Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I'd call them a few things, but my dictionary doesn't have those words...

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #32
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
This is what parents fear all that dictionary reading could lead up to-- dancing!:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...102dance1.html

Remember kids, Patrick Swayze danced like this, and now he is dead!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #33
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
So I guess that's farewell to the f-words and the c-words, and I suppose the p-word and the v-word will have to go too; better get rid of the s-words, b-words, n-word; *and* the j-word and the m-word. Better go the Fahrenheit 451 route, burn the dictionaries and have abstract symbols for all those 'difficult' things.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #34
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
*sigh*.

All of these "evil" words were invented because there was a need to describe something. If we take those words out, they will invent different words to describe the same thing a la Alex in A Clockwork Orange.

If my setpson asks me, I'll warn him that it's about *that*, and tell him the truth.

If we outlaw words we become a police state.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Please can we stop calling them dictionaries, it sounds so rude!

Definitionaries is now the preferred term.

Oh, and also can you stop using your dictaphone; use your finger like everyone else.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Oh, and also can you stop using your dictaphone; use your finger like everyone else.
Hear! Hear!

Yet more words of wisdom from the fellow who looks up petticoats!

I'm with you, bro!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-28-2010 at 10:29 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #37
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

And taking dictation is right out as well.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #38
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
And taking dictation is right out as well.
Especially if the person doing the dictating is a certain former presidente with a predilection for cigars...

Wait, wait! Would "predilection" be outlawed too? Does sound kinda perverted...
Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #39
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

And of course, after they kicked Pluto out of the Planet Club, we'll most likely have to rename Uranus.

Or we could deliberately mispronounce it, like newscasters do with the word harassment (they'll pronounce it "HAIR-ess-ment" instead of "her-ASS-ment", at least in the Midwest).
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #40
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
No more Diary of Anne Frank either

http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/new...it_text/51217/

Quote:
A version of an iconic autobiography detailing a young Jewish girl’s two-year experience hiding from Nazis in a cramped “Secret Annex” has been pulled from the shelves of Culpeper County Public Schools.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #41
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Yeah, because, y'know, females have only had reproductive organs since 1943.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #42
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
actually it was amazingly graphic writing in some respects. I think I was 10 or 11 when I first read it and only had a vague idea of what she was talking about in the bits about her self discovery
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #43
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
According to Amazon.com, “Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl,” tops the list of commonly banned children’s books in public schools nationwide.

The reason listed for banning this book is “for being too depressing for students.”
Yes, because our children should be allowed to grow up believing the world is full of nothing but butterflies and rainbows!
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #44
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Apparently I read the first edition because I have no recollection of any sexual references. They say the definitive edition, with the 30% of the text her father edited out, was only published in 1995, and I'm positive I read it before it's release.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #45
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Apparently I read the first edition because I have no recollection of any sexual references. They say the definitive edition, with the 30% of the text her father edited out, was only published in 1995, and I'm positive I read it before it's release.
There's a "Revised Critical Edition" by the Netherlands Institute for War Documentation that places three versions (I thinks its original scans of everything, the Otto Frank version, and the "complete" version) all next to each other on the page (I have no idea if they'd be able to do this in ebook form). It also has a lot of reference and historical material in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Anne-Fra.../dp/0385508476

The diary is rated by my sister as having the most profound affect on her of any book when growing up, and it's still a subject that occupies her, and so I bought this version for her. She says that, for her, it's "the ultimate".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote