has a sync feature. Very nice and convenient.
And I strongly discourage you from using Evernote. I recently lost important notes I was scribbling during a lecture because Evernote failed to sync (apparently there was neither WiFi nor 3G in the lecture room). Evernote for Android is just a thin client to the web-based Evernote notes container.

A much better option is Freenote:
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...ouxie.freenote

It nicely lets you customize handwriting options and it keeps the handwriting as vector shapes, so it can resize, move the text etc. It can also easily share the notes to any application that can take images, including PDF creators, Evernote etc.

So, even if you keep your notes mainly on Evernote, it seems sensible to take your notes with Freenote and then export/share the note to the cloud-based Evernote, Dropbox etc.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all.
the thing is, I am just not a keyboard [virtual] typer. I NEED to scribble
I do a lot of walking around with clients and I need to take down the specifics of what they want while it is fresh in my head. And I can add details that matter to us but not necessarily the client.

Scribble, scribble, scribble....
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Superpad has a resistive touchscreen? Try MaplePaint. Free, saves as SVG, can add text via keyboard, and you make room between "scribbles" if needed (verticle only). Works great with my Pocket edge (resistive screen) because it has icons for all tools (no gestures needed).

Also, look up Diopen as a handwriting recognition keyboard replacement.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

it is resistive, not the best, ie I have to press firmly, but if I can get a good app I don't mind...
Old 05-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
it is resistive, not the best, ie I have to press firmly, but if I can get a good app I don't mind...
Give MaplePaint a try. It's worth it if only for the no-multi-touch-needed feature.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@macminer Evernote now has offline cashing you can now create notes offline. My biggest issue with Evernote is that every time they add a substantial feature they'll ask for more permissions.

Freenote looks interesting I'll have to give it a try
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
And I strongly discourage you from using Evernote. I recently lost important notes I was scribbling during a lecture because Evernote failed to sync (apparently there was neither WiFi nor 3G in the lecture room). Evernote for Android is just a thin client to the web-based Evernote notes container.
I almost never sync my evernote notes... I turned it off. However, you must save your note before exiting the application.

I am probably prejudiced, as HTC integrated Evernote into the Flyer and made a pen-app, but I like my Evernote. I use it as my shoppinglist
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I almost never sync my evernote notes... I turned it off. However, you must save your note before exiting the application.
... which is quite different from most other note taking applications I used. If I edit a note, I assume it is stored in the database the moment I start writing, not like a "fresh" MSWord file which I need to create, name and save.

But on the occasion I mentioned previously I actually tried to save the note and Evernote seemed to have done that (although it took surprisingly long). Only later I found that it actually tried to synchronize the note with the web-based notes and failed, not saving the note anywhere...
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I have a Superpad, which has android 2.1.
I find in my line of work that I am constantly carrying a paper notebook around to scribble notes in.

Is there a good app that I could use so I could start using my tablet instead? I would really like to use it for more than just a comic/manga reader
I need something I can write with my stylus, quickly, and then easily find again later that day.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
I use Colornote which is free from the Amazon App store

http://www.amazon.com/Social-Mobile-...7102699&sr=1-1
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote