Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies will be adapted into a movie

No, I'm not joking, and no, I'm not on drugs.

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies is a real book. It's a mashup of Jane Austen's classic Pride & Prejudice with the addition of some elements of modern zombie fiction. The book itself is a rather odd read, especially if you're familiar with the original.

The movie is now confirmed, and Natalie Portman is reported to be starring in it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I *really* don't understand the fascination so many people have with zombies. My roommate has watched every zombie movie on netflix - and there are a lot, and they're mostly garbage.

What is the fascination, people?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
A movie? Really?
The book is on my to-read list, but I thought I had better reread the original first (it's been many many years since I first read it) to better appreciate it, and I keep putting it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I *really* don't understand the fascination so many people have with zombies. My roommate has watched every zombie movie on netflix - and there are a lot, and they're mostly garbage.

Nikkie, how dare you talk like that about zombies?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
It's like... undead people. It's like umm... cool and stuff!

Seriously though. I really don't find some guy running around in a hockey mask slaughtering teenagers scary, just stupid.

But Zombies spark some kind of fear deep down, at least in me. Werewolves, vampires and stuff like that is just fantasy. But a "zombification", could happen. Not as in people dying and coming back to life, but some kind of viralinfection that causes people to become brainless automatons concentrating on one thing only, and that beeing feeding on whatever is available.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I read Pride and Prejudice.
I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
I didn't feel that adding flesh-eating living corpses and turning Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy into martial arts masters was an improvement on Jane Austin's story, but a movie version could be fun.

(See my post at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=76.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Actually there are some really good zombie movies out there (Night of the living dead comes to mind), and a lot of good zombie satires. If you look past the gore (which many people find satisfying in some basic level (or funny)- I find it releases a lot of pent-up tension in me), there is some quite deep social commentary in them, and a quite good character development (the survivors, not the zombies).
In my country (Greece) the first zombie movie was produced a few years back (it now has a sequel) and I was re-watching it yesterday with some friends. I found it was such a realistic portrayal of the country (ok, you have to look carefully behind the gore and the humour and the exaggerations) that I thought that a "eurovision" of zombie movies from around the world would be a really interesting idea. Maybe the ministry of tourism would be interested in my proposal?
Oh, and I would really love to play the zombie for such a movie! If one of you is planning on producing one, please keep me in mind!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:

It's the funniest monster in all of horror land I suppose. A shambling, brain-dead, non-threat, kind of like a Dan Brown reader on paperback release day (sorry Shel, I couldn't help myself)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
That's why we need DRM! - - - To protect us from movies like that.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

sing it sistuh! I don't get it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It's the funniest monster in all of horror land I suppose. A shambling, brain-dead, non-threat, kind of like a Dan Brown reader on paperback release day (sorry Shel, I couldn't help myself)
I guess I like good horror. the zombie junk, chuckie.... all of that are just icky
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Actually there are some really good zombie movies out there (Night of the living dead comes to mind), and a lot of good zombie satires.
Shaun of The Dead
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
omk3
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Shaun of The Dead
YES!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Shaun of The Dead
BEST...ZOMBIEFLICK...EVAR!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #13
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Shaun of The Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
YES!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
BEST...ZOMBIEFLICK...EVAR!
Oh yeah, I can't do anything else but agree strongly with you !
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
And I just saw on the news that Natalie Portman may be involved in the epic remake of PP&Z....

It's a slow news night in sunny south florida. Guess the murder and mayhem is dying down for the next week or two....christmas miracles and all that.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I can't stand Jane Austin...I'll be sure to avoid this film.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote