Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Scorehound
Scorehound began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Living in Canada, looking for the best option...

I am thinking about a Nook HD, a Kobo Arc 7 or a Kindle Fire HD, all of which are in the $150-$170 range.

I need an e-reader that also has good magazine subscription content, a healthy supply of books and excellent options for the reader.

BUT, I live in Canada and every web search I have done on the limitations of buying tablets like the Kindle or Nook when it comes to geography have been old discussions and not current ones.

So, my main questions are:

1. Does the Kindle Fire HD and the Nook HD offer the same magazine content in Canada as they do in the States currently?

2. For the Nook, currently (December 2013), how many books do we Canadians have access to? I am having trouble finding that answer.

3. I am a photographer so I will be purchasing a lot of photography books which are largely color with many photographs and charts, etc... which reader do you think would best display content like this?

4. Which reader displays .pdf files the best?

5. I know that the Kobo and the Kindle do not have micro sd cards, but could you stick a USB jump Drive into the device and load books and content from that? There are some pretty small jump drives out there.

6. Do the tablets support flash? I heard that Android dropped support for Flash, but I am not certain.

I have been studying this for days and I am starting to get a headache from it... lol.
Scorehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
I think that the nook requires an American credit card to buy stuff, or at least a billing address.
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...national-users
Copy and paste this into your browser.
For the kindle:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ndle-fire-hd-7
If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, then I'll just copy and paste the important part here:

"I also really like the ability to load in all of my own content, which many tablets like the Nook and iPad don’t allow you to do. Since I live in Canada, it is impossible to enjoy this tablet to the maximum and international customers are severely limited in the things they can purchase or download for free. This is the number one drawback, and anyone outside the USA should strongly consider this if you are thinking about buying the Kindle Fire HD 7. Of course, there are workarounds. You can simply install the Good e-Reader APP Store and download Netflix, Hulu+, Marvel Comics, Zinio, Press Reader, and other popular programs to get all of your content you couldn’t otherwise access. It’s jumping through many hoops instead of “1 click downloads,” but at the price, you maybe inclined to do it."

I just have to say: If l lived 2 hour's drive south and in the U.S., I would have bought 133 kindle books instead of kobo. But I like kobo, and I recommend it. Sorry that I didn't fully answer your questions, but I hope this was enough to make you not buy a kindle or a nook. I just can't believe that they're ignoring the 34 million potential customers up north!
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
fordman
fordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Wifi, PW2
I tried out a Kindle Paperwhite a while back. I am also from Canada. I bought a book off amazon.com as my account can be used (same user name) at both .ca and .com. I got the book and paid the US price no problem. BUT I do recall that they seemed to try and get me to switch over to .ca which I am assuming would have locked me into buying my ebooks on amazon.ca after that. I am guessing that if you stuck with US amazon that you may not have a problem getting what you want but magazines could be different.
Also I don't think these tablets support flash. My wife has last years Arc and loves it.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
5. No, for the Kindle. It cannot host anything through the micro USB port. The port is only for connecting to the pc.

You can move files back and forth using USB.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
-----

Last edited by icedtea; 01-02-2014 at 12:39 AM.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.grewal View Post
For the kindle:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ndle-fire-hd-7
If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, then I'll just copy and paste the important part here:

"I also really like the ability to load in all of my own content, which many tablets like the Nook and iPad don’t allow you to do.
This is unmitigated rubbish - you can sideload to your heart's content on an iPad.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Using Nook in Canada:
Just register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid US address will do, just Google something. The credit card address is not checked, so your Canadian credit card will work fine.
This way you will have access to all B&N content (ebooks/emagazines/apps).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This is unmitigated rubbish - you can sideload to your heart's content on an iPad.
What I was trying to say is that, in order to use kindle and nook, you have to jump through hoops and it's easier to use a kobo or a nexus device which is easier. that was written a while ago and now that the nook has play store access, I think that it might be better.

I agree with you: that website does often have "rubbish" (I think my British great grandmother says that), although I believe that sideloading is easier on android due to how you can download apps off the internet and android file transfer. however, I know that sideloading is possible on ipads.
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Using Nook in Canada:
Just register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid US address will do, just Google something. The credit card address is not checked, so your Canadian credit card will work fine.
This way you will have access to all B&N content (ebooks/emagazines/apps).
The system may not check the address but all credit card numbers are in and of themselves, indicative of what country someone is located in. The system knows by the credit card number.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What is so hard about sideloading to a Kindle? You just connect to a pc via USB, then drag and drop the files into the documents folder of the Kindle. Eject the Kindle and you're done. Not very hard at all. How much easier could it be?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote