Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
"Custom" skin sites.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good "skin" site that has the ability to create a custom skin for a K3? By custom, I mean upload my own photo/artwork. The place I've used for years kind of screwed me over the last time I ordered from them -- skin didn't arrive for 3 months -- so I'd rather not tempt that fate again.

I stumbled upon http://www.uniqueskins.com, but I've never heard of them and don't know anyone who has shopped there ... so I hesitated before pulling the trigger.

Thanks in advance
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Only thing that makes me apprehensive about those skins is the "high-gloss finish." Not something I would find ideal for a Kindle surface. I've seen some on Amazon that claimed to have a matte finish.

I wish someone made a thin leather skin for it. Something thin enough that it didn't interfere with strap attachments in covers.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 12-13-2010 at 01:09 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Skinit.com makes Kindle 3 custom skins.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Skinit.com makes Kindle 3 custom skins.
Thank you, that was exactly the type of place I was looking for =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Only thing that makes me apprehensive about those skins is the "high-gloss finish."
My lady somehow managed to put a large scratch in the plastic casing of her K3 (lucky enough it missed the screen) but she is worried about it happening again so wanted a skin for extra protection.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Only thing that makes me apprehensive about those skins is the "high-gloss finish." Not something I would find ideal for a Kindle surface. I've seen some on Amazon that claimed to have a matte finish.

I wish someone made a thin leather skin for it. Something thin enough that it didn't interfere with strap attachments in covers.
Decalgirl offers all of their skins in a matte finish, if that is what you are looking for: http://www.decalgirl.com/category.vi...le-3-Skins/all I'm not sure what you mean by "not.....ideal for a Kindle surface," unless you meant it would be too slippery if used when reading a "naked" Kindle? I have one of their skins (high gloss) and really like it and it was very easy to install, but my Kindle is in my Oberon cover so the glossy surface has nothing to do with keeping a secure grip on the Kindle.

As for the leather skin, I did find one site that seems to offer a genuine leather skin for the kindle, but it looks as if it is for the back of the Kindle only, and the site is a Vietnamese site, so unless you read/write Vietnamese, which I don't, I am not sure you could order from them - khachten.com - here are some pictures of their Kindle 3 skin - http://www.flickr.com/photos/khacten...7625147521759/ I would hope it came in different colours, too. ZAGGmate has leather skins for the iPad and various other mobile devices, but I found nothing for the Kindle 3; wonder if you could email them and ask them about it? They look very nice - http://www.zagg.com/leatherskins/index.php

Exer - decalgirl also makes custom skins for the Kindle 3; you just need to email them and ask about it and they will send you instructions as to how to get a custom skin from them. Here is what Aimee of Live Chat told me about it:

Quote:
Aimee: Hi Holly

Holly: Hello, Aimee. Just wondering if you make custom skins from a photograph, for instance.

Aimee: we sure do

Aimee: the price is $5.00 over the price listed on our website for that device you want

Holly: Cool - I couldn't find anything on your site that stated this one way or another, so wasn't sure what the process was. I already have a skin from decalgirl but the subject came up on the Kindle 3 mobileread forum and I wanted to let a poster there know whether or not you did custom work.

Aimee: we do, the customer just needs to get in touch with us and we can send them all the information

Holly: You might suggest to who ever is in charge of your web site that they make this information more prominent so visitors to your site are aware that custom skins are available.

Aimee: I COMPLETELY AGREE!! That is something that we constantly ask to be put up on the website

Holly: Well, I'll let the folks on mobileread know it is available, anyway. If your suggestions don't sway your company to get this info on the Web site, I guess mine won't either!

Aimee: oh, it may!! i think if enough people request it on web boards, they would do something about it!!

Holly: Maybe so! Thanks again. Good bye.

Aimee: Bye!!
Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 12-14-2010 at 06:38 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Exer
I see Russia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Exer - decalgirl also makes custom skins for the Kindle 3; you just need to email them and ask about it and they will send you instructions as to how to get a custom skin from them. Here is what Aimee of Live Chat told me about it:

Holly
Thanks for that, I would have never thought to ask them, since they didn't have it listed as a service. You're right, they really should. I bet they lose a lot of sales from folks like me who were clueless. Decalgirl was one of the sites I had been looking at before I came here and asked, simply because I knew DG at least had a good reputation
Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Decalgirl offers all of their skins in a matte finish, if that is what you are looking for: http://www.decalgirl.com/category.vi...le-3-Skins/all I'm not sure what you mean by "not.....ideal for a Kindle surface," unless you meant it would be too slippery if used when reading a "naked" Kindle? I have one of their skins (high gloss) and really like it and it was very easy to install, but my Kindle is in my Oberon cover so the glossy surface has nothing to do with keeping a secure grip on the Kindle.

As for the leather skin, I did find one site that seems to offer a genuine leather skin for the kindle, but it looks as if it is for the back of the Kindle only, and the site is a Vietnamese site, so unless you read/write Vietnamese, which I don't, I am not sure you could order from them - khachten.com - here are some pictures of their Kindle 3 skin - http://www.flickr.com/photos/khacten...7625147521759/ I wold hope it came in different colours, too. ZAGGmate has leather skins for the iPad and various other mobile devices, but I found nothing for the Kindle 3; wonder if you could email them and ask them about it? They look very nice - http://www.zagg.com/leatherskins/index.php

Holly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
Thanks for that, I would have never thought to ask them, since they didn't have it listed as a service. You're right, they really should. I bet they lose a lot of sales from folks like me who were clueless. Decalgirl was one of the sites I had been looking at before I came here and asked, simply because I knew DG at least had a good reputation
our accessories sticky used to have this information. maybe if everyone asks we can get it back!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote