Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-31-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
daught
Enthusiast
daught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it is

Question Installing "Send to Palm" plug-in in Adobe Reader 6?

Greetings. I have updated to Adobe Reader 6 on my Mac (OS X 10.2.6) and Adobe Reader for Palm OS 3 onto my desktop and handheld. Individually these programs work fine. However, the Reader Manual says a "Send to Palm" plug-in option should be available from the File Menu of Reader 6, but that it won't be visible if not installed. I DON'T see "Send to Palm" in the File Menu. What did I do wrong? How do I correct it? Should I deinstall Reader for Palm and reinstall it with Reader 6 already installed?

Thanks in advance.

Gary
daught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
daught
Enthusiast
daught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it isdaught knows what time it is

Okay, I DE-INSTALLED Reader for Palm OS 3 with Adobe Reader 6 already installed. (I like the handy "De-install" option.) Then I RE-INSTALLED it. Now I CAN see the "Send to Palm" option in the File Menu and on the Tool Bar. But when I select it with an open pdf document NOTHING HAPPENS.

Something is obviously still not right. Ideas?

Thanks.
Advert
Old 05-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Daught, Not an answer to your question, I'm afraid (though I will try myself later), but a question from me to you: How does th enew Adobe Reader for Palm compare with versions 1 and 2? Is it just as slow going from page to page?
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:15 PM   #4
dgoeg
dgoeg began at the beginning.

It's even slower!

And even when the loading symbol disappears, you can't scroll down immediately. The page is still being rendered or something.

Definitely a step backwards.
And since I don't need adobes DRM I'll reinstall version 2.0.
dgoeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:57 PM   #5
BasilC
Zealot

Oh no, this is bad news. I wish they would do a version where you could do away with the division into pages, like you can with iSilo. We'll just have to keep looking for a good pdf to html converter and use iSilo on the PDA.
Advert
Old 06-01-2003, 07:04 PM   #6
BasilC
Zealot

At least version 3 allows you to read Adobe ebooks on your PDA. Since there are some books that are only available in this format, I think I'll have to have version 3 just in case.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:45 PM   #7
daught
Enthusiast

Greetings. I solved the problem with the "Send to Palm" plug-in. The pdf I was using as a test had security enabled, so it wouldn't convert. Other pdfs I tried worked fine.

My remaining problem is I can't seem to activate my Palm for DRM. I was able to activate DRM on my Mac just fine. Anyone had any luck activating your Palm?

As to the question on speed (or lack of it). I find Reader 3 scrolls through a page with no speed hang-ups. Still a bit slow between pages--I get the "working" icon. But it feels to me faster than version 2 (I'm using OS 4 on an m500).

Gary
Old 06-02-2003, 03:00 PM   #8
daught
Enthusiast

OK, I finally got my Palm activated to the DRM thingy. But do I actually want to use this service? I am hearing a fair amount of frustration regarding Adobe eBooks--where the purchased eBook is downloaded to, lack of transferability, etc. Some bugs left to work out?

Gary
Old 06-02-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
BasilC
Zealot

Gary, I haven't actually purchased an Adobe eBook because I didn't previously have the ability to read them on my PDA. Reading them on my computer at home is a worse option than just buying the book. So I can't comment on the kind of problems you're referring to. I might start purchasing them, but only as a last resort, Palm Reader seems a better option when it's available.