Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How is the new Kelley Armstrong YA novel?

Just curious if anyone has read the new Kelley Armstrong? I like her 'women of the underworld' series, but this one is a YA novel and the summary was not too inspiring (a Sacred Destiny which interferes with hunting boys, for example. Not my thing.) So, any comments before I decide?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
If you mean The Summoning. I read that a few weeks ago.........like you I love the Otherworld series. But I was not too keen on this one. It starts out well, but ended up feeling very much like I was reading about the school they have in the Xmen. I quickly got a bit bored and started skimming the last quarter of the book. It definitely has a young adult feel to it, much teen angst etc. Don;t get me wrong, the quality is still high, it may be that I'm just too old . Don't get me wrong it is a decent read, not rubbish by any means, just not my taste, it wasn't deep enough if you get what I mean.
If you love Twilight you will probably enjoy this one, not because its the same story, but it has the same feel/atmosphere. I personally found Twilight had a definite young adult feel too...
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's a "YA" novel?

EDIT: Never mind, just realised: "Young Adult"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks, Babyd. That's what I feared. I did not particularly like Twilight I'll skip this one. I am going in a week to see Kelley Armstrong at a talk so I may try and get in a question about what's coming next
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
UKHaiku
Enthusiast
UKHaiku doesn't litterUKHaiku doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's a "YA" novel?

EDIT: Never mind, just realised: "Young Adult"?
Yeah, if we don't know what YA stands for we're probably too old to read the book...
UKHaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKHaiku View Post
Yeah, if we don't know what YA stands for we're probably too old to read the book...
Not at all - it's a genre I love. You may have noticed that I've uploaded literally dozens of such books to the book uploads forum here.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
YA = Young adult
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
YA = Young adult
It seems to be a genre name that's rather mis-applied. I don't know about elsewhere, but in the UK one becomes an adult at the age of 18, so I'd say that a "young adult" would be someone between the age of 18 and perhaps their mid 20s. Many of the books categorised as "YA", on the other hand, seem to be aimed more at quite young teenagers. I prefer personally to classify such books as "Juvenile" fiction.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
In the U.S. Young Adult == teenager.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
IS the YA a big market as also Noticed John Scalzi has done a new book specifically aimed at the YA audience called Zoe's Tale
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
In the U.S. Young Adult == teenager.
In this context, the term YA is totally wrong. I consider a YA to be someone who is an adult but not 100% an adult until the age of 21. So to me, YA means the ages of 18-20 and once you hit 21 you are not longer a YA.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Didn't we have this discussion before?

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Young adult may refer to:
  • * Young adult (psychology), persons aged 18 to 39
  • * Young adult fiction, works targeted to ages 12 to 18
  • * Youth, aged around 15 to 25.
The same word can mean many things... The history was interesting:
Quote:
The first recognition of young adults as a distinct group was by Sarah Trimmer, who in 1802 described "young adulthood" as lasting from ages 14 to 21.[citation needed] In her self-founded children's literature periodical, The Guardian of Education, Trimmer introduced the terms "Books for Children" (for those under fourteen) and "Books for Young Persons" (for those between fourteen and twenty-one), establishing terms of reference for young adult literature that remain in use today[1]. However, nineteenth-century publishers didn't specifically market to young readers, and adolescent culture didn't exist in a modern sense. Nonetheless, there were books published in the nineteenth century that appealed to young readers (Garland 1998, p. 6):
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The wiki is wrong in this case. You are not a young adult until you become an adult at the age of 18. So under 18 is not a young adult. So anyone targeting 13-17 is not young adult fiction.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The wiki is wrong in this case. You are not a young adult until you become an adult at the age of 18. So under 18 is not a young adult. So anyone targeting 13-17 is not young adult fiction.
That would be my interpretation too, Jon, but apparently the publishing industry thinks otherwise . I'd guess that it's done to attract teenagers who (presumably) like to think of themselves as being "young adults" even if the law says otherwise.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That would be my interpretation too, Jon, but apparently the publishing industry thinks otherwise . I'd guess that it's done to attract teenagers who (presumably) like to think of themselves as being "young adults" even if the law says otherwise.
Whoever wrote the wiki entry needs to go back and fix it. Because legally it's all screwed up. No way in heck is a 30 year old person a young adult. No way is anyone under the age of 18 a young adult. No way a 12 year old who not not even a teenager a young adult. This is just wrong.