Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
uninvalid
uninvalid began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
How to mount /mnt/us on Windows?

I've got the ssh wifi working. But when I typed using Putty :
Quote:
kindle: sshfs -o sftp_server=/mnt/us/sftp-server root@192.168.15.244:/ kindle/
it displays "-sh kindle:: nọt found".
What shoud I do? Thanks.
uninvalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Dokan sshfs for windows: http://dokan-dev.net/en/download/

This version may be easier to install: http://code.google.com/p/win-sshfs/

You might need to install sftpd on your kindle too...

WARNING: Beware that deleing a symlink from windows using SSHFS will delete the file or folder that the symlink points to! Be very careful with sshfs. It might be a bit safer to use WinSCP instead.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-15-2012 at 03:19 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by uninvalid View Post
I've got the ssh wifi working. But when I typed using Putty :
Quote:
kindle: sshfs -o sftp_server=/mnt/us/sftp-server root@192.168.15.244:/ kindle/
it displays "-sh kindle:: nọt found".
What shoud I do? Thanks.
Clue me in, what does that command have to do with the thread topic?

That error message sure looks like you typed the: "kindle: " characters that you have quoted above.
Is the "kindle: " your input or the command prompt being displayed in Putty?

Last edited by knc1; 05-15-2012 at 04:24 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Clue me in, what does that command have to do with the thread topic?
Mounting a drive with sshfs assigns it a windows drive letter. In linux, it adds it to a mount point, so you can access it directly in the local filesystem while also using SSH. Although you can mount just /mnt/us, I prefer to mount the entire root drive.

How does mounting /mnt/us over sshfs in windows NOT have something to do with the "How to mount /mnt/us on Windows?" thread title?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Mounting a drive with sshfs assigns it a windows drive letter. In linux, it adds it to a mount point, so you can access it directly in the local filesystem while also using SSH. Although you can mount just /mnt/us, I prefer to mount the entire root drive.
You responded before I completed the edit of my post. I know what the "sshfs" command does.
I am curious about what the "kindle: " command was intended to do, which is what the error message reported as "not found".
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
How does mounting /mnt/us over sshfs in windows NOT have something to do with the "How to mount /mnt/us on Windows?" thread title?
You have been speed reading again.
There is a 20 posts/minute reading limit on this forum site.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
You responded before I completed the edit of my post. I know what the "sshfs" command does.
I am curious about what the "kindle: " command was intended to do, which is what the error message reported as "not found".
You should not send your unfinished posts back in time so that others can reply to them before they were sent, then.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
The kindle: "command" is not supposed to to anything. It's a classic case of a noob copy/pasting from the Wiki without understanding what he is doing.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ting_via_sshfs (3rd bullet).

(rant removed because I'm still trying to be courteous).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The kindle: "command" is not supposed to to anything. It's a classic case of a noob copy/pasting from the Wiki without understanding what he is doing.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ting_via_sshfs (3rd bullet).

(rant removed because I'm still trying to be courteous).
Yes, that link shows where you can download the sftpd (sftp server) that I mentioned in my first post. I tried to answer the question asked by the OP by adapting to the windows environment in which he wanted to use it. In windows, just use Dokan or its easier to use packages (the second link I provided).
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
uninvalid

Quote:
Dokan sshfs for windows: http://dokan-dev.net/en/download/

This version may be easier to install: http://code.google.com/p/win-sshfs/

You might need to install sftpd on your kindle too...

WARNING: Beware that deleing a symlink from windows using SSHFS will delete the file or folder that the symlink points to! Be very careful with sshfs. It might be a bit safer to use WinSCP instead.

Thanks for help, unfortunately both the above methods didn't work (or just me).

Then i googled out the information that SFTP don't work on fw 5.1.0 in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177936

Sigh, i managed to get this far.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks for help, unfortunately both the above methods didn't work (or just me).

Then i googled out the information that SFTP don't work on fw 5.1.0 in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177936

Sigh, i managed to get this far.
If you read the rest of that thread, you will see that it works when you symlink it. Go back and read a few posts down from your link.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
uninvalid

Quote:
If you read the rest of that thread, you will see that it works when you symlink it. Go back and read a few posts down from your link.
Okay, the last (i hope so) question is:

How do I "symlink it" if the kindle drive don't appear on my computer. I mean symlinking is just a shortcut right?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Okay, the last (i hope so) question is:

How do I "symlink it" if the kindle drive don't appear on my computer. I mean symlinking is just a shortcut right?
You need to do it from SSH, and you can only create a symlink on a drive that supports it (such as the main partition), but you can symlink TO files on the USB drive. A windows shortcut is completely different and will not work for this purpose.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Here is the command you have to perform on the kindle to get sftp to work:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here is the command you have to perform on the kindle to get sftp to work:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
I have my hands a bit full at the moment to check into specifics, so I gave a "general principles" answer. Thank you for supplying specific relevant details.