Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I'm not in Canada, but my local independent bookseller sells Kobo devices. They have the Aura HD, Glo, and Mini, and when I asked about the Aura they said they would get them when their supplier gets them. Since Kobo only directly feeds Chapters/Indigo stores at retail, anywhere else won't have Auras until the supply chain catches up (probably later this month).

Also, I don't know how much stock I'd put in a random Walmart guy saying they had to send theirs back. Unless he was store inventory manager, it's unlikely he knows what's going on.

I'm not saying there aren't issues. I'm just saying that they may be well within industry standard tolerances that everybody has, but because this is internet you end up with a selection bias for broken units.
AFAIK he is the store manager in electronics and hardware, and by all he meant those that were returned by customers as defective and he did say all. Whether he actually knows or not I can't say. Again I don't know for sure he is the manager, an employee told me to ask him and said that he was.

I agree about the complaints being biased usually, but there seemed to be very few complaints hardware wise with the Aura or mini in this forum. Likewise with Sony's and most kindles, and those that are complaining about Auras seemed really disappointed.

I also think mobile read people may be fussier than the average consumer, so I find it a little odd that all went back as defective. Lot of people would not even notice a pinhole light.

I will have to go to Indigo and view one one of these days and ask those guys. I've always had excellent customer service at Indigo.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Kindle Paperwhite with Kindle Keyboard's page turn buttons, and possibly in 7''-8'' size. And with better organisation (folders). That would be perfect in every way.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Page turn buttons on both sides like the kindle keyboard. Plus home button.
16G internal memory (minimum) plus SD slot.

No WiFi or 3G. Load via USB only.
No archive at all. Folders for organization managed by computer.
I want to organize my books my way.

Search that searches metadata for tags, author, title, series.
Better yet, ability from inside the catalog created by Calibre to click on a title and have it open the book.

For the PC app ability to use speech recognition programs to control app.
For those without use of hands either temporary or permanent.
I don't understand why they didn't make the apps compatible with the programs from the start.

More memory and the ability to handle large libraries is my top wish.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
The upcoming imcoV6L is pretty close to what I envision, though I'd prefer if it was slimmer. Also, something a little beefier under the hat would be good (I want to be able to run Calibre Companion and a custom reader on it), though that would probably drive battery life way down.

But it does have a lot of what I want: e-ink, capacitive touchscreen, physical page turn buttons on the sides, MP3 support with a 3.5mm jack and speakers, MicroSD slot, frontlight, Android.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Sony 350 with switch-on glow light.

That's it ........
I'd even settle for the 650 although I love the smaller 350 size, but this would truly be my ideal reader with a front light.

The 350 is still the reader I judge all others by.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #21
rav555
rav555 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Any reader that has SD storage and can run Calibre as a library manager and e-book reader. I am sick and tired of clumsy ebook software. Kindle is the worst.
rav555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
The size of the Kobo Aura HD and at least its resolution (more would be even better for font rendering).
Flush screen like the Kobo Aura.
Page turn buttons like the Nook and/or/at least the screen areas configurable to allow forward page turning from both left and right sides (maybe with the top or bottom 1/4 of the screen for back page).
Front light levels like the Kobo Aura. Extra: configurable color temperature, even if only a choice between warm (yellowish) and cold (bluish).
Waterproof and shockproof (at least more than the current crop).
Slightly faster CPU and e-Ink renderer for the occasional use of the browser.
More possibility for configuration and better granularity of some settings (maybe in the form of one or more "Advanced" menus so as not to make the "normal" setting-up experience too long/demanding).

For me the storage size of current gen. devices (and the fact that you can also have a 32 GB micro-SD as well on many of them) is enough.

I guess my real wish is for a device that perfectly combines a tablet and an e-book reader (of 7" or so screen size) in the sense of having a screen that doubles up as LCD for tablet use and pure (B&W) E-Ink for simple reading but this is for the far ahead future (3 years +).
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
For novels it would be a PW2 with KK page turn buttons and a bit more storage space.

For comics and magazines, a tablet in the 8.x size range with less weight than current options.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #24
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Kindle paperwhite, lighter and a way longer battery life. That would be perfect for me. I have found the battery life on the paperwhite compared to the touch is shocking.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #25
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Paperwhite with physical buttons. Can I have that?
4GB of space as well. That's it.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Sony 350 with switch-on glow light.

That's it ........
And a mechanism for my daily Calibre recipes to magically appear (Wifi and Calibre Companion?) and we're on a winner.

If we're going to get picky, faster page turns too.

Oh, and page turn buttons where the fake metal paint doesn't rub off over time .

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #27
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
And a mechanism for my daily Calibre recipes to magically appear (Wifi and Calibre Companion?) and we're on a winner.

If we're going to get picky, faster page turns too.

Oh, and page turn buttons where the fake metal paint doesn't rub off over time .

Cheers,
Simon.
Sounds like you want a basic Kindle in a lighted cover, since it can do all of this.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav555 View Post
Any reader that has SD storage and can run Calibre as a library manager and e-book reader. I am sick and tired of clumsy ebook software. Kindle is the worst.
I'm curious to know in what way you consider it to be the worst? In what way specifically is it worst?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I have high hopes for the EARL e-book reader when it makes it out the door, but we will see...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
Kindle paperwhite, lighter and a way longer battery life. That would be perfect for me. I have found the battery life on the paperwhite compared to the touch is shocking.
If you're getting a significantly shorter battery life than Amazon advertise, you really should contact them for advice - your PW may be faulty. If you are getting the advertised battery life, there's really no reason it should shock you, given that it's clearly specified in the product description.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote