Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
hmemcpy
hmemcpy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Downgrading K2 firmware

Hello everyone.

I'd like to know if the downgrade process is possible, and is as simple as placing an older firmware and resetting the Kindle. I updated my firmware to 2.0.3 and it disabled USB networking, so I'd like to restore it back to 2.0.2.

Thanks.
hmemcpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmemcpy View Post
Hello everyone.

I'd like to know if the downgrade process is possible, and is as simple as placing an older firmware and resetting the Kindle. I updated my firmware to 2.0.3 and it disabled USB networking, so I'd like to restore it back to 2.0.2.

Thanks.
My suggestion is to give Amazon CS a call and see what they have to say. Also try your K2 on a different computer just to see if it's something with your computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
hmemcpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My suggestion is to give Amazon CS a call and see what they have to say. Also try your K2 on a different computer just to see if it's something with your computer.
Thanks, but the problem is with the *ahem* unsupported USB networking mode, not the regular file transfer mode. The later works just fine. I doubt CS will help me turning a debug feature on

But since jesse confirmed that it's off in 2.0.3, that's why I'd like to upgrade. I'm outside the Whispernet range, and USB network seems the only way of getting the Kindle online.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thumbs down

You could try using a hex editor on a 2.02 bin file and see if you can't find the version string and change it to 2.04 (or you could try 2.031) and see if it's just a simple version check not allowing you to downgrade. Note: Do this at your own risk. (I'd try this myself but I haven't a reason to... yet.)

Last edited by demoric; 05-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
hmemcpy

From what I can tell, it might not be as easy as just changing the version number. I spent very little time on this, but I took a look inside the .bin files using igorsk's tools. From what I can tell those contain binary patch files that change certain bytes in already present files, they do not contain the whole new file versions. Therefore, I don't think that re-patching will work, since the diff process that verifies the file to be patched will fail.

The only way, in my opinion, to do this is somehow restore the original Kindle firmware. Hopefully it's somewhere on a readonly partition in the Kindle OS. Unfortunately, I myself cannot check it.
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think Amazon made this change to try to stop Kindles from leaving the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Umm, wouldn't a simple Menu | Settings | Menu | Reset to Factory Defaults take you back to 2.0.0?
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
Umm, wouldn't a simple Menu | Settings | Menu | Reset to Factory Defaults take you back to 2.0.0?
Unfortunately, no. That won't even remove any hacks. Resetting to Factory Defaults does only three things: 1) De-registers the device, and 2) Wipes all content and settings from memory, 3) Restarts with the display of the Welcome file.

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote