Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
fer400
fer400 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902
Smile PocketBook pro 902 & pro 903

Hi Everybody:

I am new here, so this is my first question to the Forum.
I am planning to buy the Pocketbook pro 902 because of the large screen and capabilities for reading pdf files. As I have never seen or had one in my hands, I am a little concern about how good the quality of the text is. I believe the device does not use eInk Perl, but relies instead on the old Vizplex screen technology. How good the contrast and readability of the screen is?

My other concern is that I have a Bluetooth-enable mini Mac, and I am wondering how am I going to transfer files into the device. Can anyone with a Mac tell me how they have done?

Thanks for your answers,
Fernando
fer400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Fernando and welcome to MobileRead. If you don't get an answer here soon, try posting your question in our Pocketbook section
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Although Pocketbook 903 does not use Pearl the contrast is quite good and there's not problem reading whatsoever.

Beside that i recommend that you take a look at the pocketbook forum before you decide to buy a PB. It's not that good as one may think...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

Your post has been positioned into the PB threads, so take a browse around until someone pops in to answer your specific questions.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Don't count on the bluetooth too much, you could use basic object push to transfer files but its slow and clumsy.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
martinb
martinb began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think readability is o.k. - I would compare it to typical pulp paper (like penguin classics). For reading, the device is fun, but it has a few bugs - for example, if you zoom into a page, you cannot move horizontally.
martinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Hi fer 400
For reading i can confirm. Even if it hasn't a pearl screen, it is very good. And if you buy a 903 model, you can use to write on it as well... since i have bought it, i don't write anymore on papers, just on my pocketbook 903.
However, I suggest you to look at this page,
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
in particular the last model of large devices. On judging the Pocketbook 903 consider that

1) SDK is still not available (even if in the link reported above it's written "yes")
2) "Annotation" function is available but it isn't what you could think... it is actually a useless function. This is a pity since the device is touch screen and has the hardware to implement this fully.
3) There are different bugs that are not always fixed with the recent updates.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Wink Re: PocketBook pro 902 & pro 903

Hi Fer400, I've had my PocketBook Pro 902 for about 4 months now, and I love it. Despite the negatives listed below, if you're looking for an ebook reader, you can't go wrong with the 902. The screen is excellent, you can add whichever truetype fonts you prefer, and there are five size levels per font. I'm 63 years old and I read at the smallest Courier font size (9) with no problems at all. The contrast is good under indoor lighting, and excellent in direct sunlight. As for problems with the 902, I haven't had one yet. I have upgraded the firmware from the original I received in December 2010 to 2.0.4, then 2.0.5 without any problems, and I'm planning on doing the 2.0.6 update tonight after I get home. I can't answer your Mac question because A) I use a PC, and B) I've always found the USB cable to be the easiest way to update the library on the device. As mentioned in just about every other thread in the Pocketbook forum, Calibre is the absolute best tool for using for library management and ebook conversion. If you have any other questions regarding the 902 specifically, please feel free to ask.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
Hi fer 400
For reading i can confirm. Even if it hasn't a pearl screen, it is very good. And if you buy a 903 model, you can use to write on it as well... since i have bought it, i don't write anymore on papers, just on my pocketbook 903.
However, I suggest you to look at this page,
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
in particular the last model of large devices. On judging the Pocketbook 903 consider that

1) SDK is still not available (even if in the link reported above it's written "yes")
2) "Annotation" function is available but it isn't what you could think... it is actually a useless function. This is a pity since the device is touch screen and has the hardware to implement this fully.
3) There are different bugs that are not always fixed with the recent updates.
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Hi, except for the fact that I have a PB603, I'm quite pleased. there are little problems, but nothing impossible to manage with caution and a good search in these helpful forums
I have a mac mini, I use ubuntu linux though, so I cannot be helpful here.
I right click on a file and I choose "send to.. >bluetooth> pocketbook. it cannot be so much different with osx.
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
the only problem with Macs that PBs are having relates to old versions of Macs, G4 and G5s... new Macs see PocketBooks very well.
P.S. I never used bluetooth for anything with readers... it's much faster to take a USB cord and hook it up to your comp and your reader... but it's just me)))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocketbook pro 902