Notices

Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #46
User Name
Member Retired
User Name began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Alright, calibre lovers. It's time to get together to talk about the one or two features you would like to see implemented in a near release of calibre. Kovid has spent many hours developing, troubleshooting, and documenting our favorite Reader program so I am proposing that we give back and sponsor him to develop the feature(s) the forum wants most. [...]
What about you?
I would like to see a FreeBSD version.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 AM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It should just run on BSD if you can get all the dependencies installed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #48
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I may look into that myself, I've created FreeBSD ports before so doing one to install calibre shouldn't be too awkward (I hope!)
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #49
User Name
Member Retired
User Name began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It should just run on BSD if you can get all the dependencies installed.
The problem is not so much about getting it installed and running, but more a matter of getting it *installed cleanly* so it can be removed again without leaving a mess behind. Ideally that would have to be done by setting it up as a so-called "port" (which is FreeBSD's software installation- and package management mechanism).
It's ages ago since I did my last FreeBSD port and I haven't dealt a lot with python so far either, but as it seems, simond wants to take a look.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #50
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
The main problem I can see is the very frequent updates
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #51
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
Post epub epub epub

Readers made by Jinke (Hanlin, lBook, BeBook etc.) now officially have ePub support:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19772

!
jotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #52
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Ok I created another chipin for the ePub support!

http://calibre.chipin.com/epub-support-for-calibre

Do you guys think I should put these two links in a new thread?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #53
jotheman
Sleeper.

Lightbulb Yes

Quote:
Do you guys think I should put these two links in a new thread?
Definitely!

Maybe with a catchy title like "Calibre's new features - ePub support and automated news download!"

I guess what I'm saying is: don't mention ChipIn in the title, let people discover their lust for these features by making them think they're already available.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post
Definitely!

Maybe with a catchy title like "Calibre's new features - ePub support and automated news download!"

I guess what I'm saying is: don't mention ChipIn in the title, let people discover their lust for these features by making them think they're already available.
You know... I remember doing a chipin before to get Kovid a Kindle. It was closed and the thread removed from here. I'm not sure why... something about it being begging for money?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #55
jotheman
Sleeper.

Talking epub 加油 !

Wow, take a look at the epub-chipin! People really seem to dig that feature, hehe.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm glad, because coding epub support is going to be more fun that writing a GUI for automated news downloading.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post
Wow, take a look at the epub-chipin! People really seem to dig that feature, hehe.
So, what are the features of the ePub support? The description is very vauge.

Will this become the native storage format for the app, rather than a database?

Will you be able to convert other formats to ePub? What formats will be supported?

Will you be able to support ePub to other formats or still just .LRF? If so, what formats will be supported?

Will you be able to specify what formats to output when doing a save to disk/update reader?

BOb
Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #58
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Kovid, perhaps you can give us some more details on what you're planning and we can include that on the description?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #59
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm planning *2EPUB where * is the same set as supported for the conversion to LRF. Initially at least (until the bugs are worked out) the conversion will be command line based. Then I'll add an option to the GUI to let the user specify their preferred output format (EPUB or LRF) and all the rest of the GUI functions will take that choice into account.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm planning *2EPUB where * is the same set as supported for the conversion to LRF. Initially at least (until the bugs are worked out) the conversion will be command line based. Then I'll add an option to the GUI to let the user specify their preferred output format (EPUB or LRF) and all the rest of the GUI functions will take that choice into account.
I see... not really usefull to me at this point, since I don't really have anything to read ePub with. I think ePub to LRF and ePub to Mobi would be the most needed tools. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

I will still chipin seeing as I've gotten much use out of this tool.

BOb