Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
nowthenmobile
Enthusiast
nowthenmobile is on a distinguished road

Device: none
It's about time I gave an update to this thread.

We deleted all our books from the eReader (probably not necessary) and uninstalled the Reader Library software (old style software). I actually deleted the C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation folder but I don't know if that was necessary.
I reinstalled Reader Library and things worked a lot better. We have been using it for a little while now and all still seems to be fine. We'll see how it goes.
The children are excited because they have just managed to borrow their first epub from a library - Artemis Fowl. So we're all set.
Thank you for all your comments
nowthenmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Calibre by far.

I use the Sony Reader software only to buy books from the Sony store.

Calibre has the advantage of automatically creating collections based whatever data you want. Author, Series, Tags, A custom column. And it can cause the collections to be sorted in any other you like. So Series based collections are sorted in series order. I make Author collections based on a custom column, so I can add a sort order, and I have it sorted by published date. I prefer to read authors in the order they wrote them.

I had Sony Reader mess up my collections and collection order several times. So I stopped using it.

Calibre also allows you to change or add a cover.

With some add ins, it can change which 3 books show up on the home page of the reader, and even change the New tag (turn it off or on).
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowthenmobile View Post
It's about time I gave an update to this thread.

We deleted all our books from the eReader (probably not necessary) and uninstalled the Reader Library software (old style software). I actually deleted the C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation folder but I don't know if that was necessary.
I reinstalled Reader Library and things worked a lot better. We have been using it for a little while now and all still seems to be fine. We'll see how it goes.
The children are excited because they have just managed to borrow their first epub from a library - Artemis Fowl. So we're all set.
Thank you for all your comments
Thanks for the update, nowthenmobile! I'm glad you found a solution and that your kids are excited and enjoying e-reading from the library. I am currently reading a book from my library as well. It's great how convenient it is to borrow a book from the comfort of your own home.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for the update, nowthenmobile! I'm glad you found a solution and that your kids are excited and enjoying e-reading from the library. I am currently reading a book from my library as well. It's great how convenient it is to borrow a book from the comfort of your own home.
Sorry to barge in here, but you mentioned that you use a Mac with the Sony software. Which version do you use? I uninstalled it because it was giving me fits, but I read later that you have to have it installed in order to register a PRS-T1 with Adobe.

I usually use Calibre. It works with my Nook as well as my PRS-T1.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Sorry to barge in here, but you mentioned that you use a Mac with the Sony software. Which version do you use? I uninstalled it because it was giving me fits, but I read later that you have to have it installed in order to register a PRS-T1 with Adobe.

I usually use Calibre. It works with my Nook as well as my PRS-T1.
I don't have the Sony software installed - I registered it from the device. Just selected the Sony Store button on the T1, put in my Sony login (or you can create a new one if needed), and once you are logged in, it pops up asking you for your Adobe ID user/password. After that you can use the Sony store, the library, or sideload Adobe DRM'd epubs.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I registered my T1 wirelessly through the Reader Store as well. I have given up on the Reader for Mac software for syncing. I only use it for purchases now. I have switched to calibre to manage my library and transfer books to my T1.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #22
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Thanks CWatkiknsNash and Bookworm_Girl for your help. Simpler is better.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote