Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
AC Charger - Will Any (mini) USB Charger Do?

I have an old Blackberry AC-to-mini USB charger lying around. The DC output is described as +5.0V and 0.5A. Will this work with my (wonderful) Cybook?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
kkingdon
Enthusiast
kkingdon doesn't litterkkingdon doesn't litterkkingdon doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle Paperwhite
I've used a 3rd-party AC-to-USB adapter along with the Cybook usb cable without a problem.
kkingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 5v, 0.5A is a part of the USB standard. If the plug fits (some of them have a plastic surround which stops them from doing so) it should work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
leeloo
multipass
leeloo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Harry, Good call. The mini-plug itself is too wide (by a mm or so - I could have at it with an xacto if necessary), but the xformer is still useful. (And I realise I have 2...).

Must remember to mention battery level indication in the firmware thread - it would be nice to have a bit of warning about when I'm going to be stuck on a particular page (:
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
I have an old Blackberry AC-to-mini USB charger lying around. The DC output is described as +5.0V and 0.5A. Will this work with my (wonderful) Cybook?
Leelo,

Here's a universal USB power charger that will work. I realize this particular listing may be over before you see this reply, but these are listed on eBay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-USB-AC...QQcmdZViewItem

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might be better off going with a USB charger - ie a charger with a USB connector on it. That way you can use the USB cable supplied with the Gen3.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Does anyone know if a mini phone charger will charge the 505 it says its 5v and fits the device?
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
You can get a PSP-charger for the PRS-505, it's said to work great.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
You can get a PSP-charger for the PRS-505, it's said to work great.
Although that is very true, its relevence to charging a CyBook Gen3 is, er, limited .
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #10
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
I know that his question was not referring to a Cybook (unless there is a Cybook 505 I don't know about) and hence in the wrong section of the forum, but since it is so easily answered ...
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:03 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, I hadn't spotted the question which you were answering. Yes, you're right.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I accidentally left my Cybook cable at my mom's house--since I moved to England I can't pop back and get it, and I can't be without my beloved Cybook long enough to have it mailed to me. So, I picked up a USB-miniUSB cable--and it wouldn't fit. I've read that people have cut out the side of the Cybook to allow standard mini-USB cables to fit, but I don't like the idea of defacing my baby(besides I had nothing to cut with--and knowing me I'd end up slicing my hand instead of the plastic.) Instead, I gently filed the side of the mini-USB plug that bumped into the case of the Cybook with a nail file. It works perfectly. It didn't take too long either; the plastic is quite soft.
Rene
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by momghoti View Post
I've read that people have cut out the side of the Cybook to allow standard mini-USB cables to fit, but I don't like the idea of defacing my baby(besides I had nothing to cut with--and knowing me I'd end up slicing my hand instead of the plastic.) Instead, I gently filed the side of the mini-USB plug that bumped into the case of the Cybook with a nail file.
Filing the mini-USB cable to make it fit is actually what most people have done, or cutting the sides of the plastic around the plug. I've not read of anyone actually cutting the cybook to make a mini-USB fit, and I wouldn't recommend that course of action. I think you did the right thing.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It seems that there must be different standards for the lengths of the connectors on mini-USB cables. I have at least three such cables, and they all fit the CyBook fine. Others, though, have reported these issues with the plug housing preventing it from going far enough in to the CyBook.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I have about 5 mini-USB cables, 4 work fine for the Cybook and the 5th is too big. It is good to know that the vast majority seem to fit with no issues and the rest can be 'wiggled' in or filed down to fit.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote