Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
tothepoint
Writer
tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle
CAFE INSOMNIAC..."May you live in interesting times." A blessing or curse?

I decided to write the book I wanted to write * I hope you like it.

[Image exceeds posting guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Quote:
"The trick is not to fear the shadows but to embrace them... Night-time has become a good friend," says Justin.
But for how long?

Twenty-five-year-old insomniac Justin Brooks opens an all-night café. But soon after the opening, one of his customers is murdered.

The fallout from the murder makes his insomnia worse -- much worse. He completely loses the ability to sleep.

Strange things start to happen in Justin's world, things that are hard to explain.

His eyes stream when it rains outside..... Another café appears, out of the fog, out of nowhere..... Footsteps follow him everywhere..... The dead person talks to him, though it's not a ghost..... And a magician waits for him, perched on a high wire, high up in the night sky.....

Strange things indeed. But these strange things can't possibly have anything to do with the murder.

Can they?

Café Insomniac is a highly imaginative, page-turning story from a unique voice -- Amazon bestselling author Mark Capell. Nobody who visits Café Insomniac can ever look at the world in the same way again.

Quote:
"I don't know what's real and what isn't -- and which is most dangerous."
>>> SPECIAL LAUNCH PRICE of 99c or 99p <<<

Available from AMAZON.COM
http://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Insomniac...cafe+insomniac

And AMAZON UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cafe-Insomni...cafe+insomniac

Read prologue and first chapter in browser here...
http://www.mark-capell.com/uploads/1...t_chapter_.pdf

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2014 at 11:34 AM.
tothepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
tothepoint
Writer
tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.

And here's the trailer/extract. I hope it intrigues you

Last edited by tothepoint; 10-03-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
tothepoint
Writer

A REVIEW FROM GOODREADS

Well, this is a strange one. It's a crime novel, it's a romance, it's urban fiction, and it's magical realism. For some reason, even though they have very little in common, I kept thinking of that episode of The Sandman where they're all locked in a diner with The Corinthian.

As a frequent insomniac myself, I know only too well that sense of unreality that comes after lack of sleep, and Mark Capell captures it perfectly. Did that just happen? How did I get here? Can I trust my own thoughts? Am I actually awake or lucid dreaming? Normally I loathe books written in the first person present tense, but in this case it works, giving an immediacy that draws us into Justin's dreamlike world - everything is NOW, this isn't something he's looking back on and rationalizing.

Fellow insomniacs with a taste for the slightly surreal will enjoy this.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
tothepoint
Writer

A NEW REVIEW FROM AMAZON

Are you awake while you're reading this?

Are you sure?

If you usually sleep soundly through the night, every night, this strangely charming but off-center book might just keep you awake... and peering into shadows... and wondering if your loved ones really exist. And for anyone who's ever suffered from sleep deprivation, Cafe Insomniac is a delightfully disturbing walk down (repressed) memory lane, a stroll through a Hitchcock movie set -- with David Lynch on their heels.

Cafe Insomniac is unpredictable. And quietly unnerving. And there's a murder.

What's not to love?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
tothepoint
Writer

ANOTHER REVIEW

Café Insomniac keeps you guessing until the very end. The main character, Justin, is a sweet, naïve, dreamer you will find yourself rooting for. He is an incurable insomniac and exists on very little sleep. Because of this, he has been forced to give up his chosen profession of teaching children and is opening an overnight café with the financial backing of his father, who is a shrewd businessman. There are many lovable characters who show up along the way and also a few villainous ones.

The best aspect of this story to me is the surreal quality caused by Justin's insomnia. You're never quite sure what is real and what is a dream or hallucination brought on by his sleep deprivation.

The romance is sweet, and the conflict is that of the innocence and exuberance of youth pitted against the greediness and guile of the world.

I would highly suggest this book for almost anyone. It is a metaphysical mystery, suspense and romance, fun to read and hard to put down!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
tothepoint
Writer

HERE'S ANOTHER

To start this off, I must tell you that you will be confused, but it's a good kind of confused. There was a point where I was reading, turned to Sam, and said "I have no idea what the heck is going on here". I'm pretty sure this is how Justin, the main character, would describe as he dealt with the events. However, this doesn't mean it was a bad book. I actually found it pretty spectacular. A lot of the writing flowed very well, even being poetic at times. The story was full of characters who were deadly, odd, or even appearing to be from Wonderland. The story pulls readers immediately into the life of a man with severe insomnia, which helps to give the confusion a meaning. My favorite part of this book was the confusion, once I got to the end and learned what it was. It was fascinating to think about, definitely had me on my toes. I would highly recommend this book to everyone I meet. I loved the confusion this book entailed and it's such a fun read, not even counting the fact that it was written beautifully. On a scale of one to ten, this book gets an eleven.

Last edited by tothepoint; 12-26-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
tothepoint
Writer

Cafe Insomniac is FREE on 26-27 December
Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
nice been wanting to give this a go and have been putting it off til the season ends.

Thanks!

happy holidays
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
tothepoint
Writer

Thanks, Gabby.

I know the problem. All that eating, drinking and making merry plays havoc with my reading habit.

Tags
contemporary fantasy, mystery, urban fantasy