Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I love my Kobo, but...(current grumbles)

I really do love it, I do. But there's two things that are currently driving me batty.

First is the persistent multiple shelves problem. Now I can't delete them or rename them or anything--it goes through the "do you want to delete this" game, but nothing happens. It's an irritant because it's created extra pages of shelves for me to page through when I'm adding books. Has anybody found a solution to this yet?

Secondly, I'm really not liking the new addition of "download now" for kepubs that I've already deleted; they're stuck in my shelves and there's no way to get rid of them except to download the book, remove it from the shelf, and then delete it again. Any particular reason this was added? I can understand wanting to remind me to download my books, but having the option to remove them from a list, rather than just the "download" option would be nice.

I know these don't sound like much, but I'm obsessive about my organising, and these things just irritate the bejeezus out of me because they either slow me down or muck up my shelves. And my OCD just hates that.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quite understandably maddening! It would drive me nuts too, even without "real" OCD.

I assume you tried all the usual resets and syncs and etc?

I thought the multiple shelves things was a Kobo server error that they had fixed by now? I recently read in another thread someone with multiple Kobo devices advised to NOT sync several devices in short succession, but to wait a while between syncing devices 1–4. They said that syncing device 1 and then device 2 immediately after would cause shelves to multiply... Do you perhaps have multiple devices? Otherwise, I wouldn't know what to suggest I'm afraid.

As for the download option of deleted books... haven't seen that myself.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Yes, I did a reset a while back (early December, I believe)--all it did, after I synched, was to reinstall (redownload?) the multiple shelves. I've done several syncs over the last couple of months, no change there.

I only own the one Kobo, so there's no cross-device shenanigans going on in that department.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Yes, I did a reset a while back (early December, I believe)--all it did, after I synched, was to reinstall (redownload?) the multiple shelves. I've done several syncs over the last couple of months, no change there.

I only own the one Kobo, so there's no cross-device shenanigans going on in that department.
I think at this point, I would cave and start a support ticket with Kobo (painful as that's likely to be). Not positive they have fully tracked down the problem or not (my duplicates are currently gone) but they they may be able to clean up something on your account and get rid of them for you.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I think at this point, I would cave and start a support ticket with Kobo (painful as that's likely to be). Not positive they have fully tracked down the problem or not (my duplicates are currently gone) but they they may be able to clean up something on your account and get rid of them for you.
Oh dear. I'm deathly afraid they're going to tell me to do a reset, which I've already done (and which didn't solve the problem). I HATE having to do resets, because then I have to sideload my 1000+ library ALL OVER AGAIN.

Maybe I can convince them I already did one recently and won't have to do another one...
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Oh dear. I'm deathly afraid they're going to tell me to do a reset, which I've already done (and which didn't solve the problem). I HATE having to do resets, because then I have to sideload my 1000+ library ALL OVER AGAIN.

Maybe I can convince them I already did one recently and won't have to do another one...
I'm pretty sure you did one right after you get the reply to your new support ticket didn't you . This is one instance where I'd actually ignore that advice and let on you just did another one (normally I wouldn't suggest that since a reset can solve a lot of problems). Hopefully when you get to Tier 2 they can get you sorted out.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I really do love it, I do. But there's two things that are currently driving me batty.

First is the persistent multiple shelves problem. Now I can't delete them or rename them or anything--it goes through the "do you want to delete this" game, but nothing happens. It's an irritant because it's created extra pages of shelves for me to page through when I'm adding books. Has anybody found a solution to this yet?
The last couple of times this happened, I opened the database and did a mass delete of the extra shelves. They came back a couple of weeks after the first time, but they haven't from the last time. But, I've sent you a PM about this.
Quote:
Secondly, I'm really not liking the new addition of "download now" for kepubs that I've already deleted; they're stuck in my shelves and there's no way to get rid of them except to download the book, remove it from the shelf, and then delete it again. Any particular reason this was added? I can understand wanting to remind me to download my books, but having the option to remove them from a list, rather than just the "download" option would be nice.
Where do you have a "download now" option? I can't remember seeing this in any of the released firmware versions.

But, removing a book from a shelf is done by editing the shelf. Press the menu for the shelf and select "Edit". The next screen shows all the books on the shelf with a tick next to it. Pressing the tick will remove the book from the shelf when the changes are save.

Having said that, I checked that what I said was right. The first shelf on my list says it had two books. But, when I did the edit it showed no books. When I viewed the list, there were two books with "Buy now" buttons. Is this what you are seeing? If the cause of this is what I think it is, it is something the calibre driver does. I will look at it and fix it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

I answered your PM.

Now, in terms of the "Download Now" thingie...

Basically, what I get is this. Let's say I have Book A in .kepub form, which I bought and downloaded to my Kobo (which is what I usually do).

I add Book A.kepub to one of my shelves. Then, let's say I use software to make a regualr .epub of book A (which I sometimes do, because some of the kepubs are huge). I then sideload Book A.epub, delete Book A.kepub.

All should be well, right? The problem is that when I go back to the shelf where I had put the Book A.kepub, instead of it being gone after I deleted it, it's still listed there, with a "DOWNLOAD" button to the right of it. Hang on, I'll take a picture with my phone.

So now I'm stuck with all these books in my shelves that I can't do anything with except to, as I mentioned, redownload the book, remove it from the shelf, and then delete it again.

Attaching picture. Sorry it's blurry, I'm still a bit logy.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried going to the I'm Reading portion of the Kobo Books web site and deleting the books there?

After doing that do a WiFi Sync or a Sync with Kobo Desktop.

Also how are you dropping the kEpub format from your device right now? I think what might have happened is that the book has been dropped from the contents table but still remains in the shelfcontent table.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

That's a thought--I'll give that a try. Still, if you don't know about the "I'm Reading" (or didn't think of it 'till somebody mentions it--thank you!), it's a bit of a workaround.

As for deleting, I usually just use the "delete" option available from the Kobo itself (when you press for the book menu on the right-hand side).
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
I answered your PM.

Now, in terms of the "Download Now" thingie...

Basically, what I get is this. Let's say I have Book A in .kepub form, which I bought and downloaded to my Kobo (which is what I usually do).

I add Book A.kepub to one of my shelves. Then, let's say I use software to make a regualr .epub of book A (which I sometimes do, because some of the kepubs are huge). I then sideload Book A.epub, delete Book A.kepub.

All should be well, right? The problem is that when I go back to the shelf where I had put the Book A.kepub, instead of it being gone after I deleted it, it's still listed there, with a "DOWNLOAD" button to the right of it. Hang on, I'll take a picture with my phone.

So now I'm stuck with all these books in my shelves that I can't do anything with except to, as I mentioned, redownload the book, remove it from the shelf, and then delete it again.

Attaching picture. Sorry it's blurry, I'm still a bit logy.
This happened to me after I sideloaded 2.3.2. I synched my Kobo with the Kobo desktop app and that got rid of them. Then I went back to 2.3.1.

Good luck
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you tried going to the I'm Reading portion of the Kobo Books web site and deleting the books there?
Hello,

this may be slightly off topic, but still related to how the Kobo website and the devices work together.

I've been wondering about the "I'm reading" section since I have a Kobo. I don't want all the books to be synchronized with the eReader (one is too heavy for the device's good). Since I don't have the desktop software, I do everything through WIFI. So when initializing the device, I have deleted a couple of books from the "I'm reading" section of the website. But then, they also disappear from the "bought" section and I'm afraid of losing them for good.
Is it safe to do so? Can we keep books in the "delete" section for months or years?

I find the website quite confusing
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Hello,

this may be slightly off topic, but still related to how the Kobo website and the devices work together.

I've been wondering about the "I'm reading" section since I have a Kobo. I don't want all the books to be synchronized with the eReader (one is too heavy for the device's good). Since I don't have the desktop software, I do everything through WIFI. So when initializing the device, I have deleted a couple of books from the "I'm reading" section of the website. But then, they also disappear from the "bought" section and I'm afraid of losing them for good.
Is it safe to do so? Can we keep books in the "delete" section for months or years?

I find the website quite confusing
I've found that when I go back to a book on the website (say, just in a regular search), and it's one I've already bought, there will be no buy option--just a download one.

So I'm pretty sure you can't lose them for good. It's recorded somewhere in the Halls of Kobo that you've purchased it, and you can retrieve it again--that way, at least.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Correct; stuff stays in the trash indefinitely
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

So re: the "download" button and books in shelves...

I deleted stuff from my "I'm Reading" section on the website, did an update via wifi, but no joy. The books and buttons are still there.

I suppose I can try and sync it with the Kobo Desktop app, but for some reason the app and my Kobo don't like to play nice with each other, so I usually avoid using it. But I'll give it a try.

Edit: Synched with the Kobo app, no changes.

Last edited by Corpsegoddess; 02-08-2013 at 11:22 PM.