Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
asogn
asogn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
calibre for eBooks. What for printed books?

Hi
I am currently using calibre for keeping track of my ebooks.
However, I have a couple of thousand printed books and need to find something that can keep track of those also. And that supports ISBN lookups.

The best would have been to have only one piece of software that does all of it.

I can't seem to figure out if I can use calibre for this also.
Neither can I find any software that are able to provide me with ease of use for controlling printed book and at the same time able to do the things that I mostly do with Calibre (converting, indexing and pushing to my kindle)

Any suggestions?

Cheers
asogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I've seen plenty of people use Calibre for keeping track of printed books on these forums, myself included.

Just use the "Add empty book" menu option in the Add button dropdown menu if you want to add them one by one, or get all the ISBNs and use the Add from ISBN feature.

Then do the usual download of your metadata, and if you so wish tag the book to indicate you own it or custom columns etc.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You can keep your print and ebooks separate by either using tags (print, ebook). Or you can filter out books that don't have any ebook files by searching with "formats:true". "formats:false" will show all books without ebook files attached.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
As others have suggested, I feel it would be best if you kept dead tree books you have added to calibre in the same library as your e-books. That way, you wouldn't have to search two libraries to see if you have a certain book. You could also make a custom column for Formats to determine if a book is an e-book or not. Empty books will be blank in the format column. Pity there isn't an easy option (if there is one at all) to add a format to an empty book, especially a new one (such as DTB for Dead Tree Book or AUB for Audio Book).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
sdow1
Connoisseur
sdow1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
If you have a mac, Delicious Library is a pretty good option - you can actually use the camera on your computer to scan in the barcodes of the books.
sdow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Or you can filter out books that don't have any ebook files by searching with "formats:true". "formats:false" will show all books without ebook files attached.
You mistyped somewhere in that sentence: "formats:true" finds entries with formats attached, and "formats:false" finds entries with no formats attached.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A while back, I requested, and Kovid added the option in 'Add by ISBN' to auto-(adds to other allowed) tag: I use <In paper Library>. (976 entries of which I now have 624 in e-form)

I add small batches (10-15 books) so I can check for 'failed to add's ' (some of my books are so old, the ISBN is not found, listed or did not have one. ever) and fix or set aside for later resolution.
A (USB-keyboard wedge) barcode scanner is a boon to this task as I suspect MR folk have more than 1 bookcase
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Without taking any thunder away from Calibre, I use BookCAT to catalog my physical book library. I've tried lots of different book catalog programs (and CD catalog programs, too) over the years, but the depth of features and customization abilities in BookCAT are far superior to everything else that I've found. BookCAT can handle eBooks but that is not its focus; stick to Calibre for eBooks.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There are enough people using calibre for pbooks that I wonder if it might need a pbook format, instead of just "empty", for easier tracking? It would have to be excluded from conversion and transfer, of course, but I'd love to be able to look at a book listing and see that I have it in, say, pdf, epub, and paper. There are a dozen or so bookcases full of books just in this one room, and one of these days I really have to get organizing. As others have said, it would be nice to be able to have all my books listed in one place, and not have to duplicate effort for those I have in several forms.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just create a file called dummy.paper on your computer and add it to a paper book record.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I have a Mac and use Bookpedia for listing my paper books.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote