Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
acidfast7
acidfast7 began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Activation outside of the US

Hello all,

I recently bought a Nook Simple Touch when I was in LA last weekend. I brought it back without activating it and now I'd like to activate it.

What are my options?

Some extra info:
1. I have a US-based credit card with US street address.
2. I can set up my MacBook to use VPN to work through a US IP address (any free suggestions for VPN service?)
3. I have an Apple Time Capsule (cannot work as a VPN server).

Can I set up a B&N.com account from a US IP address and then activate via USB connection to the MacBook (i.e. without using the nook's wi-fi?)

acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
acidfast7
acidfast7 began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Well. All I needed was a US-based street address and the activation went fine! No VPN was required. We manually loaded a few books from our old defective Sony PRS-505 and they loaded right up!

Maybe we'll root it later.

acidfast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Well. All I needed was a US-based street address and the activation went fine! No VPN was required. We manually loaded a few books from our old defective Sony PRS-505 and they loaded right up!

Same here.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Ditto on here.

No #2 nor #3. Actually I had a 2 years old account, just bought a book *before* registering NST and the registration was smooth.
As soon as i registered, it synced and voila, my e-book was there...
A few days after I got the FW 1.1 update automactilly, no pain...

Last edited by jglerner; 01-23-2012 at 06:03 AM.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
I got my touch today, I had made an B&N account a few days ago, I bought mine from overstock.com shipped to the UK.

My invoice actually had a US shipping address with my name on it, some US airport so i used that for my US addresses, I then used my UK registered Visa debit card and it all worked fine, I have only tried the free books so far, but i get emailed an invoice every time a buy one for 0$ , hopefully the paid will work also.

Just waiting for the firmware update, how long does it take to download?

John.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
To activate/register the reader device all you need is an e-mail address. Absolutely nothing else! I'm not even sure it needs to be real.
If you want to use your BN account to buy books, well that's a different story. With a US credit card that shouldn't be any problems though.
The device will work either way! (And firmware updates can be done through computer if you don't want to wait for them online.)

Last edited by Asawi; 01-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
@Tinderbox

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...uch/379003175/
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
Thanks for the link jglerner, though i did the update manually the other day.

John.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote