Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #226
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I've seen NO announcement at GR. and from what other readers are saying, there were no twitter updates during the whole time either.
Things that make you go "hmmmm"...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #227
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
To change the topic up a bit--a few years back (between 2 and 3? over one for sure) Amazon changed the links to the book forums that included the Kindle forum and various genre discussion forums. If you had, say, the cozy forum bookmarked, the bookmark wouldn't work all of a sudden. A lot of people drifted away if they didn't have another way to get there (via an email response if they were following a conversation, for example.) Anyway, at the same time Amazon also seemed to have taken the lists of forums away from the bottom of some books--making the forums less and less visible for newer people. They started blocking authors from linking to their books about the same time.

Well, yesterday, I also noticed that the "discussion" tab is no longer on every single kindle book across the top (there's various options there). It used to be there, but I was doing a review for Frank Tuttle's book and wanted to then go to the discussion boards--but the link wasn't there. I checked some other kindle books--sometimes there, sometimes not.

Could be a glitch. Or are they continuing to herd people to shelfari and/or goodreads and away from the discussion boards on Amazon? The forum may be too bothersome to continue with, they may find that the same old people there all the time aren't buying much, they don't want to moderate it (and why bother when they have GR and Shelfari?)

Just a curiosity really.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #228
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I've seen NO announcement at GR. and from what other readers are saying, there were no twitter updates during the whole time either.
Things that make you go "hmmmm"...
Yeah, just the one at the beginning:

Quote:
goodreads (@goodreads) tweeted at 6:51 PM on Fri, Apr 12, 2013:
Goodreads is down for some visitors. We're working on fixing the problem - thanks for your patience, everyone!
(https://twitter.com/goodreads/status/322859592138760194)
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #229
franYo
franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Cybook Gen3
The Wall Street Journal has an article claiming that Apple was in talks with Goodreads first. Apparently they wanted to use their reviews within iTunes, like they are already using the Rotten Tomatos movie ratings. The article then pretty much suggests Amazon bought Goodreads just to prevent that. Which is in line with some theories mentioned here.

WSJ article.
franYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #230
roseprose
roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.roseprose can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony prs-950 daily edition
The choice seems clear: since GoodReads can no longer claim to be a site for objective reviewing, those who care can now unsubscribe. I did. Amazon will only get the message if many other have done (or will do) the same.
roseprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #231
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseprose View Post
The choice seems clear: since GoodReads can no longer claim to be a site for objective reviewing, those who care can now unsubscribe. I did. Amazon will only get the message if many other have done (or will do) the same.
The problem is that Amazon is excellent at marketing and will do a PR blast at some point. Goodreads also has many members who won't leave, and others who won't notice unless something drastic changes.

As an author, I won't leave Goodreads because too many readers will continue to use it. I can't afford to cut any threads of the web I use to catch flies . . . errrrrr readers.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #232
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Reviews are as objective on Goodreads as they are on Amazon. You have crappy reviewers on both sites.

As a reader, I have no intention on leaving Goodreads until the worst that everyone is predicting happens. Until then, it's a good resource and I'll continue to use it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #233
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Please explain how the reviews on Goodreads are any less objective than they were months ago?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #234
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
As an author, I won't leave Goodreads because too many readers will continue to use it. I can't afford to cut any threads of the web I use to catch flies . . . errrrrr readers.

I was caught.
Help meeeee!

Spoiler:

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #235
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Audible has been an Amazon subsidiary for some time. If I don't like one if their audiobooks, I write a review, with a low rating, explaining why. I've never had one deleted!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #236
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
On the other hand, I am editing my Goodreads reviews. I tend to put some work into them because I was reviewing for people who might want to read, not a corporation wanting to sell.
That's exactly it! This is going to be the point for many reviewers, that's why I think GR is going downhill in terms of quality.
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #237
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Is there any other similar site that Amazon doesn't own?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #238
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
is this common?
buy something to destroy it?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #239
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
People do love them some internet drama, don't they?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #240
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
People do love them some internet drama, don't they?
Subtitled: When books are not enough ...
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote