Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
mdb139
Enthusiast
mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android (Samsung Captivate)
Nook for Android - DYI ePub & Other Questions

Anyone out there using the Nook app for Android?

I just switched from an iPhone, where I've always used the "old" eReader app from ereader.com/Fictionwise. I tried the beta eReader program but it is REALLY rough and I presume now DOA, so after trying out many of the apps available (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, FBReader, Aldiko, and Laputo) I ended up sticking with (for the time being at least) Nook b/c (a) I think it looks the best and (b) I buy my books from B&N anyway.

My questions to anyone using the app:

* Are you able to load your own ePubs? I tried doing this and the app fails to open the book (just hangs, doesn't even crash). Interesting b/c these are simply DRM-stripped copies of the books I've bought from B&N; otherwise not modified. The app did load versions of the same books that I converted to MOBI, but the formatting was horrible (i.e., didn't honor page breaks, etc.).

* Have you figured out a way to get the screen to sleep when the app is open? My concern here is that I fell asleep reading last night and the screen never shut down.

Thanks in advance!
mdb139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb139 View Post
* Are you able to load your own ePubs? I tried doing this and the app fails to open the book (just hangs, doesn't even crash). Interesting b/c these are simply DRM-stripped copies of the books I've bought from B&N; otherwise not modified. The app did load versions of the same books that I converted to MOBI, but the formatting was horrible (i.e., didn't honor page breaks, etc.).
I load Fictionwise multi-format ePub on it without any problems. I just drop them into "My Files" via USB.

The app has "Prevent Phone from Sleeping" permission and I don't know of a way to override that.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
mdb139
Enthusiast
mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdb139 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android (Samsung Captivate)
After tinkering with this for a bit, I found that if I go to the MyFiles icon and click on the book cover, it causes the hang/crash. However, if I click the dropdown arrow next to the book, select "View Details" and then click "Read Now" it works.

Obviously, not ideal, but at least I can get it to work.

On to another question: Is it me, or does the application not really honor your view settings? Seems like I can tweak the font size and margins, but it doesn't appear to honor justification or font selection (or at least it's not consistent).
mdb139 is offline   Reply With Quote