Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Post Ebook news roundup

Things are happening in (romance) ebook land. Here's a quick-and-dirty roundup:

Harlequin Enterprises, global romance publisher, announced the launch
of their Enriched Edition eBooks. Harlequin now offers ebooks that are "enriched" with interactive buttons that hyperlink to websites with more information about the content. Press release here.

Also on the romance front: All Romance eBooks, an online romance ebook seller, is sponsoring a weekly radio program called 'What's Hot in Romance' on Passionate Internet Voices Talk Radio. Listeners who tune in live or via podcast will hear in-depth interviews and be treated to new release excerpts read by romance authors. Press release here.

And on theBookseller.com, an item about WHS titled "WHS still cautious over e-books". Basically, W H Smith does not expect the ebook market to really take off until either the price of readers falls below GBP 100 (USD 189.9) or books become available on mobile handsets. BTW, this was posted before the iPhone 3G launch. More here.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Basically, W H Smith does not expect the ebook market to really take off until either the price of readers falls below GBP 100 (USD 189.9) or books become available on mobile handsets. BTW, this was posted before the iPhone 3G launch.
Why does everyone seem to be under the impression that reading books on the iPhone is something radically new, I wonder? Books have been "available on Mobile handsets" for years with the various versions of the MobiPocket Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why does everyone seem to be under the impression that reading books on the iPhone is something radically new, I wonder? Books have been "available on Mobile handsets" for years with the various versions of the MobiPocket Reader.
I think the fact that it is available on such a popular device that can possibly attract a new audience of current non-readers is what is so radical. Reading ebooks on the millions sold razer, not gonna happen, but if there are 10 million iPhones out there by years end...

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-15-2008 at 06:01 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Reading ebooks on the millions sold razer, not gonna happen, but if there are 1 million iPhones out there by years end...
BOb
Already there mate: http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/460175
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the fact that it is available on such a popular device that can possibly attract a new audience of current non-readers is what is so radical. Reading ebooks on the millions sold razer, not gonna happen, but if there are 1 million iPhones out there by years end...

BOb
You do realize that they sold 1 million of the new phones in 3 days and that the original phone adds probably close to 2 million more after it is upgraded to 2.0. The iPod Touch is also popular.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
When I downloaded it "eReader" was the #20 most popular free application so a lot of people must be considering using the iPhone/iTouch for reading.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You do realize that they sold 1 million of the new phones in 3 days and that the original phone adds probably close to 2 million more after it is upgraded to 2.0. The iPod Touch is also popular.

Dale
Yes, I read that.... so I will update my message to say 10 million. !!!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I wonder how many who try reading on an iPhone or similar sub-par reading device come away from the experience with the feeling that ebooks will never work?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
I wonder how many who try reading on an iPhone or similar sub-par reading device come away from the experience with the feeling that ebooks will never work?
Of dedicated readers, fewer than you think. I used to read on a PDA. I didn't find it sub-par, nor did I come away with the feeling that ebooks will never work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I imagine that could happen, but I am rereading a book I bought years ago for my Palm 72S on my iPod Touch, and I am enjoying the experience.

While it is no replacement for the Kindle or the Sony Reader, I do not find it subpar, and definitely better than reading on my Palm, which was the platform that started me on my ereading journey.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

I wouldn't think it would apply to those who frequent this forum. I'm thinking more of the average Joe or Betty casual reader who might be turned off to the ebook idea by the experience. What sparked the thought was the large number possibly exposed to ebooks for the first time on say an iPod or cell phone vs. the much smaller number who would be exposed to them on an eInk reader. For example my prior experience with ebooks is on computer screens and there is no way I found that acceptable. I also dislike iPhones for web browsing due to the tiny screen but I've never tried reading on one. When I saw the Sony in a Borders for the first time though I thought this ebook idea just might work.

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 07-15-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Of dedicated readers, fewer than you think. I used to read on a PDA. I didn't find it sub-par, nor did I come away with the feeling that ebooks will never work.
Same here. Read many, many books on my 480x320 Clie -- and still use it instead of my Cybook occasionally.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I suspect that changing the number doesn't make your statement any more or less true. I think there will be an impact of eBook users on the iPhone. Perhaps even here at MobileRead. Which format they choose to use will be interesting.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Maybe those people won't particularly enjoy reading e-books on an iPhone... but they may still come away from the experience with a newfound appreciation of the advantages of e-books in general, and simply seek out better readers (like PDAs, Kindles, Iliads, laptop apps, etc). I suspect there are plenty of readers who discovered e-books, then decided that they could improve on the experience through upgrading to better devices.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
TheJohnNewton
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Maybe those people won't particularly enjoy reading e-books on an iPhone... but they may still come away from the experience with a newfound appreciation of the advantages of e-books in general, and simply seek out better readers...
That could be. After all I did like the idea of ebooks after trying one from the library on my computer. I simply forgot about them for the most part until I saw the Sony which re-kindled (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) my interest.