Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #691
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
I'm also happy with the official sleepcover, except for the magnet that keeps it closed. I would have preferred a larger one, this one sometimes opens by itself in my bag. A larger magnet would have been a bit heavier but would have prevented this from happening.
Doesn't need a larger one, just a stronger one
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #692
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The problem with the espresso case is that it doesn't actually match the espresso reader. While the slick brown back cover is the same shade as the Espresso Aura HD, the front is black leather, which means you've still got black against brown, which I and many others consider to be a sartorial mismatch.

Additionally, I find the official reader to be flimsier as well as thinner than many alternatives. Official covers for Sony Readers seem never to have that issue; why do Kobo's?
Now I feel better about not waiting for the brown Aura HD cover! I thought that the whole cover matched the Aura HD, not just the back. I did pay only $25 for my cover though (Chapters online store), if I had paid $50 for the cover I probably wouldn't be as happy with it, but I feel like it is a solid cover for the price that I paid. I did find the Sony covers that I owned to be much better (T1 lighted cover, 350 lighted cover and 505 stock cover), and I far preferred my Sony readers overall to any other that I have handled, actually, but the HD screen and front light of the Aura HD was too much to pass up, and I love the freedom that I have in adjusting my fonts, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #693
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Now I feel better about not waiting for the brown Aura HD cover! I thought that the whole cover matched the Aura HD, not just the back.
I thought the same thing and so, I'd wager, did most Kobo customers. It doesn't seem wise to charge a premium and then disappoint if you're a company in need of loyal customers as opposed to, say, a traveling con man in need of gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I did pay only $25 for my cover though (Chapters online store), if I had paid $50 for the cover I probably wouldn't be as happy with it, but I feel like it is a solid cover for the price that I paid. I did find the Sony covers that I owned to be much better (T1 lighted cover, 350 lighted cover and 505 stock cover), and I far preferred my Sony readers overall to any other that I have handled, actually, but the HD screen and front light of the Aura HD was too much to pass up, and I love the freedom that I have in adjusting my fonts, too.
$25 is a far more acceptable price for that cover than $50 -- which is $5.00 more than the cost of a Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light.

I agree with you about the Aura HD itself. The firmware's a tad buggy, but the screen's gorgeous, the size is just expansive enough, and I find the user experience to be more stylish and less invasive than that of stock Nooks and Kindles.

Pity about Sony, though.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #694
JCM
JCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura HD
Hi there!

Greetings to everyone. I'm new in this Forum.

I'm looking into the dictionary software of the Kobo Aura HD whose screen I'm so inclined to. I can't find any consistent comment on the topic. So I'd like to ask you to comment on your experiences.

I need a good dictionary. I know that in English versions the preinstalled dictionary is the Merrian-Webster. I intend this eReader to be my tool when reading foreign languages. My questions are:

Can I install more than one dictionary?
Should I switch the system language to get monolingual definitions?
How many dictionaries can I install?
Does it have any Word builder tool?
Can I install other reading app's such as kindle as one does on an Android smartphone?

Thanks in advance.
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif

JCM
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #695
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
I'm looking into the dictionary software of the Kobo Aura HD whose screen I'm so inclined to. I can't find any consistent comment on the topic. So I'd like to ask you to comment on your experiences.

I need a good dictionary. I know that in English versions the preinstalled dictionary is the Merrian-Webster. I intend this eReader to be my tool when reading foreign languages. My questions are:

Can I install more than one dictionary?
There is a list of available dictionaries on the device. You can install all or none.
Quote:
Should I switch the system language to get monolingual definitions?
The dictionary used depends on the book being read. The book should have a language set and the dictionary should be the appropriate one for that language. You can select other dictionaries and search most of them.
Quote:
How many dictionaries can I install?
There are 8 single language and 11 translation dictionaries. All of the translation dictionaries are to or from English.
Quote:
Does it have any Word builder tool?
I'm not sure what this is but I think the answer is no.
Quote:
Can I install other reading app's such as kindle as one does on an Android smartphone?
It is not an Android device, so no. There are some alternative reader applications being developed that can be installed.

There are ways to install and use other dictionaries. This mainly replaces the supplied dictionaries but you can add other translation dictionaries. There is discussion on this here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #696
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi there!

Greetings to everyone. I'm new in this Forum.

Welcome to Mobile Read, JCM!

This doesn't answer your specific question, but it's relevant to your interest in Kobo dictionaries:

Only the newest firmware allows searches for definitions within definitions and that update hasn't been pushed out to the Aura HD.

If, for example, you're looking up the word Gascon and the word rodomontade is used within the definition, you can't look up rodomontade unless you install the latest Kobo FW update, which entails risks.

If you do buy an Aura HD, are accustomed to greater flexibility and are willing to take the risk, then have a look at this post.

Search the post for "Late October 2013 Release - 2.10.0 - Trick or Treat release" and you'll find the update under "Mark 4 Hardware: Aura HD/Glo (N905C Model)".

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-14-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #697
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
dictionaries

A mishandling of Kobos is that even though the only translation dictionaries are to and from English, if you have declared your language to be another one (French in my case), it looks for the wrong dictionary, which means more manipulations to get there. Since the translation dictionaries are poor (Sony's are much better), the monolingual (which are middling) are better anyway (also directly accessible), but it is ridiculous.

On the other hand, Kobos do fetch the right language monolingual dictionary, contrary to Sonys (at least the PRS-T1 and T2 which I've had), where everytime you switch between books, you have to modify the dictionary parameter. And up to T3 there was no other monolingual dictionary than English.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-14-2013 at 02:55 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #698
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Since the translation dictionaries are poor (Sony's are much better)
I agree that Sony's dictionaries are much better. Even if you stick with non-translation dictionaries, Sony offers you the choice between British and American English dictionaries, both from Oxford.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to purchase and install better dictionaries into Kobo's direct e-book interface, as one can with Kindles already. A nice touch, and potentially a profitable one for Kobo.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-14-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #699
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
A mishandling of Kobos is that even though the only translation dictionaries are to and from English, if you have declared your language to be another one (French in my case), it looks for the wrong dictionary, which means more manipulations to get there.
The default language used by the dictionary is the one set in the book. In order to have the right dictionary when looking up a word, you can change the language in Calibre.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #700
tien
tien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Yesterday I got my Aura HD and it's absolutely fantastic. I love the interface, the light, the screen, the feel of the thing (the back)... everything. I like it way more than PW2 (my friend has it), and I find everything to be better (the only thing I miss is the Vocab Builder).

Now I have a question. I've noticed that every couple of pages, the number of the next page kind of ghosts itself on a word and it stays on that same word no matter the refreshes, margin/font adjustments, on/off... Did any else notice anything like that? The number is not in the original e-book either. Thanks!
tien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #701
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tien View Post
Now I have a question. I've noticed that every couple of pages, the number of the next page kind of ghosts itself on a word and it stays on that same word no matter the refreshes, margin/font adjustments, on/off... Did any else notice anything like that? The number is not in the original e-book either. Thanks!
I think what you are seeing is the "Adobe page number", you can turn it off by going to the Reading settings page and unticking the "Show page numbers in margins" box.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #702
tien
tien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to beholdtien is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Ah, that did the trick! Thank you so much!
tien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #703
JCM
JCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to beholdJCM is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo aura HD
Hi again!

Thanks everyone for the comments related to your experience on dictionaries, esp to davidfor and prestidigitweeze. For word builder I meant Vocabulary Builder, though, as I've read above there is not such thing in its software so far. Let's hope Kobo develoopers read these forums and get how important something like it is for a reader of my kind... for the next update.

Now, about installing and using other dictionaries. Theres a comment you make about replacing the supplied dictionaries and adding other translation dictionaries, but the discussion thread you mention is not linked. Can you restate your link?

Thanks a lot. It's not that I've not made my mind up. I'm only waiting for the only retailer in Spain selling them, library "La Central" to be ready to send them to the Canary Islands.

Thanks a lot for your help.

See you in The Canary Islands, Spain!
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #704
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hi again!

Thanks everyone for the comments related to your experience on dictionaries, esp to davidfor and prestidigitweeze. For word builder I meant Vocabulary Builder, though, as I've read above there is not such thing in its software so far. Let's hope Kobo develoopers read these forums and get how important something like it is for a reader of my kind... for the next update.
I had to look up what you meant by a "Vocabulary Builder". I doubt it is something Kobo would add to the e-ink readers. I don't see it as something that fits with the purpose they seem to have for the devices. Plus, I would much prefer for them to concentrate on the bugs in the current software.
Quote:
Now, about installing and using other dictionaries. Theres a comment you make about replacing the supplied dictionaries and adding other translation dictionaries, but the discussion thread you mention is not linked. Can you restate your link?
I had to look back at my post. There isn't a link missing. By "There is discussion on this here" I simply meant here in this forum. A search will find them. But, two to look at are https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196925 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194986. There is another thread that I can't quickly find about adding translation dictionaries for other languages. It was started by tshering.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #705
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Ordered an Aura HD on 2 November. Received an email saying they'd get back to me with a tracking number.

Then nothing.

More nothing. Then more nothing.

I sent them an email asking what was happening. Several days later:

Oh, we cancelled your order.

Wunderbar! Thanks Kobo!
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote