Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Wow, the new version is soooo much faster!

I have a large library(around 25k books) and Calibre was slowwwwwwwwww. Five minute start up time, 30-45 seconds to right click on a book and get the convert window up. The whole thing would lock up during a convert until it was finished and then some. This new version is awesome, all of that went away and it works fine. I'm even connecting to a NAS for my library, so all of this is over a network. Major props to Kovid for finally solving whatever the issue was.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
This new version is awesome
Yes! I'm so surprised that others haven't made this comment. I guess large libraries aren't that common. Mine is half your size - and I was suffering until this improvement.

Edit: And I better not see any quotes or comments from anyone about my "size"
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I have a large library(around 25k books) ...
Off topic, but I can't resist. Even if you read one of those per day, every day of each year, you'll need 68.5 years to get through your library.

Please don't take this as critical. I think I understand. It's like having the world's library at your fingertips, everything within reach should you get the desire. Something like that?

Me, I only have a few hundred in Calibre. Ebooks I've read in the past few years and those in my TBR queue that I'll get to within the next year. Calibre has always been fast.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I, too, am very pleased with the speed increases! Thank you very much, Kovid!!

@Dellaster: different libraries serve different purposes.

I have several research libraries I store in Calibre each of which contain several thousand ebooks and which are shared by several researchers via content servers (and available where ever we are world-wide). I will never read them all cover-to-cover - that's not their purpose. Think molecular biology laboratory library - thousands of journal articles + thousands of text books/reference books.

It's silly to assume that everyone's ebook collections (libraries) serve the same purpose.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
It's silly to assume that everyone's ebook collections (libraries) serve the same purpose.
I tried not to give that impression ...
Please don't take this as critical. I think I understand. ...
I'm sorry I was not exhaustive in covering every possible good reason to have a large library. My post was simply to point out an amusing (to me) bit of trivia. I hoped to avoid offending, for that was not my intent. It seems I failed.

My apologies.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi

No apologies necessary, Dellaster. I did not take your post in a negative fashion.

You didn't seem to understand and were questioning why others would have large libraries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
I think I understand. It's like having the world's library at your fingertips, everything within reach should you get the desire. Something like that?
I merely provided yet another viewpoint.

Anyways, back on topic. This is a kudos thread for Kovid's recent work!

I really need to send Kovid some love & go donate!

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
Well, my library is more of what you would call a 'catch-all'. I have access to a particular darknet that provides me with a truly astonishing amount of material. I load it all into calibre and then one day when I see a book at B&N, I simply open stanza on my iphone, online catalog and bam, I can see if I already have it or not:P Now if only my stanza app could parse the entire catalog and not just my epub books.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Anyways, back on topic. This is a kudos thread for Kovid's recent work!

I really need to send Kovid some love & go donate!

Troy
I agree, Calibre is top notch!!!...and sent a contribution last week by way of saying way to go, Kovid!!!
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks all. The speed increase was really something rather simple (large speed increases usually are). It was a piece of poorly designed code that I wrote back in the day when I had no idea calibre (and the libraries it manages) would become so large.

And I have to say that credit for the speed increase should go at least partially to a user (elfchief) who opened a ticket and did a bit of analysis on his large library to pinpoint the cause of the slowdown. See

See http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5158
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote