Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
[Archived] Marvin ePub reader for iPad

Saw this on MacRumors and thought I'd share here. This is currently free, but will soon be $2.99 according to the developer. I really like what I've seen so far. Has so many customization options, color choices are great, can set the margins all the way to the edge, can double space, triple space, or really squeeze text closely together, and it has Dropbox integration.

Also has this feature where you can look stuff up on Wikipedia, Google, and then pin those links and save them for later. It can also summarize stuff, but that doesn't really work that well. Pulls out names and places and shows you their instances too.

Pretty good for a 1.0 indie app anyway.

http://marvinapp.com
Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Saw this on MacRumors and thought I'd share here. This is currently free, but will soon be $2.99 according to the developer. I really like what I've seen so far. Has so many customization options, color choices are great, can set the margins all the way to the edge, can double space, triple space, or really squeeze text closely together, and it has Dropbox integration.

Also has this feature where you can look stuff up on Wikipedia, Google, and then pin those links and save them for later. It can also summarize stuff, but that doesn't really work that well. Pulls out names and places and shows you their instances too.

Pretty good for a 1.0 indie app anyway.

http://marvinapp.com
Thank, I'll check it out. Does it have dictionary look up? A lot of the iPad reading apps leave that out for some reason.

EDIT: It does have dictionary look up. But no two column landscape mode, which on a tablet is a deal breaker for me. Otherwise it does have some really good features and formatting capability.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-05-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if this is the app referenced by @kguil in this thread? The mods kind of shut him down before I could even see what his app was named. They told him to post it in the gawd awful Wiki where it is nearly impossible to find anything.

EDIT: I indeed found a link to this app in the Wiki, but only because I went searching for it.
Hey @kguil if this is your app can you add two column landscape mode to the app? Single column is fine for a small screen like the iPhone, but on the mini and fullsize iPads you really need two columns in landscape.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The customization for screen background and text is great, but the killer feature is Dropbox integration for those of us already using Dropbox with calibre. Nifty app.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@jswinden: Yes it's me.

I'm keeping a roadmap of upcoming features on Marvin's website (e.g. Calibre Server and more). I'll make sure to add a 2-column layout to the list.

There is a new update planned for launch next week but the Apple review team go on shutdown for Christmas so I think it's unlikely I'll have 2-column layout ready before then.

@Synamon: if you enjoy Dropbox support, you'll be glad to know that today's update added a new search feature and the next one has even more Dropbox improvements.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy using Marvin and please get in touch if there any features you'd like to see added.

Kris
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I really like this app so far. As a feature request, I'd like to see OPDS catalog support.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Well, it was kguil's lucky day then! Glad you're working on improvements!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Another feature request. I'd like to be able to adjust the spacing between paragraphs.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@edbro: I'm really happy you like it. OPDS and Calibre Server support are coming very soon. I'm expecting it to be available early January (due to the Apple review team shutdown, I cannot issue any updates from mid-December onwards and I already have a new release ready for next week).

@Jessica: Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@jswinden: Yes it's me.

I'm keeping a roadmap of upcoming features on Marvin's website (e.g. Calibre Server and more). I'll make sure to add a 2-column layout to the list.

There is a new update planned for launch next week but the Apple review team go on shutdown for Christmas so I think it's unlikely I'll have 2-column layout ready before then.

@Synamon: if you enjoy Dropbox support, you'll be glad to know that today's update added a new search feature and the next one has even more Dropbox improvements.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy using Marvin and please get in touch if there any features you'd like to see added.

Kris
Thanks!

EDIT: Also could you add support for embedded fonts?

Last edited by jswinden; 12-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
kguil
Addict

Sure. Just added it to the todo list
Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Just downloaded, can't wait to play
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
kguil
Addict

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wonder if this is the app referenced by @kguil in this thread? The mods kind of shut him down before I could even see what his app was named. They told him to post it in the gawd awful Wiki where it is nearly impossible to find anything.

EDIT: I indeed found a link to this app in the Wiki, but only because I went searching for it.
Hey @kguil if this is your app can you add two column landscape mode to the app? Single column is fine for a small screen like the iPhone, but on the mini and fullsize iPads you really need two columns in landscape.
How can we make the wiki better? What makes it so awful for you?

Dale
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How can we make the wiki better? What makes it so awful for you?

Dale
Let me see, pages and pages of lists with no indication of when the entries were added or updated or even if they are still valid. It is like a bibliography without any annotations compared to an annotated bibliography. Even just a short one line annotation per entry and a date would help considerably.

Closed Thread