Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Anywhere to get Faulkner?

Faulkner is an author I've always wanted to read, but I couldn't find any of his books in Sony's store, and looking in a few places on the internet, couldn't find anything anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
None of William Faulkner's novels are available as ebooks AFAIK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Nor are Flannery O'Connor - I have looked into the darknet but it's a woosh over my head. I think it's sad that these classics aren't available digitally. I just can't keep track of paperback books.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Not much, but see this:

http://www.ebooks-library.com/author.cfm/AuthorID/903
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
To be perfectly honest, his books are available if you know the right sites but not legally.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
Nor are Flannery O'Connor - I have looked into the darknet but it's a woosh over my head. I think it's sad that these classics aren't available digitally. I just can't keep track of paperback books.
I have to admit that, until you posted this and I looked it on on Wikipedia, I'd never heard of "Flannery O'Connor". Is she well-known in the US?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to admit that, until you posted this and I looked it on on Wikipedia, I'd never heard of "Flannery O'Connor". Is she well-known in the US?
One of her book is online for free - read a chapter at a time (audio):

http://www.catholicradiointernationa...vertocover.php

It's one of her short story books.

I don't know how widely know she is - I had heard of her in regards to this genre of Southern writers - more so now that I live in the south.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
sunflower42479
sunflower42479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I would think that she is quite well known - but this is comming from a Lit Major who specifically took a Southern Lit course in college - so I might be a little out of touch with the rest of the reading world in the US.

sunflower42479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
audible.com
I absolutely hated The Sound and the Fury and couldn't finish it.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
sunflower42479
sunflower42479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
audible.com
I absolutely hated The Sound and the Fury and couldn't finish it.

Yes I agree - I barely made it through Absolom, Absolom! But that's me - if you like Faulkner more power to you!

ETA - This was only read for a course. I would not have made it through if I didn't have quizzes on the chapters we were to cover every class

Last edited by sunflower42479; 03-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
sunflower42479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Check out "A good man is hard to find" by o'connor. You wont be dissapointed. Its a short read, ya could read it at your local barnes and noble in 15 mins or so.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Check out "A good man is hard to find" by o'connor. You wont be dissapointed. Its a short read, ya could read it at your local barnes and noble in 15 mins or so.
Unfortunately my nearest Barnes and Noble is about 3000 miles away .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
LOL any bookstore or your library lol. You crack me up Harry.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

She's considered a very important writer, especially of Southern Gothic.

She's a critically acclaimed writer, with quite a number of dissertations on her work.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
Faulkner is an author I've always wanted to read, but I couldn't find any of his books in Sony's store, and looking in a few places on the internet, couldn't find anything anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I, too, am a huge fan of William Faulkner's work, having read almost everything he's written. The Snopes Trilogy is an important work, as are a number of other works by him.

And, for those members here who are not aware of it, he's the recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote