Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad 1/2/Air, K3/PW2/Fire1, Kobo Touch, Samsung Tab, Nook Color/Touch
EPUB2 Font Embedding InDesign

I want to start by acknowledging that this is a pretty trivial point. Good, that's done.

I'm watching Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on EPUB creation with InDesign. In two different videos, she states that font embedding is not possible with EPUB2, only EPUB3.

This was pretty confusing to me, because Anne-Marie is one of the most recognized authorities on the InDesign -> EPUB workflow. AFAIK it's perfectly possible to embed fonts in EPUB2...I've been doing it for several years now. Sure, not all e-readers necessarily support it, but the most common ones seem to.

Anyone know what she would be referring to? Just simplifying the "spotty support" into "no support" for the newbies on the eBook scene? I feel like submitting feedback on the course because the statements are wrong and misleading, but I want to confirm that I'm not crazy.
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I have to admit I dropped InDesign like a hot-potato (after a couple days of trial) many years ago when I discovered Sigil. So my response is pretty much pure conjecture...

Perhaps the InDesign software doesn't have the capability of physically embedding the files into the ePub...because, of course, ePub2/3 DOES support it.

If the software CAN physically do it, then I would wright a critique to the video publisher.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2016, 05:34 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If she says that InDesign cannot do it, she might be right (but even that I doubt it). If she makes the statement with regards to ePUB2 in general, she is very wrong of course.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc View Post
I'm watching Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on EPUB creation with InDesign. In two different videos, she states that font embedding is not possible with EPUB2, only EPUB3.
Maybe the tutorial was an older version of InDesign?

A quick search lead to this. According to:

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...ing-fonts.html

Quote:
One of the most appreciated improvements to InDesign with the new Creative Cloud edition is that it finally embeds fonts in a way that iBooks understands.

[...]

The problem is that InDesign CS 6 doesn't do it right. Whether it's Adobe's fault or Apple's or the IDPF's, I've never been quite sure, but the truth is that there were two major problems: the font didn't get obfuscated properly and InDesign didn't account for iBooks' idiosyncracies (read: non-standard font requirements).

[...]

Apple's com file is totally non-standard (that is, not part of the EPUB3 spec), but regardless, if you want fonts to work in iBooks with an EPUB 2 file, that's what you need, and I think Adobe made a great decision by including that file automatically so we don't have to crack open the EPUB to add it ourselves.
So perhaps that tutorial you watched was conflating all of iBooks's bastardized EPUB with all of EPUB. Wouldn't be surprising since a lot of those InDesign people specifically design EPUBs for iBooks only... bleh.

or this older "What's new in InDesign CS5" document:

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Ado...n_cs5_epub.pdf

said this:

Quote:
Note: A number of eBook readers do not support embedded fonts, including the iBooks app on
the Apple iPad and the Amazon Kindle.
So maybe older versions of InDesign just didn't insert the "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" that iBooks needs.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-20-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
So maybe older versions of InDesign just didn't insert the "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" that iBooks needs.
Adobe used a different font obfuscation technique than Apple for EPUB 2 books, so you couldn't embed obfuscated fonts in an EPUB 2 book and expect ADE and iBooks to both be able to read them.

EPUB 3 resolved that by providing a single obfuscation standard in the spec, and now everybody is on the same page. I'd imagine that's what she meant when she said that font embedding wasn't supported—specifically that font embedding of commercial fonts was dubious in EPUB 2.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would not bother to obfuscate fonts. The best way to handle fonts is to subset them. Not only do you get fonts that cannot be used for anything other than that book, you get smaller fonts for a small size for the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad 1/2/Air, K3/PW2/Fire1, Kobo Touch, Samsung Tab, Nook Color/Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
Adobe used a different font obfuscation technique than Apple for EPUB 2 books, so you couldn't embed obfuscated fonts in an EPUB 2 book and expect ADE and iBooks to both be able to read them.

EPUB 3 resolved that by providing a single obfuscation standard in the spec, and now everybody is on the same page. I'd imagine that's what she meant when she said that font embedding wasn't supported—specifically that font embedding of commercial fonts was dubious in EPUB 2.
Ah, interesting. Yes, I remember that vaguely. Well, in the more recent InDesign versions (CS6 forward, I think) Adobe switched to just using the standard IDPF obfuscation techniques, and they added the right metadata file in, so their EPUB2s with obfuscated fonts can be read just fine by iBooks.

Anyway, you're probably right--thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not bother to obfuscate fonts. The best way to handle fonts is to subset them. Not only do you get fonts that cannot be used for anything other than that book, you get smaller fonts for a small size for the book.
I don't disagree with your point that subsetting is more effective than obfuscation at deterring theft, but I feel compelled to point out that your comment is only vaguely, tangentially related to this thread.
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub 2, font embedding