Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
There are two problems here.
First is the equating a screen full of text as a page - it may be, e.g. DX, or most probably isn't on a smaller screen size.
Second, if there are no consistent page numbers how can you go to page 'x' as referred to in the index in manuals etc.

All the manuals I use are divided into pages but I have to take pot luck in finding a particular reference which is damned annoying to say the least especially when I handed over a large amount of money just to get the screen size of the DX.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Second, if there are no consistent page numbers how can you go to page 'x' as referred to in the index in manuals etc.
You'd use hyperlinks for that. Page numbers for internal cross-references within a book are totally redundant in an eBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krad View Post
Id like to atleast see how many pages I have until the next chapter. example of the display would be like P.144/185. Meaning I have 41 pages to go until the next chapter.

The reason would be if I have to stop reading to do something else, I can atleast stop at the beginning of a new chapter instead of laying the K3 down in the middle of one.

Ive never edited a book for a Kindle, so im not sure if this is possible, I just know the epub books for Stanza had chapter breaks, which let the app know when the next chapter began.
I guess you could estimate how far the next chapter is by checking its location against your current location. If you did not know (although I guess this depends on the book's compilation), you can get to the next chapter by pressing the 5-way thingie to the right. The books moves to the next chapter. Pressing BACK button will move you back to where you were in the book. Either percentage read or location info for those two positions could be compared. Or you could just page ahead to find the next chapter and then use the back button as many times to go back to your prior position (or set a bookmark). They do all involve the mechanical pressing of buttons (as opposed to leafing through real paper in a book to find the chapter end)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm curious... what do you intend to use the page numbers for? As a software engineer we often have to ask the question, "what problem are you trying to solve?" when somebody asks for a specific solution. The answer to that question often leads to a better solution. I suspect that page numbers are often requested because people want what they're used to, but, consider:

1) Page numbers (screen number) on an ebook reader would be relative to font & margin sizes, so they can't be used to refer to a location in the book when talking to somebody else about a location in the book. Your mom's nook color has different fonts, screen size, etc, so if she told you about something on page 72 it'd be of no meaning to you on your Kindle.
2) Percentage complete is just as useful as "page 50 of 782" for letting you know how much is left (once you get used to the change)
3) The kindle location value will take you directly to the exact spot if you need to refer to a specific piece of text in a class or other similar setting.

I'm not really sure how page numbers would help other than comfort for those of us who grew up with paper books.
Yep you do think like a programmer. I tried basic programming in college but I could not wrap my head aropund it. LOL Now, to you questions. Being human I am simply use to page numbers from books and the Kindle 3 I have is my first ereader. I know page numbers so having them gives me a reference that I am familiar with and know. I now understand that a page number reference would not be accurate and therefor would be meaning less. However I "think" I have a solution. The system that is being used by the Kindle is based on math, so the page number count could be the same way. Here is my idea (yes it is in the alpha stage). Now I realize that this would still not be accurate but it would help with the warm fuzzies that we humans need.

Take the original book and get a total page count
once you have that then adjustments can be made by the Kindle to keep the page count relevant no matter the font size
I want to know how many "Kindle page turns per chapter so I know how far I am from the end of a chapter and can gauge a stopping point in my reading

All of this can be done with the current system that the Kindle is using, so I do not have to have page numbers, just better use of their current system would be nice.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #20
PitterPat
PitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-booksPitterPat has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I have read on another site that there is a group called IDPF that sets standards about ebooks. They have or plan to set up a standard for page numbering. From what I understand the publisher would specify the ISBN of the paper book they are using the page numbers from.

Even in paperbooks, the page numbers from one edition to another may not match. The paperback version isn't going to match the hardback version.
PitterPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I will just have to learn how to use and reference the Kindle system so if my wife and I are reading the same book on our K3 then we can "go to" a certain spot, etc. It is not that big a deal and now I know what the system of use is for the Kindle so now I can understand it. I do like the % read being shown so you know how far you are in the book.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #22
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitterPat View Post
I have read on another site that there is a group called IDPF that sets standards about ebooks. They have or plan to set up a standard for page numbering. From what I understand the publisher would specify the ISBN of the paper book they are using the page numbers from.
What if the content and/or arrangement of the electronic version is different in any way from the paper version?
What if the book was never published in paper form?

It seems silly, to me, to try and tie ebooks to print editions. No-one expects or requires a paperback version to match the page numbering of a hard cover version of a book. Why demand that an electronic version must be an exact match with some other format? They're all different.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie
It seems silly, to me, to try and tie ebooks to print editions. No-one expects or requires a paperback version to match the page numbering of a hard cover version of a book. Why demand that an electronic version must be an exact match with some other format? They're all different.
I wish I could insert a really loud angelic trumpet fanfare here, because this makes perfect sense!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #24
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
I find current system "too precise"! While being mathematically correct it is ideal for "nerds" (no negative connotation here - am i one of them) but it is too anal retentive for "normal humans". It is seems that the Kindle paging system was created by software designers and not by good human interaction designers.
On the contrary; my 85 year old mother says the % read is far more helpful to her than page numbers.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #25
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
On the contrary; my 85 year old mother says the % read is far more helpful to her than page numbers.
When I'm reading paper books, I'll get out the calculator from time to time and determine the percentage.

If I'm on page 163 of a 356 page book, I'd rather know that I'm 45.7% done with it.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #26
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
When I'm reading paper books, I'll get out the calculator from time to time and determine the percentage.

If I'm on page 163 of a 356 page book, I'd rather know that I'm 45.7% done with it.
It does take all kinds!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm more of a - "when I keep clicking the 'Next' button and nothing seems to be happening... I must be done with that book" - kind of guy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #28
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:

I've never done that for a paper book, though I do with that the Kindle would give at least one more digit of precision on the % complete... on a long book you can sit at 99% for a LONG time... :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #29
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm more of a - "when I keep clicking the 'Next' button and nothing seems to be happening... I must be done with that book" - kind of guy.
Actually, I was reading a novel in a series and the ending was left very much up in the air (very frustrating as it was an 22732 locations (page) book and the author takes two years to write sequels) and I thought my kindle was screwed because it would not go to the next page. I realised I had finished.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #30
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Quote:

I don't take it quite this far but I do tend to refer to pbooks by percentages instead of page numbers.

If someone asks where I'm at in a book I'll rough estimate it - "About halfway done" or "I've got about a quarter to go". I wouldn't say I'm on page 142, 'cause that's meaningless to the person who asked. It doesn't give a clear picture of how much of the book I've read.

*shrugs*
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote