Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #16
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I have to agree with Paul. I would have much rather seen NAEB choose the standard/basic package and price it at $300. At $300, I would have gladly recommended it to the readers at DA. At $375 for headphones, a charger, a case, and an SD card doesn't really seem like a bargain, even though the Cybook can read more formats (html being the biggie for me).

Sony comes with a case. I doubt that there is a person out there that doesn't have headphones and a 2 GB branded SD card can be had for less than $30.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 505 and Gen3 are both using the 6" Vizplex screen. The only difference is in the controller used. Teh 505 can display 8 shades while the Gen3 can only display 4 shades.
You forget the software on the devices. Bookeen has already done a couple things I like. If I wasn't already invested in the 500, I would get a Gen3.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You forget the software on the devices. Bookeen has already done a couple things I like.
For example?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Being able to add your own fonts is very nice indeed; so is the user-replaceable battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I have to agree with Paul. I would have much rather seen NAEB choose the standard/basic package and price it at $300. At $300, I would have gladly recommended it to the readers at DA. At $375 for headphones, a charger, a case, and an SD card doesn't really seem like a bargain, even though the Cybook can read more formats (html being the biggie for me).

Sony comes with a case. I doubt that there is a person out there that doesn't have headphones and a 2 GB branded SD card can be had for less than $30.
I wouldn't moan about the price too much. Compared with the price that we in Europe are paying (in the UK's case, about US$509 for the bare reader) you're getting a damned good deal .
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Being able to add your own fonts is very nice indeed; so is the user-replaceable battery.
Those are nice. I also like the pop-up menus and the ability to see more than ten titles at a time.

I bet that Bookeen will soon add a real author name index, as well as folders. They seem more responsive than Sony wrt upgrade and improvements.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Identical screen, but different controller. The 505 can display 8 grey-scales, the Gen3 only 4. Probably completely irrevelent in normal use except, perhaps, if you're a "mango" fan (is that the right word?).
Since the Gen3 really displays 16 shades of gray based on Derek's tests and examples I would say that mango fans would be pleased. It is what you see that is important in this case, not what the hardware does.

Perhaps someone can post real world images to put this to bed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #23
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba View Post
Very disappointed in the price. To pay extra for a bunch of dime-store stuff (cables, earphones, etc.) is a real shame. I would rather that they bought the basic version and then priced it competitively with the Sony Reader. No sale for me.
If we *could*, we would. To sell the Basic for $300 would mean *WE*, NAEB would be selling it for a significant (That means at least $40, possibly more.) loss! I love you guys, but I'm not about to *PAY* for you to get an unbelievable deal on the Cybook Gen3 basic kit.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post

Jane,

Look, I'm sorry you feel that way. But to be completely up front, if we were to market the Basic version for $300 or less, we'd be *paying* about $40-$45 (it depends on a few costs we haven't nailed down yet) more for each unit sold *more* than we charged. I love you all, but I'm not about to pay out of my own pocket for you to own a Cybook. And given that our $375 price is far less than the $450 of the regular Deluxe Cybook Gen3, I think it's a pretty good deal for this device. Plus, we actually break even on the deal.

One thing to consider is that there are plenty of 2GB SD cards available on eBay for far less than the $24.95 retail price if the customer really needs one. (Although, I've found I can stick about 1,000 titles on a 1GB card. Which makes for LOOOOooooonnngggg browsing times when finding some titles.)

And if you've looked at the Bookeen accessories page, you'll notice the 800mAH battery pack runs $44.95 retail. Given few battery packs show problems, the extra battery pack is not a 'needed' item. We pass the savings on to you!

Please reconsider your viewpoint.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without the deluxe edition, do you get a case of any kind?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Without the deluxe edition, do you get a case of any kind?
You don't get a case with the basic Gen3, but you can buy one as a separate accessory from Bookeen. It's an excellent case - far better than the Sony one.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can't say.. I've not seen the Sony leather case for the 505. But thr case that comes with the 505 is pretty good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #28
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why would you lose $?

I'm not sure why you would lose money on a basic-only deal. You are obviously getting a bulk discount on buying most of the deluxe kit, so it would seem possible to negotiate a bulk discount on buying just the unit itself. The logic escapes me as why that would lose money. That said, thanks for the effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
if we were to market the Basic version for $300 or less, we'd be *paying* about $40-$45 (it depends on a few costs we haven't nailed down yet) more for each unit sold *more* than we charged. I love you all, but I'm not about to pay out of my own pocket for you to own a Cybook. And given that our $375 price is far less than the $450 of the regular Deluxe Cybook Gen3, I think it's a pretty good deal for this device. Plus, we actually break even on the deal.
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #29
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If we *could*, we would. To sell the Basic for $300 would mean *WE*, NAEB would be selling it for a significant (That means at least $40, possibly more.) loss! I love you guys, but I'm not about to *PAY* for you to get an unbelievable deal on the Cybook Gen3 basic kit.

Derek
Come on Christmas is coming. If you really loved us you'd give us all one for free.

It's an understandable mis perception that if you can sell the Deluxe edition for $75 cheaper you could sell the basic for $50 cheaper. I understand that part of that $75 is no spare battery and sourcing a cheaper 1GB SD card.

I think you've made a good choice for a real user configuration rather then selling at an artificial low price and then have people find out it doesn't have a case. (I wouldn't want to use mine without one). Unless you're planning on using it for MP3's then the 1GB is more then you'll need for books and future firmware upgrades. Bookeen claims 10,000 books on the 2GB so 5,000 is plenty. Even if you think you need to take more books with you browsing and search speeds just aren't fast enough to handle it.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #30
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Come on Christmas is coming. If you really loved us you'd give us all one for free.
Ohohoh and while you're at it, can I have a pony, too? Personally I think this is a great price and I'm ready to plunk down the cash. I just hope it gets into my hot little hands in time for Christmas travel.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote